Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Offended by brain-washed ex schoolmate

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Edible Jennann

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:33 pm
There's a email poll circling on a lot of the social sites - MySpace, Facebook,etc that contains a list of misdeeds and a dollar amount for each thing. Some amounts are low, others are higher - and it has everything from "ever peed in a pool" to much racier content. - The point is you send to people you know will find it funny (not offensive) and all they do is add up the total and post "My fine is $__.__" on their profile. - No harm there, in my opinion.

It's been fun, until one ex-schoolmate decided to pipe up and post "My fine has been paid in full by the old rugged cross."

First, whoever forwarded the email to a bible-banger - IF that's what happened- was an idiot.

Second, while I know it's childish and I should be a bigger person, I am deeply offended by him feeling the need to take something that was innocent and silly and turn it into a podium for religious proselytizing.

I'm frustrated. And yes, a little disappointed in myself for letting it get to me.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:29 pm
You don't need to be disappointed. The world is full of dicks who feel like their private life needs to be very public. Being the bigger person is not saying it to their face, or yelling at them, not refraining from being angry at all. Anyway, you're justified.  

Calamity Rose

6,550 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Invisibility 100

Edible Jennann

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:55 pm
Ersatz Rose
You don't need to be disappointed. The world is full of dicks who feel like their private life needs to be very public. Being the bigger person is not saying it to their face, or yelling at them, not refraining from being angry at all. Anyway, you're justified.

Thank you... I suppose that's a good way to look at it. No response IS better than a heated moment of anger. I just wish it didn't bother me at all. But I think that's why the old saying, "If wishes were horses, beggars would ride" came about.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:01 pm
You ever heard of the proverb "You're making a mountain out of a molehill"?
Dude, so what?

Somebody on the internet was religious and it offended you.
I want you to read that sentence out loud a few times replacing the word "you" with "me".  

PetreyDish

Lethkhar

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:34 am
Tell him Jesus' check bounced. xd

But seriously, it's stupid. Yes, he sounds like an annoying douche. But if that's what he wants to be then let him do it.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:50 am
Don't get mad, get smart-arse: They said their fine was paid in full by Jesus' rugged cross? Well, you should ask 'just how much did the rugged cross have to pay?'

If they want to be a smart arse on this thing, be one back.  

Le Pere Duchesne

Beloved Prophet

Artto

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:20 am
I don't get why some people get so worked up by religious people expressing their opinions. I like that they do that, it allows me to speak up, to comment on it.
But a lot of people seem have the mentality, that we should all shut up so we don't hurt each other's feelings. That's just boring.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:53 am
Artto
I don't get why some people get so worked up by religious people expressing their opinions. I like that they do that, it allows me to speak up, to comment on it.
But a lot of people seem have the mentality, that we should all shut up so we don't hurt each other's feelings. That's just boring.

These are generally people who believe that only they are worthy of knowing the truth about the universe, and if you don't know it then you aren't worthy, or people who deny knowledge of anything.

That, or they are sick of people always arguing about religion, and instead of being reasonable and arguing in a calm, sane manner, they deny the need or validity of trying to convince the opposition at all.

In short: They are selfish or idiots.  

Le Pere Duchesne

Beloved Prophet

The Main Discussion Place

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas