Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Jesus makes you aim better (esp shooting rag heads) Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

DerShtinktier

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:33 pm
U.S Military Weapons Inscribed with the Power of Jesus!

rofl  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:17 pm
*facepalm*  

Lethkhar

Captain_Shinzo

6,250 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:48 pm
* Repeated Headdesk *
User Image

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:29 pm
Captain_Shinzo
* Repeated Headdesk *
User Image

[-Erik-]

Durem Citizen

7,700 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Generous 100
  • First step to fame 200

Im A Little Pea

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:54 am
neutral  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:42 pm
Well at least they make frickin' awesome sight.  

Levis Pennae

Dapper Citizen

6,400 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50

PetreyDish

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:53 am
They're fully entitled to put them there.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:33 am
It's problematic because they are used by the US military.

They are going to stop inscribing their scopes with Bible quotes, and are offering removal kits for the ones that are already inscribed.  

Artto

PetreyDish

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:34 am
Artto

They are going to stop inscribing their scopes with Bible quotes, and are offering removal kits for the ones that are already inscribed.

It's not problematic at all.
It isn't as though the sights have Buddy Christ emblazoned on the side.
The company is an outside company not controlled by the U.S. Military producing a product for the Armed Forces. They are fully entitled to put whatever they want on their sights, and if they decide they want to put subtle references to the Holy Bible in the serial numbers then they can. The only people this is bothering are the ones who look for fights, because the only "removal kit" you need is a nail file.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:02 pm
DancesWithBats
Artto

The company is an outside company not controlled by the U.S. Military producing a product for the Armed Forces. They are fully entitled to put whatever they want on their sights, and if they decide they want to put subtle references to the Holy Bible in the serial numbers then they can. The only people this is bothering are the ones who look for fights, because the only "removal kit" you need is a nail file.

It seems to me like the cost of production of a sight would be raised by adding a personalized biblical reference to each of them. Naturally, that makes them cost more for the government for absolutely no reason. I find that problematic.  

Lethkhar

Artto

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:26 pm
DancesWithBats
Artto

The subtlety doesn't really matter. If they were engraving tiny crucifixes next to the serial number, it would not be ok, and this isn't ok either. I agree that there's been a bit of an over-reaction, and I frankly don't care much about the whole "incident".
But it could give the impression (which some muslims already have), that this is a war of christianity against islam (especially because the soldiers started calling these guns "Jesus rifles").  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:33 pm
The price of production isn't raised by the serial numbers, because it isn't personalized, it's randomized. As it stands it's an excellent sight that is cheap to make and inexpensive to buy.

As for the "it gives the wrong impression" argument, I didn't realize we were the thought police?
We can't control what our troops call their weapons, and we can't control what people think. It isn't even every serial number, only an estimated 30% have religious SERIAL NUMBERS, and the extent of this religious "indoctrination" is the last five digits of a serial number.

The only issue here is the one that people are making.  

PetreyDish

Artto

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:46 pm
DancesWithBats
The price of production isn't raised by the serial numbers, because it isn't personalized, it's randomized. As it stands it's an excellent sight that is cheap to make and inexpensive to buy.

As for the "it gives the wrong impression" argument, I didn't realize we were the thought police?
We can't control what our troops call their weapons, and we can't control what people think. It isn't even every serial number, only an estimated 30% have religious SERIAL NUMBERS, and the extent of this religious "indoctrination" is the last five digits of a serial number.

I kind of agree with you, but on the other hand it is kind of inappropriate. And they are calling those Jesus rifles, because there's only 30% of them. So it has become kind of a novelty.

It's a religious symbol in a sense, so I don't think US soldiers should wear equipment with religious symbols on it. If nobody noticed it, it would be fine, but I think the appropriate action, in view of the response, is to stop doing it.

And I loved how Fox News commented on the issue. When it was proposed, that it gave the impression of the Iraq war being a religious war, an anchor said "They started it [making it a religious war]!". I lol'd a bit.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:49 pm
Artto
DancesWithBats

I kind of agree with you, but on the other hand it is kind of inappropriate. And they are calling those Jesus rifles, because there's only 30% of them. So it has become kind of a novelty.

It's a religious symbol in a sense, so I don't think US soldiers should wear equipment with religious symbols on it. If nobody noticed it, it would be fine, but I think the appropriate action, in view of the response, is to stop doing it.

And I loved how Fox News commented on the issue. When it was proposed, that it gave the impression of the Iraq war being a religious war, an anchor said "They started it [making it a religious war]!". I lol'd a bit.

They are allowed to wear religious symbols.
The fact that the serial number is removable means it ceases to be equipment and becomes an aesthetic that is easily changed.  

PetreyDish

Artto

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:12 pm
DancesWithBats
They are allowed to wear religious symbols.
The fact that the serial number is removable means it ceases to be equipment and becomes an aesthetic that is easily changed.

They are not to be provided with equipment engraved with religious symbols. If they had crosses on their uniforms, they would be removable, too.  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff