Reply 'Tendo Cult~
Well, s**t... Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Sir Codin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:02 pm
The top half of my DS original became dislodged when it fell out of my car. Good news, the wires are still attached so top screen still works. Bad news, the top part won't open/close properly, plus there's a good chance the wires might loosen sooner or later, rendering the top screen unworkable.

Here's an image to get a better idea of it:

User Image

Can I get a problem like this fixed locally, like at a Gamestop or something, or should I dish out my birthday money and ship it to Nintendo of America to have them fix it? It should be noted I probably am out of warranty on this thing, 'cause I've had it since 2005.

Also, if it comes to it, how much does a used DS original usually go for at a Gamestop or some other game store?  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:34 pm
You should just upgrade. I know it doesn't seem that great but when you get a new DS (Lite, i, iXL) you will wonder how you ever played the original with its dull screens. It's probably going to be pricey to fix it, and as far as I know, Gamestop doesn't do stuff like that, so it'll be off to Nintendo who will charge you.  

Meta_Fish
Captain

Sir Codin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:36 pm
Meta_Fish
You should just upgrade. I know it doesn't seem that great but when you get a new DS (Lite, i, iXL) you will wonder how you ever played the original with its dull screens. It's probably going to be pricey to fix it, and as far as I know, Gamestop doesn't do stuff like that, so it'll be off to Nintendo who will charge you.

How much do used DS Lite's usually go for?

It might be cheaper just to fix it than to upgrade. I ain't got a job yet, so my personal use funds are somewhat low.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:40 pm
Lord of Armageddon
Meta_Fish

It might be cheaper just to fix it than to upgrade. I ain't got a job yet, so my personal use funds are somewhat low.
It will likely be cheaper to repair it yes, but how much, and is it really worth it? A Lite is nice, but I really recommend the DSi. DSiWare is getting some great stuff right now.

But I totally understand the no money issue. You could check eBay if you're into auctions, and if you're not, try Amazon.com for used DSes.  

Meta_Fish
Captain

Sir Codin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:43 pm
Meta_Fish
Lord of Armageddon
Meta_Fish

It will likely be cheaper to repair it yes, but how much, and is it really worth it? A Lite is nice, but I really recommend the DSi. DSiWare is getting some great stuff right now.

But I totally understand the no money issue. You could check eBay if you're into auctions, and if you're not, try Amazon.com for used DSes.

I don't like the removal of the GBA cartridge slot in the DSi...no matter what feature was put in compensate for it.

I'll check Amazon or eBay, like you suggested. Maybe they got some good prices there.

But it might end up being cheaper to repair. An upgrade sounds nice, but if I can't it doesn't matter that much. My old DS has suited me fine for a long time.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:57 pm
Lord of Armageddon
I don't like the removal of the GBA cartridge slot in the DSi...no matter what feature was put in compensate for it.

I'll check Amazon or eBay, like you suggested. Maybe they got some good prices there.

But it might end up being cheaper to repair. An upgrade sounds nice, but if I can't it doesn't matter that much. My old DS has suited me fine for a long time.
You likely have a GBA (SP) to play GameBoy and GBC games, right? Then losing a GBA slot should be no big deal. Granted it's not the best, but it's really not a huge bother. Especially considering you can always have tons of small cheap games in your DS with you all the time, music, and a camera.  

Meta_Fish
Captain

Sir Codin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:03 pm
Meta_Fish
Lord of Armageddon

You likely have a GBA (SP) to play GameBoy and GBC games, right? Then losing a GBA slot should be no big deal. Granted it's not the best, but it's really not a huge bother. Especially considering you can always have tons of small cheap games in your DS with you all the time, music, and a camera.

No, actually I don't. My last GBA SP was stolen and ever since, I've used my DS to play GBA games. If I get a DSi, there go my GBA games, unless I can convince my sister to give me her GBA, which she more than likely won't do.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:05 pm
Lord of Armageddon
No, actually I don't. My last GBA SP was stolen and ever since, I've used my DS to play GBA games. If I get a DSi, there go my GBA games, unless I can convince my sister to give me her GBA, which she more than likely won't do.
Dang, yo. But still, what GBA games do you play often?  

Meta_Fish
Captain

Sir Codin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:06 pm
Meta_Fish
Lord of Armageddon

I have a couple I still play very often:

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance and Pokemon Emerald, which I use to get Hoenn Pokemon into Platinum.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:13 pm
Lord of Armageddon
Meta_Fish
Lord of Armageddon

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance and Pokemon Emerald, which I use to get Hoenn Pokemon into Platinum.
Then maybe a Lite would be the way to go. I thought I'd really miss my GBA slot, but I don't. There's not really much worth going back to on it other than Pokemon.  

Meta_Fish
Captain

Sir Codin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:41 pm
Meta_Fish
Lord of Armageddon
Meta_Fish
Lord of Armageddon

Then maybe a Lite would be the way to go. I thought I'd really miss my GBA slot, but I don't. There's not really much worth going back to on it other than Pokemon.

Yeah, I was thinking that a Lite might be good, but I probably won't be able to afford it used...I'll have to check.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:44 pm
Lord of Armageddon
Meta_Fish
Lord of Armageddon
Meta_Fish
Lord of Armageddon

Yeah, I was thinking that a Lite might be good, but I probably won't be able to afford it used...I'll have to check.
You could buy an EB Edge Card, trade in some games at Gamestop and try to get a used Lite for cheap? Just an idea.  

Meta_Fish
Captain

Sir Codin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:47 pm
Meta_Fish
Lord of Armageddon
Meta_Fish
Lord of Armageddon
Meta_Fish
Lord of Armageddon

You could buy an EB Edge Card, trade in some games at Gamestop and try to get a used Lite for cheap? Just an idea.

Or I could try to find a used DS original if nothing else.

The screen'll be bright enough.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:48 pm
Lord of Armageddon
Meta_Fish
Lord of Armageddon
Meta_Fish
Lord of Armageddon

Or I could try to find a used DS original if nothing else.

The screen'll be bright enough.
Yeah. But the Lite is so much better. xd  

Meta_Fish
Captain

Sir Codin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:04 am
I've managed to repair it somewhat with scotch tape. xd
If it comes loose, all I gotta do is replace the tape.

As long as I'm not to rough with it, it'll be just fine.

I'm still probably going to try to get it repaired or get an upgrade, though, but at least this'll keep me satisfied if I can't do that before Pokemon HGSS comes out.  
'Tendo Cult~

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff