Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
France considering a ban on Muslim veils

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

A ban on full-body veils?
  Yea
  Nay
  Bust a move!
View Results

Lethkhar

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:20 am
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100115/ap_on_re_eu/eu_france_forbidding_the_veil

Some points to think about as you discuss:
-Growing anti-Arab and anti-Muslim sentiment in Europe.
-Is it right to ban something that goes against your country's values, even if it is done with the consent of those participating?
-The varied interpretations of Islam's head/face-covering rules.
-Is the full-body veil an actual religious value or is it encouraged by a masochist establishment for its own ends?  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:13 pm
I take offense to the premise of women having to cover themselves... forced modesty is just another form of repression.

I have a friend who married a Muslim gentleman and explained to me that she found it very romantic - men are just these big, powerful creatures that cannot control themselves at the temptation of the sight of a beautiful woman.

My answer was that - as this was the man's issue and not the woman's, the men should go through life blindfolded... Problem solved.

Edible Jennann

Lord Maxdom

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:46 pm
I feel that though I don't agree with the idea of the Islamic head coverings, it is their culture and religious view to do so. As for banning the veil, I am shocked that france would be doing this, they usually are very much about freedoms, and may be a slippery slope if you ask me. As for the the idea of supperiority, in a way it can be. It is more that the men are raised that way, not that they want to be supperior. If they were raised to believe the women in the area were supperier, and the men were to have their faces covered they would go along with it. It just has to do with how their culture works. They still have male leaders as their focus, and may over time allow women to have higher positions. And they aren't blindfolded, it is more like blinders on the side of a horse's head.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:18 pm
To each his own. A clothing ban is stupid and meaningless -- there are better things to worry about.  

In Search of a Dream

Lethkhar

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:49 pm
Edible Jennann
I take offense to the premise of women having to cover themselves... forced modesty is just another form of repression.

I have a friend who married a Muslim gentleman and explained to me that she found it very romantic - men are just these big, powerful creatures that cannot control themselves at the temptation of the sight of a beautiful woman.

My answer was that - as this was the man's issue and not the woman's, the men should go through life blindfolded... Problem solved.

Yes, it is a horrible and chauvinistic standard. But is it right to ban it altogether? Is that not almost as bad as requiring it?  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:14 am
You know technically in the U.S wearing masks or anything that covers your face entirely is illegal except on Halloween. So if you were to take that law literally than wearing the burqa is already illegal here.  

Lotus_Lakshmi

Edible Jennann

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:50 pm
Lethkhar
Edible Jennann

Yes, it is a horrible and chauvinistic standard. But is it right to ban it altogether? Is that not almost as bad as requiring it?

Well, I suppose there is the question of religious freedoms. No matter how archaic the customs seem... Unless they are harmful.... but honestly, I'm not sure this isn't because I believe its use, if not original intent, is still to subjugate women.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:13 pm
Lotus_Lakshmi
You know technically in the U.S wearing masks or anything that covers your face entirely is illegal except on Halloween. So if you were to take that law literally than wearing the burqa is already illegal here.

Actually, that's only in West Virginia.  

Lethkhar

brainnsoup

Dapper Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:32 pm
Edible Jennann
Lethkhar
Edible Jennann

Well, I suppose there is the question of religious freedoms. No matter how archaic the customs seem... Unless they are harmful.... but honestly, I'm not sure this isn't because I believe its use, if not original intent, is still to subjugate women.
Modesty is very important. It is supposed to hide women from the lecherous eyes of men, yes, but also it is supposed to solidify a personal connection with and devotion to god. Taking that away would be messed up.

Forced modesty is wrong. But so is the opposite. The choice whether or not to dress in modesty shouldn't be taken away, no matter which side the government takes.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:11 pm
Bad move France.
I think the veil isn't the best tradition, but I also believe in secularism.  

dl1371

Le Pere Duchesne

Beloved Prophet

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:05 pm
While the veil is oppressive and a symbol of the oppression of women in moslem culture, banning it does nothing to free the women subjugated, but in fact does the opposite. By banning the veil, you are depriving those that wear it and see it as necessary, and those that are forced to wear it on pain of 'honor killing,' of the opportunity to engage with the rest of society. by banning the veil in public places, you are depriving women who are already subjugated of the right to social intercourse with the rest of the country, both isolating them within the oppressive culture, and enhancing the authority that culture has over them by depriving them of 'liberating' influences.

"Contrary to liberal claims that banning the veil is designed to integrate Muslims into society, bans will lead to expulsions of Muslim women from schools, universities and the workforce, which will reinforce their isolation and oppression.*"  
The Main Discussion Place

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games