Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
one instance of satan doing anything wrong in the bible Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

are there any?
  oui, tu n'es pas intellegente
  non, tu es tres intellegente
View Results

dl1371

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 11:50 pm
does anyone know any?
this is the question i asked my friend, and he was dumbfounded  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:14 am
Satan was cast into hell by god for disagreeing with god so whom is the evil one and why did not god debate it if hes suppose to be good.  

Yevn

Wealthy Fatcat

Captain_Shinzo

6,250 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 1:25 am
Yevn
Satan was cast into hell by god for disagreeing with god so whom is the evil one and why did not god debate it if hes suppose to be good.

Well, a couple of things are wrong with this.
1.) We aren't exactly sure what the hell went up there. I think, if it all was real, that Satan was pissed at God for abusing his power and not taking responsibility for most of his creations like humans. Satan tried to pitch in on helping the humans but God ******** him over and sent Satan to another dimension. He gave Satan annoying human souls and told the humans satan caused all the evil in the world.

2.) Maybe God never intended to be good. I mean, I never understood his definition of good anyway...

3.) Maybe God did debate and ended the debate like drunks at a bar:
A full out brawl with a knife fight at the end.

4.) The guy is asking for any evidence on if Satan was actually evil anywhere. You saying that kinda just proved his point. XD

Getting to the actual topic, I think the only POSSIBLE evidence would be the Adam and Eve story.
However, the Adam and Eve story is so flawed that it isn't possible to happen. Even if we ignore it, we can't just say that a freaking snake is Satan.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:18 am
Captain_Shinzo
Getting to the actual topic, I think the only POSSIBLE evidence would be the Adam and Eve story.
However, the Adam and Eve story is so flawed that it isn't possible to happen. Even if we ignore it, we can't just say that a freaking snake is Satan.

"But here steps in Satan, the eternal rebel, the first free-thinker and emancipator of worlds. He makes man ashamed of his bestial ignorance and obedience; he emancipates him, stamps upon his brow the seal of liberty and humanity, in urging him to disobey and eat of the fruit of knowledge."-Mikhail Bakunin  

Lethkhar

LimeIzMyFaveColor

1,400 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Statustician 100
PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 3:40 pm
That's a good question to ask. I for one don't think he ever did anything bad beside rebel against God and the Adam and Eve stuff.

I wonder, did anyone write a book where they narrated as Satan and explained his story. Wouldn't that be funny if Satan had his own book explaining his side of the story? "Like God was just a p***k."  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 4:37 pm
LimeIzMyFaveColor
That's a good question to ask. I for one don't think he ever did anything bad beside rebel against God and the Adam and Eve stuff.

I wonder, did anyone write a book where they narrated as Satan and explained his story. Wouldn't that be funny if Satan had his own book explaining his side of the story? "Like God was just a p***k."

They did. It's called "Paradise Lost".

And of course there have been a load of other not-as-well-known dramatizations and positive depictions of Satan. The thing you have to remember is that the modern concept of "Satan" is really pretty new and isn't really based on the Bible much. Satan is hardly even mentioned in the Bible, and in early Jewish tradition he's not really evil so much as one of God's various angels whose task it is to test peoples' faith. It's only relatively recently that he became a renegade boogeyman bent on world domination.  

Lethkhar

Eccentric Detective

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:41 am
LimeIzMyFaveColor

I know of another one, it's called Memnoch the Devil, by Anne Rice. I like the idea of Satan as the good one, actually, lol. Because, to me, there doesn't seem to be a way that God could be benevolent.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:29 pm
tearingXheavenXdown
LimeIzMyFaveColor

I know of another one, it's called Memnoch the Devil, by Anne Rice. I like the idea of Satan as the good one, actually, lol. Because, to me, there doesn't seem to be a way that God could be benevolent.

yeah that's what i meant too haha that would be great  

LimeIzMyFaveColor

1,400 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Statustician 100

dl1371

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:16 pm
i think ill make a good intentioned satan worshipping religion
who knows...  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:51 pm
LimeIzMyFaveColor
tearingXheavenXdown
LimeIzMyFaveColor

yeah that's what i meant too haha that would be great

You might also be interested in "Three Versions of Judas" by Jorge Luis Borges. It's not about Satan, but it does an amazing job of really examining the whole idea of Jesus and Judas. He eventually comes to a very well-reasoned conclusion that Judas was, in fact, the God incarnate and the true savior of humanity. NOt Jesus  

Lethkhar

Rosculus

6,850 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Citizen 200
  • The Perfect Setup 150
PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:23 pm
Job 1:13-19

Satan killed all of Job's children, slaves, and livestock and destroyed his home.

However, that's taking it out of context. God approved of Satan doing this to test Job's faith.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:59 am
Humple

Satan killed all of Job's children, slaves, and livestock and destroyed his home.

However, that's taking it out of context. God approved of Satan doing this to test Job's faith.

I could've sworn he killed his wife, too.

But it's OK you guys! God gave Job TWICE as much stuff BACK!!! No, he didn't get his family back, but he later had 7 sons and 3 daughters. And since people are just possessions, it's OK that God approved those absolutely pointless murders of complete innocents just to settle a bet!  

Lethkhar

Rosculus

6,850 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Citizen 200
  • The Perfect Setup 150
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:17 pm
Lethkhar
Humple

I could've sworn he killed his wife, too.

But it's OK you guys! God gave Job TWICE as much stuff BACK!!! No, he didn't get his family back, but he later had 7 sons and 3 daughters. And since people are just possessions, it's OK that God approved those absolutely pointless murders of complete innocents just to settle a bet!
Not to mention that it's also a-OK for God to approve infecting Job with a horrible disease to test his faith again after he had already lost everything.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:55 pm
Captain_Shinzo
Yevn

Well, a couple of things are wrong with this.
1.) We aren't exactly sure what the hell went up there. I think, if it all was real, that Satan was pissed at God for abusing his power and not taking responsibility for most of his creations like humans. Satan tried to pitch in on helping the humans but God ******** him over and sent Satan to another dimension. He gave Satan annoying human souls and told the humans satan caused all the evil in the world.

2.) Maybe God never intended to be good. I mean, I never understood his definition of good anyway...

3.) Maybe God did debate and ended the debate like drunks at a bar:
A full out brawl with a knife fight at the end.

4.) The guy is asking for any evidence on if Satan was actually evil anywhere. You saying that kinda just proved his point. XD

Frankly, I agree that the whole Adam and Eve schpiel is ludicrous... but it does point effectively back to the repressive nature of religion.

Here's how:

1) Satan, in the guise of a talking snake - and yeah, that makes no sense - convinces our deal little Evie to partake of the Tree of Knowledge which, apparently, the All Powerful God finds as some kind of a threat and/or problem...So knowledge is a BAD thing now, you following me, here? Not that I have a problem w/the premise that ignorance makes religious dogma easier to swallow, mind you... they got that part right, in my opinion.

2) Then little Evie - despite being the the lesser half that came from Adam's rib- decides, 'hey this is swell' and shares her new fancy learnin' w/her beloved partner and...guess what... Not only do they get kicked out the Ignorant Bliss of Paradise... but there's a lovely little caveat about her, Adam's lesser half, now having to suffer through the excruciating pain of childbirth because she had the audacity to share a bite of the so-called forbidden fruit of knowledge.

Now, isn't it awesome how you've got the basis for ignorance AND sexism all rolled into one cute little story that children are being taught as soon as they're old enough to stand? rolleyes  

Edible Jennann

OtakuJeannie

Demonic Bookworm

30,400 Points
  • Consumer 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:06 am
Edible Jennann
[but there's a lovely little caveat about her, Adam's lesser half, now having to suffer through the excruciating pain of childbirth because she had the audacity to share a bite of the so-called forbidden fruit of knowledge.

You forgot being ruled over by her husbands and all her children. It was a great way to keep women as little above cattle for thousands of years....  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff