Doodle

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Tempest_Turning

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 5:55 pm
User Image

This is just a really quick sketch I drew on Paint (I don't have anything else T.T) and so...opinions? Critiques?

It was basically to see how well I could draw with a mouse. I mean, I see these really good pictures done by mouse alone and I wanted to try my hand at it. Obviously, it didn't work that well. Her hair, her neck, and basically everything else.

And yes, she's droopy. My friends tell me that everything I draw is droopy. It's my current style, okay?!  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:09 pm
for paint, good.
and yes, droopy ^_^  

Seority

JackalAndromeda

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 12:18 pm
The 'droopy' look you mention could be fixed by moving the eyes down a little and moving the nose and mouth up.

You draw the individual parts of the face well, you just need to work on how they are positioned. The eyes are generally about in the middle of the face. The nose tends to be halfway between the eyes and the chin, and the mouth about halfway between the nose and the chin. Look at your own face and see it's proportions to help you.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 3:41 pm
Yeah, the nose and mouth are very low on the face. Where's her chin!? x3

Also, the shoulders are too sloped. Some people do have sloping shoulders, but not to that degree. Shoulders generally go in a straight/slightly curved line across. Example:

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Like already mentioned, the eyes are too high, making her hairline seem too high as well.  

Tawney

Michie_x33

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 6:50 pm
yea the nose and mouth are too low but for a pic on paint..thats awesome!  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 2:39 pm
User Image

Um...I made a new picture, following the suggestions, but I don't think I achieved the purpose. She just looks younger.

Maybe in five years, I'll look back on this and gasp in horror.  

Tempest_Turning

Salsa Mime

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 3:40 pm
What I can see of your current style is very endearing; in other words I like the "droopy". However, I don't think myself or anyone else in this forum can accurately judge your skill and give you helpful advice without a full drawing you put some effort in. Most things wrong with your drawings can be attributed to style, and look very pretty.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 7:10 pm
This makes me wish for a proper scanner, or a tablet...

Maybe I can do the digital camera way. I do have one. I'm just lazy. xp  

Tempest_Turning

Shiuky

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 8:31 pm
If you only have a mouse and MSPaint, I recommend going to an PaintBBS Board (oekaki). The Java applets they have are more powerful than MSPaint. Dang great for a mouse on MSPaint if you ask me.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 6:19 pm
The second picture is much better than the first.

Try drawing in smooth quick lines rather than "petting" your lines. It gives your drawing a cleaner look while "petting" makes it look the oppisite of clean- messey and ugly. sad [NOT THAT YOUR DRAWINGS ARE UGLY.] It just tends to lower the quality of a drawing.

I brought this up becuase it looks like you are petting your lines xp .  

drugsandsex[VULGAR LOL]

Sigma_Brixton

800 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 8:22 pm
I dunno, I liked the first one better. Anatomy doesn't always have to be perfect, what's the point in trying to make something look realistic? why not just take a picture then. It reminded me of FF Tactics 3nodding .  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 9:03 pm
Sigma_Brixton
what's the point in trying to make something look realistic? why not just take a picture then.

Sorry, but I've always HATED that kind of a statement. When you draw something realistic you are giving people a glimpse into how you see the world; you choose how things are distorted, what you leave out, etc. Understanding realism can also give you the means to create fantasy worlds and characters that look real. Also, knowing human anatomy can help you better draw styles that are abstractions of reality, like anime.

Just because you don't want to/can't draw realism, doesn't mean it's bad or worthless. It's one of the most difficult things in art and belittling it (and by extension people who do it) is ignorant and wrong.

I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with a non-realistic style, mind you...  

JackalAndromeda

Sigma_Brixton

800 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 7:35 am
I'm not belittleing it, or stating it's worthless. And if you chose to make certian thins distorted, and leave out some things, then it's not really realism is it?  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:50 am
well it's better than my doodles. 3nodding  

cloud_1991

The Anime Art Academy

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas