Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Official Perfect Dark Guild

Back to Guilds

This guild is for the fans of the Perfect Dark series. 

Tags: Perfect Dark, Joanna Dark, Rare, Perfect Dark Zero, Perfect Dark series 

Reply Main Forum
Joanna Dark: Better As A Redhead or Brunet?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

So which is better for Miss Dark? Red hair or brown hair?
  Red!
  Brown!
  Blonde!/Green!/Some other color!
View Results

soren_alenko

Captain

Barton Lover

44,325 Points
  • Ian's Valentine 100
  • Champion 300
  • Rebuilder 100
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:40 pm
The title is self explanatory. Which suits Joanna better; red hair or brown hair?

I have to go with the red hair. It makes her stand out and it makes her unique. (plus as a redhead she actually resembled a woman rather than a feminine boy in the N64 original. Sorry Miss Dark, please don't kill me.) And I'd like to know what their reason is for Joanna making the move from red hair to brown hair. (please give us another book Rare! Gotta bridge the prequel & the other books to the original)

Fast Fact: In the N64 version of Perfect Dark, Joanna was supposed to have red hair. But the system couldn't support a character with red hair, so Joanna was made a brunet instead. (they can give Mario a red hat but they can't give Miss Dark red hair?)  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:19 pm
She looks better in the red hair, I admit, but for some reason, she seems more legitimate and believable with brown hair to me.
I really liked her personality muuuuuuuuch better in the first Perfect Dark. I also really missed her British accent. I mean, I know she's American, but hey, it's believable she'd have a British accent if she like, traveled the world with her dad or something.  

Shadowolf

The Esper Terra
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:25 am
The brittish accent actually was something that bothered me in the original...
It smeeled way too much of Rare saying: "Hey, we got a female James Bond"
"Suse, that is also very reminding of Lara Croft" "Shaddup, you're fired"

As for the hair color, I think the red DO looks like hair coloring on purpose in 0, to bring her back to us as a younger look.

Anyone is game to go check if she is a real red head? I sure ain't gonna go take a bullet for that, plus I'm sure you guys would enjoy it more than I...

Hair colors pretty much comes equals to me since I take in the fact it made her look younger in Zero  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:15 am
In the books it states that she's a natural redhead (inherited from a mother she'd never met, along with her blue eyes.) but it's never explained or any reason has been given to why she switched to brown hair. (another book to bridge Second Front to Perfect Dark please?)  

soren_alenko

Captain

Barton Lover

44,325 Points
  • Ian's Valentine 100
  • Champion 300
  • Rebuilder 100

iiRawreth
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:31 pm
Having fire red hair like how she did in Perfect Dark Zero was just not Joanna. I know her as the spy with an English accent and brown, natural hair. I wouldn't be able to take the game seriously if the main character looks like a Barbie Doll with impossible-to-recreate hair. It's kind of obnoxious. I love the brunette Joanna because it's just the Joanna I know :3 Her red hair isn't horrible though... just not awesome, you know =/ The XBox Game people are trying too hard to make this sexy, perverts-want-her video game character but giving sad old men boners isn't the point of the Perfect Dark series. I think my point has been proven ^. ^

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:52 pm
iiRawreth
Having fire red hair like how she did in Perfect Dark Zero was just not Joanna. I know her as the spy with an English accent and brown, natural hair. I wouldn't be able to take the game seriously if the main character looks like a Barbie Doll with impossible-to-recreate hair. It's kind of obnoxious. I love the brunette Joanna because it's just the Joanna I know :3 Her red hair isn't horrible though... just not awesome, you know =/ The XBox Game people are trying too hard to make this sexy, perverts-want-her video game character but giving sad old men boners isn't the point of the Perfect Dark series. I think my point has been proven ^. ^

It pretty much was the same Rare team that worked on Zero...
I agree on most of what you said, but an opinion cannot be proven unless you would have facts...and since it is a matter of taste, there is no possible proofs...  

