Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Critique of "Religion Gives Meaning to Life"

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Zach mit Kase

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:17 pm
I was reading through one of my ethics books (The Moral Life by Louis P. Pojman and Lewis Vaughn) and came across this entry, entitled Religion Gives Meaning to Life by Lois Walker, and I thought I would respond to the eight points she brings up. Critique contained in next post.

Note: statements in bold are excerpts from the essay.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:21 pm
1.We have a satisfying explanation of the origins and sustenance of the universe. No religion explains fully the origins of the universe. Religions describe the beginnings of the Earth and of humanity, and have only relatively recently been expanded to make room for the whole universe; even then, not all religions currently accept that there is anything beyond the Earth or the solar system. Supposing that a religion accepted the former, it still could not give real meaning to the infinite number of bodies that exist in the universe. Suppose that a god does exist. What, then, is his purpose? What is his origin? From a valueless universe, objective values will not miraculously appear, nor can purpose derive from purposelessness. There is no doubt that all people value certain things. Intrinsically, nothing in the universe has value, but in the same way that a god might give things value, we give things value.

2.Theism holds that the universe is suffused in goodness and that good will win out over evil. Given that the universe intrinsically has no value, we must conclude that there is no grand ongoing battle between good and evil. We must ask that famous question: what is good and what is evil? How do we know? On the scale of the universe, there is no good and evil. On our infinitely tiny pale blue dot, it is subject to heated debate and always will be. However, given the number of perceived “goods” no matter who wins any conflict, the good will indeed always win – but you do not need to be a theist to recognize this.

3.God loves and cares for us. His love compels us, so that we have a deeper motive for morally good actions, including high altruism. I and many other nonbelievers are perfectly capable of acting morally good and altruistic without the compulsion of a god. Besides, how many people who live today can honestly say that they are altruistic, let alone highly altruistic? Most people are extremely hesitant to throw a dime to a beggar or donate to a charity, but will jump on an opportunity to give their support to a non-charitable organization related to a personal interest of theirs, especially if a reward is offered for their support (hence why publicly owned companies or organizations such as Gaia Online thrive). By “us ('His love compels us,')” the author is referring to those who subscribe to any of the Abrahamic religions. History shows that the most heinous of atrocities have been committed and continue to be committed in the name of those religions. I also find that it is rather egotistical to believe that one is more moral simply because they believe in a god. One argument against secularism is that there is nothing there to stop one from committing an act of immorality – however, secularism provides no compulsion for immoral acts, whereas religion provides compulsion and sometimes encourages immoral acts to occur (e.g. the Crusades, Charles Manson, Iraq War). To my knowledge, the atrocities committed in the name of secularism: none.

4.Theists have an answer to the question Why be moral? Why? Because of the love of God and because that love guarantees justice, so that you will get what you deserve – good for good and bad for bad. In other words, you are guaranteed a reward for being moral, completely contradicting the point #3. A reward for being good – indeed, that is quite a deep motive for being moral. A truly moral person would do good not expecting reward or compensation, but simply because it is good to do.

5.Cosmic Justice reigns in the universe. The scales are perfectly balanced so that everyone will get what he or she deserves, according to moral merit. See #2 and #4. This point simply restates those points.

6.All persons are of equal worth. Since we have all been created in the image of God and are His children, we are all brothers and sisters. We are family and ought to treat each other benevolently as we would family members of equal worth. Indeed, modern secular moral and political systems often assume this equal worth of the individual without justifying it. But without the Parenthood of God it makes no sense to say that all persons are innately of equal value. Indeed, all people are equal. Indeed, we should all treat each other benevolently. Once again, has the history of the religion in question shown that it has always taught this? See response to #3. In what ways are people equal? That we are all born with the same natural rights? Of course, people are quite varied in the forms they take. Physical characteristics vary, mental capacity, and of course, philosophies. So what makes us equal? That we are all human. That is the justification of equal worth, and it makes perfect sense that all humans should be treated as humans.

7.Grace and forgiveness – a happy ending for all. All except for those who are bad. The moral guilt which we experience, even for the most heinous acts, can be removed, and we can be redeemed and given a new start. Even the most heinous acts can be forgiven? Then why would one lead a moral life when one can do immoral things and redeem himself later? Nobody should commit a “most heinous act,” apologize, and live guilt-free.

8.There is life after death. Nobody can reasonably prove that there is or is not life after death. However, to believe that there is life after death and that one is compensated according to their behavior in their previous life is just hubristic.  

Zach mit Kase

dl1371

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:39 pm
Yeah, thats pretty much how I would respond too, except for in less words and it would sound less educated.
Kudos for you.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:12 pm
Lois Walkers sounds like a hack. I might still pick up that book, though. Have you brought this stuff up in class? (Assuming you're taking a class)  

Lethkhar

Zach mit Kase

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:58 pm
Lethkhar
Lois Walkers sounds like a hack. I might still pick up that book, though. Have you brought this stuff up in class? (Assuming you're taking a class)

Well, my class just started, and I'm not sure if that reading is even going to be assigned. I just read it for fun. However, if I get the opportunity, I definitely will bring it up.  
The Main Discussion Place

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games