Welcome to Gaia! ::

Veni Vidi Vici

Back to Guilds

A poll guild for fun-lovers, RPers, craziness, and hippies. 

Tags: poll, games 

Reply Nothing's coming.
HELLO! Valentine's Avi Contest !!! Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Stupid real world...
  LOL
View Results

xwhateverxdudex

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:12 am
Didn't anyone notice.

Or is everyone busy with there own real world plans.

I'm not to fond of "make single people feel like crap" day.
But surely someone has some ideas.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:43 pm
Hmmm... We could do something like the turkey shooting thing. and roll to get certain numbers. I'm sure I can come up with a good prize.  

NeverMore42_6_6_6

purpleravenhawk
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:45 pm
*points at announcement* xp  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:42 pm
yeah, I noticed that  

Sweetkitty

Tybarious

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:20 am
ugh, I hate this holiday, well not the holiday itself but the fact that everyone will make a big deal out of nothing. Its great if you have someone but I rather not have to deal with the reminder that Im single. I'm just go hide under a rock for a while and wait for it to blow over. xp  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:27 am
It's only another reason for the candy companies to sell more candy.
(they just target couples with this holiday)  

xwhateverxdudex

Rinioa

Sugary Bunny

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:40 am

Yes, I had noticed the announcement. I had thought about entering, if I could come up with something.

I don't really see why so many people hate valentine's day. Even when I was back in school, single I still didn't mind it. I celebrate various shades of 'love' and I'd always get my friends gifts.

And while Dude has a point about the candy companies, ......who cares! Lots of candy everywhere? That's like heaven! @_@ *rolls through the isles of Wal-Mart*

[ rinioa ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:56 pm
Lol @ "isles of Walmart" xd

Ahem, I understand not liking the day, but like Rini says, you can celebrate different types of love. When you were a kid, I bet you made a paper heart for your mom. Nothing wrong with doing that now. Although, she might appreciate a box of chocolates more now. xd

Anyway, the original Valentinus was sainted because he fought against a tyrannical caesar who forbade Roman soldiers to get married (He thought single guys were better soldiers.). This guy married the soldiers in secret, was caught, and executed. His skull is supposedly in a Roman church somewhere with a ring of flowers on it. xp So technically, Valentine's Day should be a celebration of the right to marry, which should make it a target for gay rights, IMO.

But if you want to get really picky...(feel free to roll your eyes here)...Valentine's Day itself was created by Christians to overshadow a pagan holiday, like so many other Christian holidays were. Bet you didn't know Val Day was a Christian holiday! surprised The original holiday was called Lupercalia, and it was meant to purify and ensure good health and fertility at the beginning of spring. It has some connection to the Greek god Pan. It was celebrated on the 15th, tho, the anniversary of the founding of his temple. The Christian holiday was established officially to honor those named Saint Valentine "whose names are justly reverenced among men, but whose acts are known only to God." (Had to look that quote up. xp ) After the first guy, there were a few others; Valentine was a popular name.

Every year on Val Day, I dress my avi as the ghost of St. Valentine. xd You'll see. It's my own tribute to the man that the people forgot and the holiday that doesn't mean what it should.

purpleravenhawk
Captain

Rinioa

Sugary Bunny

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:58 am

*applaud's Purple's vast knowledge* heart

I have to admit, I celebrate many holidays simply for their commercial value. I'm not affiliated with any religious group, or celebrate their holidays in favor of them either. I support the exploitation of general Holidays, it's part of what makes America so corrupt and evil.

[ rinioa ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:40 am
well I guess there is too many meanings for the holiday, eh I'll celebrate it when I have a gf  

Tybarious

xwhateverxdudex

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:23 am
Yeah, practically every christian holiday in existance has some sort of supposedly "pagan" part to it. (I question the definition of the word pagan)

I understand what's being said, but for a single person, they'd have to go out and buy their own candy anyway. And they could do that just anytime, so to me, the holiday is pointless.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:12 pm
Thank you, thank you. *bows* xd

Okay, dude, here you go: The original meaning of "pagan" was just any religion except Christianity. It's a strictly Christian term, but it was adapted from the Jewish word for Gentiles, which was everyone who wasn't Jewish. blaugh These days, theological students use the word "pagan" mostly to refer to polytheistic religions that existed before Christianity. But most real scholars prefer to use scientific terms and avoid such an obviously biased word. I just used it cuz I figured people would be more familiar with it than with "polytheistic." xd

purpleravenhawk
Captain

Tybarious

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:38 am
polytheistic = a religion with more than one god rolleyes  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:47 pm
Ah yes. Thank you...

(both of you) ^.^  

xwhateverxdudex

Tybarious

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:10 pm
no problem