The Esper Terra
Vice Captain

soren_alenko

Captain

Barton Lover

44,325 Points
  • Ian's Valentine 100
  • Champion 300
  • Rebuilder 100
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 1:14 pm
Finally remembered to look up the description:

Perfect Dark: Initial Vector
Ch. 2, Pgs. 17-18

... She drank several mouthfuls from her hands, splashed more of it on her face, and then found she was staring at herself in the mirror and not really recognizing who she was seeing at all.
Blue eyes that her father said she'd inherited from her mother, eyes like sapphires, he called them, granted by a woman Jo had never known. Roughly cut hair that burned like copper and that fell to her shoulders, currently limp and matted with dried sweat, with a blond forelock, some genetic quirk that no one could ever explain. Her father's nose, straight and small, and again what he'd called called her mother's mouth. The only thing all her own that she could see was her tattoo, a purple five-pointed star at the left side of her neck she'd had done in Hong Kong on her seventeenth birthday.
Her father had hatted the tattoo. "It makes you look cheap," he'd said when he'd first seen it. "You're not cheap, Jo, you're priceless." ...

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 4:56 pm
soren_alenko
In the books it states that she's a natural redhead (inherited from a mother she'd never met, along with her blue eyes.) but it's never explained or any reason has been given to why she switched to brown hair. (another book to bridge Second Front to Perfect Dark please?)

Given that she works for an agency, I'd assume its to protect her identity.  

Lord of the Vine

Dapper Codger

7,825 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100

soren_alenko

Captain

Barton Lover

44,325 Points
  • Ian's Valentine 100
  • Champion 300
  • Rebuilder 100
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 6:17 pm
Dion Necurat
soren_alenko

Don't know if it that worked out so well (if that is indeed the reason why), seeing as in Mission 1, De Vries recognizes Joanna right away.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:19 am
soren_alenko
Dion Necurat
soren_alenko

Don't know if it that worked out so well (if that is indeed the reason why), seeing as in Mission 1, De Vries recognizes Joanna right away.

I thought she asks "Who are you and what are you doing here?"

Unless you're referring to something else.

As for the hair, I'll have to go with most of what iiRawreth said. Joanna seemed more legitimate with the short hair and British accent. Short hair doesn't get in the way, and there's no reason to look pretty and perfect when you're shooting people. Let alone the fact that Fire Red hair does nothing in your favor on stealth missions. Function over form if you value your life.

The accent for me could go either way. If she had an American accent in the original, it wouldn't seem so strange in PDZ. But PDZ's voice just annoys me. If her accent was completely fake to change/hide her identity, then she made the right choice of what to change to.  

phillipo

soren_alenko

Captain

Barton Lover

44,325 Points
  • Ian's Valentine 100
  • Champion 300
  • Rebuilder 100
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:32 pm
Regardless if you go into her office, near the end of Mission 1 Part 3, when you're heading to the roof, she'll say "We meet again girl". And they way she speaks to Jo for M1P3's end cutscene, it indicates that she knows her or at least met her before. (pretty sure the same is mentioned/implied in the Skedar Ship mission.)  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:40 am
Origionaly you would probably end up going into her office anyhow to complete an objective on Sple-Perf agent difficulty. That reminds me of a feat I completed, if you ignore cassandras bodyguards before you get to the roof, you can chase her out the door where she will stand there doing nothing, blast her with your prefered weaponry and make some damage, once you get to the cut scene at the end she will still have the gun shots and arrows in her that you so happily emplied. hard to take her seriosly when she looks like she got hit by a gunship.  

Novuus Darkblade

soren_alenko

Captain

Barton Lover

44,325 Points
  • Ian's Valentine 100
  • Champion 300
  • Rebuilder 100
PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:21 pm
I'd probably take her more seriously, since if she was able to survive that onslaught and still talks fine as she did before you shot her.  
Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games