Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Graphic Designers Guild

Back to Guilds

Gaia's official Graphic Design Guild for all things profiles, logos, graphics and much much more! 

Tags: Graphic, Design, Digital art, Photoshop, Profiles 

Reply The Gaian Graphic Designers Guild
I have a bit of a mass of ideas...that normal?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

YumaKirosaki

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:15 pm
Here's the thing: Photoshop started as a sort of casual interest. As I turned 14-15 and moved back here to Louisiana, I started to tinker with it more and more. I now know a lot about it, though I'm not an "expert".

...However
there are a few conflicting interests now...

- Want to master Photoshop
- Want to learn Flash in using Photoshop with it to create interesting web-design
- Want to learn After Effects because I've always wanted to make interesting movies
- Want to learn to draw because I've always wanted to since I was a kid at the age of 6-7
- Want to learn about web-design coding
- Want to learn other programs and their uses with AE or PS

As I'm 17, (Sophmore,) though, and the school I'm in has removed all classes remotely regarding these subjects, I'm at a bit of a loss of what I should do. I keenly want to learn all of these, but I don't know if I have enough time. I can't even figure out what I want to learn first or what (if any) career I want to head towards that uses these things. I feel if I had more time in the day, I could easily get them in, but with school getting more demanding, me having to soon get a job, and me being distracted by music, video games, and other things, I just feel confused.

I guess what I'm looking for is tips. Is it realistic to want to learn all of this? Should I remove one or two in exchange for another? Will I have enough time?  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:04 pm
This is normal.
Take one day at a time.
We cannot absorb information/knowledge we must learn it.  

bikutsi

6,900 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Citizen 200

YumaKirosaki

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:32 pm
True...
It's just the stress from all of it that gets to me. Especially drawing. I think naturally, paper and pencil don't really come to me well. But I will learn how to draw. I have to. Same with the other stuff.

Thanks for the reply. I was starting to think this guild was dead. o-o  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:21 am
It's like bikutsi has pointed out, this is perfectly normal. You'll find that once you get into college/university, they'll cover a wide variety of topics and programs, however some colleges don't teach you how to use the programs, so you're better off trying to learn the programs yourself whenever you have the time.

As a graphic designer, you will be expected to know primarily hand drawings/sketches, photoshop, illustrator, flash, dreamweaver, and indesign. Secondary programs may include (depending on your career focus) aftereffects, html, css, xml, php, javascript, some knowledge of making objects in 3D, etc.

There is a lot of stuff to cover, but absorb it one thing at a time. Start with the basics and work your way up.  

Keiravarutri

godoftherain

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:25 pm
Whatever you do, keep the art.

However if you're looking to get into graphic design [web inclusive], as opposed to motion, you're missing 2 of your 3 core programs.

You have kind of 2 or 3 fields of specialty mixed in that list, that aren't mutually exclusive, and you can grow into other ones for sure.

however, you should make some choices.

If you want motion graphics -- video, special effects, knetic typography, etc, then your core set should be: photoshop, flash, after effects, premiere, final cut. that kind of stuff.

If you want traditional graphic design -- packaging, magazines, logos, etc, you should go with Photoshop, Illustrator, inDesign and typesetting.

If you want to be a web and interactive designer -- photoshop, illustrator, CSS, XHTML, some PHP, some Jquery, manipulating CMS systems, interactivity and usability theory, information architecture, plus or minus mobile development.

But with all those groups, keep the art.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:09 am
Surprised this thread got bumped again! Since this post was made I've had a change in interest and have gotten really interested in After Effects.

That being said, Web design sounds interesting too, so I'll take your advice as well.  

YumaKirosaki

The Gaian Graphic Designers Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff