Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Seems kinda unfair...

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

FuzzBall 005

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:28 am
I was hanging out with one of my friendlies at my towns mall and I told him something I think you might like to hear. K he's mormon...Mormen?...Mermen thats it! well hes a merman and one of their belifes is that you cant have caffine and I told him
"Thats unfair, some catholic guy could go out and butcher a entire town and eat the bodies and all he has to do is tell some guy in a box that he did it and he goes to heven, but if you take a sip of coca-cola your in hell forever."  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:48 am
haha i'm pretty sure it's Mormon.
that's another reason why established religions aren't for me
if i want my caffeine, I will get it. haha  

LimeIzMyFaveColor

1,400 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Statustician 100

Le Pere Duchesne

Beloved Prophet

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:48 am
LimeIzMyFaveColor

So you 'believe' things because you like it, rather than because you agree that that is how things are?

Wut?  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:45 pm
Yes, mormoanz.  

[-Erik-]

Durem Citizen

7,700 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Generous 100
  • First step to fame 200

LimeIzMyFaveColor

1,400 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Statustician 100
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:46 pm
Gracchia Saint-Justine
LimeIzMyFaveColor

So you 'believe' things because you like it, rather than because you agree that that is how things are?

Wut?

Well I don't like established religions because they prohibit things that I find aren't even wrong. Judeo-Christian Islamic look down upon homosexuality, but I don't find it wrong. Religion represses the human being. There are so much things humans can do if they put their mind to it and walk away from religion. They could do so much with embryonic stem cell research. Religion doesn't promote free-thought. I base my facts on science and reason and not on religious creed. I do agree with what I believe in and I do like it. If I didn't like it, I wouldn't agree with it.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:33 am
My roommate is a mormon, he drinks caffine and serial dates/makes out with women. Then again, the only reason he is mormon is because he has severe self confidence issues(thought you wouln't tell by looking at him nesscarily) as well as some other complexes which he clings to religion in an attempt to alleviate.

MemoriesThatKill

OtakuJeannie

Demonic Bookworm

30,400 Points
  • Consumer 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:51 am
LimeIzMyFaveColor
haha i'm pretty sure it's Mormon.
if i want my caffeine, I will get it. haha

Seven Day Adventists are like that with caffeine too, I found out the hard way when I went looking for a Coke in one of their hospitals. I need my fix to get me through the workday, for I am a caffeind!  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:03 am
LimeIzMyFaveColor
Gracchia Saint-Justine
LimeIzMyFaveColor

Wut?

Well I don't like established religions because they prohibit things that I find aren't even wrong. Judeo-Christian Islamic look down upon homosexuality, but I don't find it wrong. Religion represses the human being. There are so much things humans can do if they put their mind to it and walk away from religion. They could do so much with embryonic stem cell research. Religion doesn't promote free-thought. I base my facts on science and reason and not on religious creed. I do agree with what I believe in and I do like it. If I didn't like it, I wouldn't agree with it.
So you believe in stuff because you want it to be true, not because you think it actually is true?

I used to know a girl who abandoned Judeism because of how patriarchal it is. Now, that's all good and well, but it makes no sense, to me anyway, to abandon belief in something because you disagree with it. It makes much more sense to abandon worship in that case, but to still believe.

Conversely, it makes no sense to decide that, despite a thoroughly materialist universe, there must be a god because things would be so pointless otherwise. As with many things, I find House has a snappy little exchange that highlights this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92Im6yyrdGs  

Le Pere Duchesne

Beloved Prophet

Lethkhar

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:20 am
Gracchia Saint-Justine
LimeIzMyFaveColor

Wut?

He didn't say it was the only reason.

Kind of like:
"Not only do you want me to believe in a 10-foot-tall gnome that flies around the city stealing bacon, but you also want me to put my bacon on the doorstep for him every morning. That's DEFINITELY not for me. It's ridiculous and I like my bacon."  
The Main Discussion Place

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games