Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Official Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Guild!

Back to Guilds

Reply The Official Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Guild!
Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Tinnumir

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 12:40 am
Does anyone know how one might aquire Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency? I have The Long Dark Teatime of the Soul, but I want to read Dirk Gently's first. My local library does not have it, and I doubt any bookstores here would, as I've heard that it's out of print. Does anyone know where I can get a copy?  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:03 am
Bweh, I dunno, E-Bay or something? I've only held in my hands an actual book of this book once, from the library, in a state in which I do not currently reside. It's my favorite book, too - but the only reason I know this is because I have the audio version on CD, read by DNA himself. heart

Best advice I can give you is don't worry, you don't have to read those two in order - although it would explain why the front of Dirk's house is currently a plastic flap.

And I loves your sig. mrgreen  

Yuki-Onna Reed

Ghost Chef

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 11:02 am
I was about to inquire about this myself, as I recently just bought "The Long Dark Teatime of the Soul" from a local Half-price Books...

So then, where did you get the audio CD? eek  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 10:46 pm
Spike_Theta I am so jealous of you and your audio version. Read by DNA himself?!?!?! Lucky.

Maybe I will read them in reverse order. Might be interesting. I'm currently in the middle of The Salmon of Doubt (towards the end of the 'The Universe' section) and I think part of the 'And Everything' section was supposed to be the third installment of the Dirk Gently saga. So I'll just start at the end and work my way towards the beginning. I can't think of any other author where one could read a series in reverse order and it'll still make some kind of sense. I heart DNA  

Tinnumir

Yuki-Onna Reed

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 1:45 am
Actually, I've got both Dirk Gently books and the full Hitchhiker's trilogy all on audio CD read by DNA. mrgreen I gloat, yes, but with cosmic sparkling joy! Got 'em at Barnes and Noble; I imagine you could easily pick 'em up somewhere. They're all unabridged, too, except of course for the one book I've never actually read which drives me crazy 'cause I dunno what's missing! stressed You can't abridge Douglas Adams! Screw time restraints, just make him read faster or something! blaugh

Anyway... heck, the Dirk Gently series would make sense no matter what order...well, that's not true. Better read Tea-Time of the Soul first - not really necessary to know who Thor is, but it's like... reverse spoilers. Bleah. Oh, but yeah, better start with a complete book so you get a feel for Dirk's character (first one's the best though - tying spoons to metronomes and what xd ).

And speaking of Salmon of Doubt (which makes me sad 'cause it's so unfinished and so very good) - does that ginger-haired, not-conspicuously-tall, maybe-but-probably-not-a-real-actor dude sound familiar to anyone else? ninja wink And I'm sure that cab driver's sister had to do with with the chick who got carjacked (or at least her car). And ever since I got this book I've been meaning to write a nice letter to the New Mexico Dep't of Transportation politely requesting a "Gusty Winds May Exist" road sign, but haven't quite gotten around to it yet. Maybe I'll just drive over there with a hacksaw sometime and get one myself. confused I imagine it'd make an awesome magnetic memo board as well as a decorative accent and conversation piece. 3nodding

The moon is much larger than it appears to be. heart  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 11:42 pm
Barnes & Noble, eh? maybe I should just pop in there and see if they have it here. Or if they could order it. That would be so incredibly wonderful.

...And as far as that "Gusty Winds May Exist" sign, make sure you save one for me when you're out there with your hacksaw!  

Tinnumir

Yuki-Onna Reed

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 2:49 am
Tinnumir
...And as far as that "Gusty Winds May Exist" sign, make sure you save one for me when you're out there with your hacksaw!

Right! 3nodding Now all I haves to do is get me my driver's license...

...and you do realize shipping & handling's gonna be a b***h on sending that to ya. Depending on how close you live to New Mexico, maybe it'd be more cost effective for you to drive out 'n' get your own wink

...speaking of cost-effective, those audiobooks are gonna be expensive. Forgot how much it cost me, but there are 5 or 6 CDs in each book - full set like I got definitely costs well over 100 bucks... Oh well. Support the industry, spread the conspiracy, fund the estate, that's what I say. whee

Seriously, how much of a freak am I? When I bought the first one (Dirk Gently, of course, the only one I hadn't read), I opened it up and spent about three minutes marveling at the intricacies of the engineering, getting all them CDs into that box... sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 11:59 pm
hmmm.....Broke college student and hundred-dollar cd sets don't exactly go very well together, do they? ah well. I just had a rather baffling experience. I was ordering a cd on Amazon.com (it was Styx, but that's unrelated) and I randomly decided to see what I could find on Dirk Gently's. And they had the option to order it new. I was muchly confused by this, as I have been told that it is out of print........anyway, I ordered it. So when it comes in, I'll let you all know about how it turned out, if it really is possible to get a new copy of an out-of-print book. isn't the internet great?

btw, it cost me $13.59 (American funds), if you want to know.  

Tinnumir

Celdia

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 6:25 am
Tinnumir
hmmm.....Broke college student and hundred-dollar cd sets don't exactly go very well together, do they? ah well. I just had a rather baffling experience. I was ordering a cd on Amazon.com (it was Styx, but that's unrelated) and I randomly decided to see what I could find on Dirk Gently's. And they had the option to order it new. I was muchly confused by this, as I have been told that it is out of print........anyway, I ordered it. So when it comes in, I'll let you all know about how it turned out, if it really is possible to get a new copy of an out-of-print book. isn't the internet great?

Can't wait to hear the review! smile As for it being listed as new, prolly just means someone has an undamaged/unsold copy of it from a book distributer or somesuch.

We should start a petition to get all of Adams' work back into print. And then send a copy of every book to everyone in the world. That'd be great.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 7:01 pm
Actually, Dirk Gently's not the main character of the novel named after him. He's not in the book for several chapters, IIRC. whee  

Yuki-Onna Reed

Tinnumir

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 10:25 pm
Celdia
Tinnumir

Can't wait to hear the review! smile As for it being listed as new, prolly just means someone has an undamaged/unsold copy of it from a book distributer or somesuch.

We should start a petition to get all of Adams' work back into print. And then send a copy of every book to everyone in the world. That'd be great.

Now there's a petition I will get in line to sign!
Maybe if everyone read a little Douglas Adams, the world would be a happier place. Too many people have absolutly no sense of humor! They're all too cranky. I say, give 'em a good, funny book and let 'em laugh. Then everyone will be so much happier.

...until you get to the really angry people who complain about how the latter books in the HHGG series completely contradict everything in the previous books....ah well. Some folks are just a lost cause.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 2:15 pm
Tinnumir
Celdia
Tinnumir

Now there's a petition I will get in line to sign!
Maybe if everyone read a little Douglas Adams, the world would be a happier place. Too many people have absolutly no sense of humor! They're all too cranky. I say, give 'em a good, funny book and let 'em laugh. Then everyone will be so much happier.

...until you get to the really angry people who complain about how the latter books in the HHGG series completely contradict everything in the previous books....ah well. Some folks are just a lost cause.

Yes, and unfortunately, most of them are allowed out of their houses unsupervised...  

Celdia

Yuki-Onna Reed

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 9:21 pm
Tinnumir

That's why HHGG is so great... not only does each version of it in different mediums contradict each other, it can also contradict itself in the exact same medium! wink  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 7:19 pm
I plan to get the books...I was browsing aroung B&N and even Hastings website and I saw that they had them.
But that's online...I have to actually go to the damn stores to check.  

Ichigo Stardust

Tinnumir

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 1:16 am
It's Here!!!!!!! I hold in my hands (well, not right now cause I'm typing) a new copy of a book that is known to be out of print! That's right, my copy of Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency arrived in my mailbox today! Huzzah for the miracles of the internet! I watched the mailman pull up to the mailbox today, and I watched him from the livingroom window as he put letters in the box, and then my hopes rose when I saw a small cardboard box. As soon as he pulled away I ran to the mailbox and pulled it out. I saw that it was addressed to me and had "Amazon.Com" on it in big letters, and I knew it was my book! I jumped up and squeed and did a happy dance right there in the middle of the street! I then bolted back into the house and ripped open the packaging. It's so pretty. *ogles book* I started reading it during my breaks at work and am enjoying it thouroughly. I liked the bit about the horse.  
The Official Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Guild!

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games