Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Koran? Quran?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Acne, got some?
  Hell yeah!
  None!
  ...Just call me the collecter ;)
  I hide them :(
View Results

G4NTZ

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:49 pm
How do you spell it and can anyone tell me about it? Is it flawed or something or does it have relatively good teachings?

Sorry if this was posted already by someone else.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:49 pm
Qur’an, Quran, Qur’ān, Koran, Alcoran, Al-Qur’ān...It's your preference, really.

It has a few good teachings, quite a few bad ones, and a lot of contradictions. Not unlike the Bible, actually. Except maybe more poetic overall.

For a more elaborate analysis: http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/quran/  

Lethkhar

Im A Little Pea

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:22 am
It has many different ways to be spelled, it isn't in English so... I spell it Quran because the Arabic ق in قران is usually transcribed "q". This is mostly used by grammarians. If you want the stress too, make it Qur'an.
I don't think I can really give you an answer on "tell me about it"... This is pretty hard to sum it in a few words.

I browsed around that website and the translation seems to be quite accurate. It isn't the best, maybe, but it's pretty good if you want a general understanding on what it says. Anyway when you translate something into a language so different something is going to get lost in translation. It could be a good idea to look for a place where you can read about it, and not just in it.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:25 am
Im A Little Pea
It has many different ways to be spelled, it isn't in English so... I spell it Quran because the Arabic ق in قران is usually transcribed "q". This is mostly used by grammarians. If you want the stress too, make it Qur'an.
I don't think I can really give you an answer on "tell me about it"... This is pretty hard to sum it in a few words.

I browsed around that website and the translation seems to be quite accurate. It isn't the best, maybe, but it's pretty good if you want a general understanding on what it says.

You speak Arabic? Lucky! I'll hopefully be taking an Arabic class next year and the year after that, then maybe studying abroad in Egypt. I'd love to actually read the Qur'an in its original language.  

Lethkhar

Im A Little Pea

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:50 am
Lethkhar
Im A Little Pea

I browsed around that website and the translation seems to be quite accurate. It isn't the best, maybe, but it's pretty good if you want a general understanding on what it says.

You speak Arabic? Lucky! I'll hopefully be taking an Arabic class next year and the year after that, then maybe studying abroad in Egypt. I'd love to actually read the Qur'an in its original language.
I don't think I could actually speak Arabic to save my life. Well, maybe I can, but I don't like trying because I'm afraid I'd look foolish.

It's a difficult language to learn (especially if English is your first language) but it's fun and interesting. Such a huge world of information that opens up all of a sudden once you're able of understanding it. Well, this is true for any language, but especially one that's so widespread as Arabic.
I'm currently taking a course on Classical Arabic Prose. So at the moment we're learning some texts from the early period of Islam, and every once in a while the Quran is quoted - that with the few suwar (=chapters?) from the Quran I learnt in high school Arabic give me a so-so understanding on what some of it says, but I'm very, very far from being an expert.
I'm taking a course entirely dedicated to the Quran and commentary next year, along with another course on Islam. Might clear some things up anyhow.  
The Main Discussion Place

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games