Illustration Series: Brainstorming for Ideas Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

spuntino
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:03 am
So I've been itching to do a series of illustrations lately, using lolita as the means of depicting the common theme. I haven't done a lot of drawing lately, and I feel like it would be good for me to get back into the habit of doing so on a daily basis.

The reason I'm posting here [and in several other places] is to get feedback on some of the ideas I've had for series. Please let me know if any of these appeal, or if you have any suggestions for others!

The Four Seasons:
        This, I sort of plan on doing in a style reflective of Alphonse Mucha's four seasons, with a heavy emphasis on linework and inspiration drawn from art nouveau lithographs. It's been done many times before, but I'd like to give it a crack, with a subdued pastel classic lolita for spring [with floral wreaths for her hair and a basket for a picnic], a sweet-sailor lolita for summer [perhaps playing with toy boats in a pond, regardless of the way it soaks her clothes], an ero-gothic lolita for fall [with lots of earthy, rich colors], and a gothic aristocrat/gothic classic blend for winter [with burgundy or hunter green to contrast the white snow].

Each would have a "frame" behind them depicting the season in traditional, western manners. An alternate on this theme would be to produce "elementals" for each season. Earth, water, fire, air, etc.

A Tarot Deck:
        Again, this has probably been done a million times, but I want to give it my own twist. I'd like to give the impression of paper cut-outs, or perhaps even create the cards as paper cut-outs using scrap booking papers on top of drawn figures/paper dolls, to depict the major arcana. I would also like to make one card to represent each of the suits of the minor arcana to go along with the series. This project, however, may be a bit too ambitious for the time being.

Woodland Creatures:
        I'm not very big on "furry" art, but have always been a fan of anthropomorphism and fantasy creatures. I think it might be fun to depict a humanized wolf in lolita, or a humanized stag in kodona. That sort of thing.

To have some of their features present, but not the whole "furry" aspect with animalized faces and figures. Ideas I have bouncing about my head: a rabbit-girl in classic lolita [with her ears tangled up in her headdress], a mouse-girl in sweet lolita [covered in crumbs at a tea party], a reindeer-girl-or-boy in kodona [with a little tophat hanging from her antlers], a swan-girl in ero lolita [such that she's surrounded by feathers and has on a neck corset] or a magpie-, mockingbird-, or raven-girl in gothic lolita [surrounded by black feathers, and covered in silver shiny-bits].

Another idea in the same category would be the depiction of mythical creatures in some manner, such as unicorns, dragons, etc.

Occupational Lolitas:
        People always talk about "ideal lolita jobs", so I thought it might be interesting to show off the hazards of such positions, as they relate to the clothing. As a few examples: a lolita baking, covered in flower and eggs, with a huge frilly apron, an artist in lolita, splattered with paint and looking very unkempt, a florist in a puddle, arranging a giant vase on tip-toes, or a lolita seamstress, draping clothing on a dress form while her own petticoats get in the way.

Characters as Lolitas:
        Normally, I'm not real big on fanart, or having characters depicted as lolitas who ordinarily aren't, but it occurs to me that depicting how certain characters might respond to being "transformed" would be entertaining. Usagi/Sailor Moon complaining that her skirt's too long compared to her usual sailor fuku, as on example, or Revy from Black Lagoon losing a bet to Eda that ends in being dressed up. That sort of thing. In-character reactions to an out-of-character situation.

Reflections of Different Eras:
        Most lolita clothing is inspired by the Victorian, Edwardian or Rococo periods. Some styles have influences from other periods, such as the 1950s, but most rely on the first three for their inspiration. I thought it might be interesting to pull elements from other eras instead. For example, Elizabethan collars, flapper-styled fringes and caps, or off-the-shoulder gowns a la the antebellum south.

I think that this one would probably be one of the most difficult to accomplish, however, since so much of lolita fashion is rooted in the previously and primarily mentioned periods above.

Does anyone have any thoughts? Suggestions?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:52 pm
My favorite thus far from the ideas you already have is the Occupational Lolita one. I find that it can be both a creative idea but a realistic one. I can actually imagine that happening in real life and to see it drawn would be just adorable ( I am guilty of the petticoat getting in the way of sewing xD)  

-Lolita_Kana-
Captain

Partying Genius

12,615 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200

Kittywitch

Witty Elocutionist

26,500 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Unbreakable Bond 150
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:44 pm
I don't think there's a single one of those ideas that doesn't tickle my fancy.
I can really see what you're saying about illustration, I've been doing so much commission work recently that I can't manage to get any of my own, really artistic art done. But, money. Even a little.
The Four Seasons is more basic, but it might be a better place to start than some of the others because it's a smaller project.
The occupational lolitas just sound cute. A big bowl of cute with a shot of satire. What's not to love?
The characters as lolitas is something I've seen at cons alot, sometimes done well, and sometimes it's just sad. It really depends on who you did. At one point I drew many of the characters from the Discworld series transformed into lolitas (it started with Rincewind, and a little hat on the edge of his head with the word "wizzard" on it). I also did something similar to the reflections of different eras, but since I'm a medieval reenactor, it was all from the dark ages to Renaissance. The dark ages were hard. The only one I was pleased with was the celtic warrior, who was much more visual-kei. But queen Elizabeth and the lancheknect were awesome.
If there was one I'd say for you not to do, I suppose it would be the lolita tarot. So I could do it instead. whee *cough* In any case...

If you pull any of these off, please link to them, I would love to see them.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:55 pm
I've started the first series, and I've decided to do a few. Probably two. I'm just deciding still. You can see the first one here: The Swan and Her Cardinal.

spuntino
Crew

caramel frappuccino

Sparkly Warrior

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:06 am
spuntino
I've started the first series, and I've decided to do a few. Probably two. I'm just deciding still. You can see the first one here: The Swan and Her Cardinal.

I saw your drawing! Very stunning! I love it! heart  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:04 pm
Absolutely gorgeous, already favorited on dA :3  

-Lolita_Kana-
Captain

Partying Genius

12,615 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200

Nilokara

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:24 pm
User Image

I agree, it's beautiful. I wish I could draw =[
Also, off topic, but I just grabbed Firelily's booty redface
221/55
User Image

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:56 pm
I vote for Occupational Lolitas! UBER KAWAII! <- cliche, but necessary to convey my feelings.

Edit: Saw the pic. I really like your style, it looks "finished" if that makes any sense. Are you going to change it after the constructive crit? If yes will you post a link and if not, it's still lovely. After all, mona lisa's got no brows and she's still pretty. wink  

A Doll Named Mouse

spuntino
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:00 pm
Annnnnd part two: the Rabbit and the Wolf

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:30 am
So, working for a press shop has its advantages. I can get these printed up on a nice gloss stock for fairly inexpensive, but I'm curious about whether or not anyone would be interested. In order to get them run on an offset press, I need to buy at least 250 or 500 prints of each [which is about 50-100 dollars, depending on format/coating, etc.].

Do you think I could sell these illustrations on post cards, perhaps 4x6" cards?
Alternately, would people be interested in miniature posters [8.5x11" cardstock or gloss text]?

If so, how much should I charge per illustrated print?

[edit]: According to our resources, I can get these UV or AQ coated, for extra glossy contrast, for the same amount, too.

spuntino
Crew

A Doll Named Mouse

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:51 am
I'd take 25 post cards of the Swan. They'd be really good for the season because of the colors. You should charge enough to make a bit of profit, enough to cover costs if half don't sell, so twice as much as each individual print costs. If it seems they'll sell well though, I think it's appropriate to expect at least 25% profit. I think, I'm not a pro on selling prints.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:56 am
Well, each print would TECHNICALLY cost between 12.5 and 25 cents to print. XD

The amount is where I'm concerned, because I'd have to sell quite a few prints at the sale rate of 200% cost [ie: 50cent per print]. I was thinking of maybe charging 3-7 dollars per print, plus shipping, depending on the size I pick. Then, later, offer a discount of like ... 5 dollars per print, but four for 15 or something.

Does that sound horribly unreasonable?

spuntino
Crew

Nilokara

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:51 am
User Image
User Image

For once you hear the screaming...

I don't think that sounds too unreasonable, and I'd definitely buy a few. They're lovely.

It never stops...

User Image
User Image

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:58 pm
If they were postcard size I would get a dozen at least since it's easier to use as presents when gifting Lolita things or with penpals :3  

-Lolita_Kana-
Captain

Partying Genius

12,615 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200

I c h i g o - L a t t e

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 5:41 pm
spuntino

I just love your work. It shows elegance. <3  
The Lolita Society.

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces