Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Occult Research Society

Back to Guilds

A guild devoted to the study of the occult, in all its forms. 

Tags: Magick, Psionics, Supernatural, Paranormal, Occult 

Reply The Occult Research Society
Curse words? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

8Bit Jack

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:29 pm
Can the use of profane language bring about negativity for yourself? Even if they're said for sake of extreme expression, and not actually negatively directed at someone?  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:38 pm
I don't think so, man.

I'm pretty sure they are just words, until they are used to demean and/or hurt someone else.  

-X-Luciferin-X-Bandit-X-

8Bit Jack

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:54 pm
I'd been hoping that was the case... There's a lot of negativity in my life, and I'm trying to snuff out all causes. Thought that may be one of them.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:38 am
8Bit Jack
Can the use of profane language bring about negativity for yourself? Even if they're said for sake of extreme expression, and not actually negatively directed at someone?

I imagine swearing is more an indirect symptom of already feeling negative rather than generating negativity in and of itself - if you're already angry, you're more likely to swear, but (though it does seem logically possible, if you anchor the emotion of "anger" to swear words) you don't tend to get angry /because/ you swear.

That said, you could end up generaring a negligible amount of negativity by swearing, but it's more a psychological effect than a magical one. Some folks are put off by swearing that, if you swear in front of them, with no malice of forethought, they'll become offended, and their disposition and treatment of you will be less friendly than it was before. To some folks, words really do have power, primarily over their emotional feedback.  

Rustig

4,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Entrepreneur 150

Panty Master

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:53 am
As Mitsh said, it's more of a psychological thing. I was looking into Buddhism when I went about searching for a religion, and I was told by a couple Buddhists that cursing brought about bad karma. I still believe that, so I limit my swearing as much as I can. I think it's had a more positive outcome on my life. A lot of the little, irritating things have gone away. It all depends on what you think is bad, though I guess.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:45 am
What a coincidence, I was studying Buddhism too (Still am...).

The way I see it, In Buddhism, Cursing brings about bad Karma when the words are used in a negative way, to bring harm upon another. The word itself isn't what brings about back Karma, it's the intention behind the word. The Occasional 'F'Bomb isn't gonna hurt anything, as long as you don't direct it in a way that hurts someone.

But a lot of buddhism is up to interpretation, so... Who knows.  

-X-Luciferin-X-Bandit-X-

Ishtar Shakti

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:44 pm
8Bit Jack

Not necessarily nope havn't seen it happen  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:39 pm
Mitsh
8Bit Jack

I imagine swearing is more an indirect symptom of already feeling negative rather than generating negativity in and of itself - if you're already angry, you're more likely to swear, but (though it does seem logically possible, if you anchor the emotion of "anger" to swear words) you don't tend to get angry /because/ you swear.

That said, you could end up generaring a negligible amount of negativity by swearing, but it's more a psychological effect than a magical one. Some folks are put off by swearing that, if you swear in front of them, with no malice of forethought, they'll become offended, and their disposition and treatment of you will be less friendly than it was before. To some folks, words really do have power, primarily over their emotional feedback.

You covered it pretty well Mitsh.

On the note of psychological effect, I think it's very liable; the causality of negative energies, if you will. A large part due to social interactions, and the associations words have in correlation with emotions. I mean, through those effects, relating these things into your consciousness; I say could in fact have a very negative effect not only psychologically, but spiritually as well.

It all really depends on you though. 3nodding

Garret_Strife

yo_wtf

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 12:57 am
8Bit Jack

I don't think so. Personally I think they're used too casually in society to have a negative or positive effect... unless maybe you're deeply offended by profanity, I don't see it having any real effect on your life except mothers not wanting you near their small children...

Then again if you PUT power into them, that's a whole 'nother story!  
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 2:39 am
It depends. If you swear intelligently and it is well placed in the curse. Then it can work as a great emphasis. If you are extremely uncreative and repetitive with your swearing. you wouldn't be putting near as much creative energy into your spell. Which you DON'T want.

Think of writing a spell, like writing a poem with well placed meaning and cleverly placed words for emphasis on an intent. Seriously, if you practice writing GOOD poetry. You can write spells easier.  

Satrevi

Simim

5,750 Points
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 2:52 pm
Mythbusters confirmed that they were able to tolerate pain longer when they were shouting out profanities.

Therefore, I think profanity is a great way to vent and is probably one of the best things about the spoken language.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:27 am
8Bit Jack

It's been studied scientifically that 'curse' words actually release pain killing endorphins in the brain. I think the people who can't stop cursing might be addicted to the endorphins/pain killers that it brings and perhaps that's why we shout profanity when we stub our little pinky toe on something for instance x_x. Addiction or dependency certainly can bring about bad karma but I am of the opinion that something is only as wrong as you believe it to be. Guilt is something that you're not able to truly hide from your higher self.

Why we curse..

check it out. it was in Scientific American.

- Tori

* edit* i think that if you say curse words negatively at someone the extra pain endorphins might help you out if your a** is about to get kicked.  

Lovely-Avarice

Unforgiving Bloodsucker

7,700 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100

Taigamma

Shadowy Paladin

8,850 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Battle: Knight 100
  • Battle: KO 200
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:29 am
Just like every other thing that has ever made us feel good when we rebelled, curse words are the speech form. XD  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:36 pm
i am a firm believer that Words hold Power.

that said, i swear and curse all the time. i wouldn't attribute my bad Karma to the words i use though, in and of themselves.

what matters is intent. if you charge your words with intent and Will, they will effect the Universe, and you as well.

all things are Energy, including Thoughts, Sounds, and Feelings. and Energy attracts like Energy. it goes out in waves, and brings back to it's source more of the same. you get what you give.

so yeh, that's what i have to say on it.  

Chieftain Twilight

Loyal Rogue

14,550 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Elocutionist 200

Lovely-Avarice

Unforgiving Bloodsucker

7,700 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:24 am
Chieftain Twilight
i am a firm believer that Words hold Power.

that said, i swear and curse all the time. i wouldn't attribute my bad Karma to the words i use though, in and of themselves.

what matters is intent. if you charge your words with intent and Will, they will effect the Universe, and you as well.

all things are Energy, including Thoughts, Sounds, and Feelings. and Energy attracts like Energy. it goes out in waves, and brings back to it's source more of the same. you get what you give.

so yeh, that's what i have to say on it.

A question sir, If I may.

By affecting the universe are we talking quantum ripples ie butterfly effecting, everything is connected energy vibrations or is your thinking more along the lines of a spiritual belief.

I agree with intent and will having more meaning that actual common language by it's self. In certain ways we can train our minds to focus intent on words that wouldn't normally be there.

How do you view karma? Are you more of the Hindu idea that karma is usually used as a negative term and if you have it to repay you must have done something bad in a previous life and that is why you are here or of the Buddhist idea of karma in which it's considered voluntary thought, word or deed either past or present much like the western idea of sin?

additionally....

Energy to my knowledge seeks to balance it's self. If you send out negative you are unbalanced having more positive than negative and thus creating a temporary vacuum as your energy realigns it's self though a path of least resistance which often times isn't very pleasant depending on the deficit. In my findings the 3 fold idea or the 7 fold idea is really referring to a replacement, not a potentiality of energy. It's not really that energy attracts like energy. Opposites attract. It's pretty much a universal/metaphysical accepted law.

-- Just wanting to clarify

--Vittoria.  
The Occult Research Society

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas