Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
I'm sorry I haven't been here for a while, but... Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Doredia

Beloved Gekko

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:36 pm
I will tell you guys something sorta personal, because I only have one RL friend who is also an atheist. I was out of the club because I fell for a Christian boy. He wanted to convert me, so I acted like I was being converted. But I gave up the relationship since I just couldn't fake it. I hope I did the right thing. What do you guys think?  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:19 pm
Never, EVER compromise yourself for some stupid boy. You absolutely did the right thing. Continuing the relationship with that big of a lie would only lead to bigger problems later. Besides, he shouldn't have approached the relationship trying to convert you. In any relationship you find yourself in, make sure that your significant other appreciates you for you, and not for what you could be.

If you did anything wrong, it was to pretend you were "being converted" in the first place. That was sort of twisted, but infatuation can do weird things to us sometimes. What you did actually righted a wrong, and I respect the courage it probably took to do that.  

Lethkhar

Calamity Rose

6,550 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:08 am
Seconding Lethkhar's comments, and adding that his beliefs are sort of a red flag for someone who may not be the sharpest tool in the kit. Stick to atheists for sanity's sake. There are cute ones, and in my experience they are much more ethical, thinking, and all that good stuff. Take your time and don't get sucked in to an attractive (mentally, emotionally, or physically) but deluded boy. They aren't worth it.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:12 am
Christianity at this stake has REALLY pissed me off during these conditions.
Let me give you an example from what I have encountered.

" Me: You and Zach broke up?
Aeron: Yeah....
Me: What the hell happened?
Aeron: He changed I guess. I believe it is my fault...
Me: What?
Aeron:You knew Zach was an Atheist,right?
Me: Yeah, did you break up with him because he was an Atheist? o.0
Aeron: No!
Me: Oh...
Me: Thank your God, I was worried for a second...
Aeron: What actually happened was I tried to lead him on the right path.
Me: What? =_=
Aeron: I thought it would be better if Zach knew the word of God. I want him to be on the path of good.
Me: =_________=;;;;
Aeron: I screwed up, didn't I?
Me: "Though shall not push my name on others."
Aeron: I know.... v.v
Me: I still can't believe you pushed him away...
Aeron: I no, it worked. It is just...he changed and I didn't like it. So I left him....
Me: You ******** up big time. =_______= Maybe take an Atheists point of view next time and this wouldn't happen.
Aeron: Stop it. I don't want to be an Atheist. EVER. It isn't going to happen. Don't push it on me.
Me:
1.) I wasn't. EVER.
2.) ******** hypocrite. "

Christians believe spreading their belief to others is actually helping people. In reality, it doesn't. It is ignorant and it hurts people.

Either this boy can accept you for who you are or tell him to go ******** himself with the Jesus on a cross above his bed.

Captain_Shinzo

6,250 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200

dl1371

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:21 pm
definitely the right thing

he would've found out sooner or later and then...  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:45 pm
Thank you so much guys! I think I'll have to stick to Atheists then xD

Too bad there aren't many of us. (I only know my friend from school, and I'm straight xD)  

Doredia

Beloved Gekko

Lethkhar

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:00 pm
Darkly Wishful
Thank you so much guys! I think I'll have to stick to Atheists then xD

Too bad there aren't many of us. (I only know my friend from school, and I'm straight xD)

Don't worry; You'll find plenty if you go to college. And you have the rest of your life to find someone, anyway.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:51 pm
There are many of them in college? I definitely plan to go there! There aren't that many in my high school. Especially with the high density of Hispanics Dx (I'm a Hispanic myself, they are generally an incredibly religious race Dx)  

Doredia

Beloved Gekko

Captain_Shinzo

6,250 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:53 pm
Darkly Wishful
There are many of them in college? I definitely plan to go there! There aren't that many in my high school. Especially with the high density of Hispanics Dx (I'm a Hispanic myself, they are generally an incredibly religious race Dx)

Don't just go for Atheists, go for the people who are atleast religious/anti-religious tolerant. Find someone who you like. Not for your ideas. Then you would be considered almost the likes of your Ex-BF. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:54 pm
Captain_Shinzo
Darkly Wishful

Don't just go for Atheists, go for the people who are atleast religious/anti-religious tolerant. Find someone who you like. Not for your ideas. Then you would be considered almost the likes of your Ex-BF. sweatdrop

See, I think I'm a rather tolerant person. And I'm actually really curious when it comes to religion. I love hearing all the stories. But I don't think I could ever date someone who was very religious. My trust in reason and, in turn, my atheism is one of the fundamentals of my entire world-view. It would eventually come up, and when it did I don't know how we would be able to get through it.

But that's just me. You're totally right; you shouldn't close yourself off to any possibilities. Just make sure you stay true to you.  

Lethkhar

Edible Jennann

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:16 pm
If you have to change your core beliefs to keep someone's love, they didn't love you to begin with.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:03 pm
I go to a very small arts school in which 80% of the people there are strong Christians.
As far as I know there are only two atheists and three agnostics, there are three or four jews, and everyone else is christian.

Three different girls have refused to be anything more than a friend to me simply because I wasn't Christian.

Sometimes I hate living in Texas.  

XcoldhandsX

6,900 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Invisibility 100

Lord Maxdom

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:11 pm
Unfortunately at my school, we have a lot of atheist...guys...The ratio is really bad, unless you are a girl looking for an atheistic guy or something. Personally, I had a relationship go well with someone who was very christian, and she knew I was atheistic. It worked out fine until we eventually broke up, but that was because of matters not related to our views. I think you just need to find the proper person, people who don't live by their religions.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:20 pm
I live in Texas. >.>
There's a church every ten miles and everyone here is very stubborn and opinionated about their views no matter what they are.  

XcoldhandsX

6,900 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Invisibility 100

Lethkhar

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:54 pm
XcoldhandsX
I live in Texas. >.>
There's a church every ten miles and everyone here is very stubborn and opinionated about their views no matter what they are.

I don't know about the rest of the state, but Austin has a very prominent atheist community. It's one of the most famous in the world.  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff