Secret beta world?
  Yeah!
  No!
  Call an exorcist. Now.
View Results

Michi is a cat

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:18 am
=Introduction (optional, skip if you want)=

So, two years ago, I bought this cheap MP4 player device in China. I used it for storing my stuff, but once while in file explorer mode, I accidentally pressed the "select" button while one of my old rom files of Zelda was highlighted. Surprisingly enough, the device actually started an emulator program and was able to run the rom file.

Obviously, I was curious, and started searching around for more information, but there was absolutely nothing about this function in the instruction manual nor on the manufacturer's website. so, I decided to play around on the emulator for myself.

=End of introduction bit=

Anyway, after messing around and testing for a bit, I discovered that this MP4 was able to emulate the NES, some old Sega console, GB, and the GBC. The emulation software also seemed to be incomplete, as exiting the emulator after running any Gameboy rom automatically corrupts the rom file, making it permanently unuseable.

One of the other odd things I noticed was that when I created a save state in Zelda, quitted the game, and then tried to reload that save state after restarting the emulator, it would load the graphics of the area I was in when the game was saved, but it would apply the physics/collision detection of the area I was in before the state was loaded.

Eventually, I tried loading the state while on the title screen, and the graphics seemed to load normally, but whenever I walked towards the edge of the map, it moved me into this map below:

User Image
(Yes, I realise that it's an imitation iPhone...)

User Image
Another photo I took of the area. Note that the bottom quarter of the image is cut by the emulator.

I was just wondering, has anyone ever been to a section of the map like this before? The mountains have correct collision detection (ie. you can't walk through them), but if I walked along the path or the stairs, the map would just loop back to the other side of the same section.

Could this be like a beta world version of the old Zelda game (like in the "Beta World" code of Ocarina of Time)?  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:27 pm
Huh, that's actually pretty interesting. I wonder why they released it still incomplete.

Either way, I assume if they actually advertised the emulator function they might run into legal problems.

And to the weird collision and graphics part, it's probably something closer to Pokemon's glitch city.  

Nomega

Dapper Dabbler

Cabron the Swan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:12 pm
User Image
If you hold up and down or left and right down at the same time on your SNES controller in LttP you can steer Link through anything, and then you end up in this weird underworld type place and you can access any place in the game.

Including Ganon's tower and Chris Houlihan's room. O_o

User Image

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:02 pm
Interesting... reminds me of negative world kinda  

vidjagames

Michi is a cat

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:21 am
Nomega
Huh, that's actually pretty interesting. I wonder why they released it still incomplete.

Either way, I assume if they actually advertised the emulator function they might run into legal problems.

And to the weird collision and graphics part, it's probably something closer to Pokemon's glitch city.

Ah, Glitch City, brings back memories...

Yeah, this could be, since glitch city was probably also generated by the game loading incorrect data, though the map tiles appear to be consistent. No scrambled worlds yet, but who knows?  
'Tendo Cult~

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games