* Dance of December Souls (1993)
* Brave Murder Day (1996)
* Discouraged Ones (199 cool
* Tonight's Decision (1999)
* Last Fair Deal Gone Down (2001)
* Viva Emptiness (2003)
* The Great Cold Distance (2006)
* Night Is the New Day (2009)

Fantastic stuff. I personally have the first three albums and, while Viva Emptiness is obviously the best of them, they are all great in their own respects.

Examples:

Omerta
A Premonition
Idle Blood  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:08 am
I was sent their album Viva Emptiness by a friend.
It was pretty damn good.
I wouldn't mind hearing more by them.  

S Metal Crusader B
Crew

The Scanner Sees Darkly
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:38 am
S Metal Crusader B
It was pretty damn good.

Get their newest one, if you ask me. Some of the stuff is pretty sexy.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:45 pm
The Scanner Sees Darkly
S Metal Crusader B
It was pretty damn good.

The same friend who sent me Viva Emptiness also sent me one of the new albums songs and judging by that, it sounded pretty awesome.  

Sticklander

The Scanner Sees Darkly
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:17 pm
Troll ov The Northe
The Scanner Sees Darkly
S Metal Crusader B
It was pretty damn good.

The same friend who sent me Viva Emptiness also sent me one of the new albums songs and judging by that, it sounded pretty awesome.

Idle Blood is off the new one. I also like Forsaker (even though the metalcore-esque guitar part gets a bit annoying at times) and The Longest Year.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:36 pm
Just by listening to one track from their first album, I can already tell that Katatonia's early stuff is far, FAR better than their clean vocal stuff. Not to say I didn't mind it, but the situation reminds me of Sentenced going soft after North From Here. They REALLY went to s**t after that album, more so when Taneli Jarva left.

That being said, even the first album doesn't really catch me. For something that sounds like it'd be Death/Doom, the thick, oppressive, crushing atmosphere of bands like Morgion and Evoken just isn't there, so it just doesn't catch me.

Composition-wise it isn't bad, but atmosphere is a huge aspect of the Death/Doom and Funeral Doom sounds, so if a band from either genre is missing that, then forget it.  

Ethereal Cereal

The Scanner Sees Darkly
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:46 pm
The Other Half of the Sky
Just by listening to one track from their first album, I can already tell that Katatonia's early stuff is far, FAR better than their clean vocal stuff. Not to say I didn't mind it, but the situation reminds me of Sentenced going soft after North From Here. They REALLY went to s**t after that album, more so when Taneli Jarva left.

That being said, even the first album doesn't really catch me. For something that sounds like it'd be Death/Doom, the thick, oppressive, crushing atmosphere of bands like Morgion and Evoken just isn't there, so it just doesn't catch me.

Composition-wise it isn't bad, but atmosphere is a huge aspect of the Death/Doom and Funeral Doom sounds, so if a band from either genre is missing that, then forget it.

I haven't even really bothered looking at their early stuff. I'm not really sure why, but I haven't.

I agree with how they'd be disappointing if you were looking for a doom metal band, but I still adore them for some odd reason. I don't know. It's hard to explain my liking for Katatonia. I have the same problem with The Burning of Rome, The Dead Pirates, The Polyphonic Spree, and some others.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:51 pm
If you're referring to Sentenced's early stuff, then this is from their very very first album with their guitarist, Miika Tenkula, on vocals. Then, for the second album, their then-bassist Taneli Jarva took the mic and recorded this lovely piece.  

Ethereal Cereal

The Scanner Sees Darkly
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:54 pm
If you're referring to Sentenced's early stuff, then this is from their very very first album with their guitarist, Miika Tenkula, on vocals. Then, for the second album, their then-bassist Taneli Jarva took the mic and recorded this lovely piece.

Katatonia's, but thanks for the links anyway. Will look into it later.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:01 pm
Early stuff isn't bad by any means, but it's certainly no Morgion.  

Ethereal Cereal

The Scanner Sees Darkly
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:10 pm

That was pretty sexy.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:15 pm
The Scanner Sees Darkly

That was pretty sexy.

Opening riff to 'Relic of a Darkened Past' from their very first album sold me instantly.

Heavily distorted power chords can be ******** killer when used right.

This is it. Mind you the audio quality is kinda bad on this version, but at least you'll get the idea.  

Ethereal Cereal

♪ Metal

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff