I have been working on this theory for a while now but was unable to complete it because of some information which has only come to light recently. What I am talking about is Akatsuki’s capturing of all the ninja who have sealed demons. I was under the impression before that they simply wanted Naruto because Orochimaru wanted Sasuke. But know that they have begun to capture nins like Garaa, this theory can be put into full swing.

Does anyone think that it is a little weird that the number of Akatsuki members matches the number of Demons in this series? What if the sole purpose of Akatsuki was to create a brotherhood of ninjas with sealed demons. Would this not create a power imbalance allowing these ninjas to virtually rule the entire Naruto universe?

So here is the theory then. There is a ninja in Akatsuki who already has a demon sealed within him. He has the brilliant idea to search out and find all the other ninjas who have demons sealed. He tries to enlist them into his group, but if they choose not to, then better to get rid of them then leave them alone (hence the current conflict with Garaa). If by some chance a ninja with a sealed demon had to be destroyed, his spot in the organization should be taken over by the next strongest ninja (hence Itachi’s place in the organization).

So based on my theory I have begun to assume who could possibly be Demon Nins (it’s just easier to call them this). We know of two, Naruto and Garaa. But for the most part anyways Demon Nins share characteristics with their Demons. Naruto has wiskers, Garaa has those circles around his eyes (they say they’re from lack of sleep, but badgers have them too). I have come to the conclusion that Kisame could be one (based solely on characteristics), as well as the ninja who observed the Sasu/Naru fight (Venus Fly Trap guy).

This also alludes to a deeper and more coherent reason for why Orochimaru left the organization. If a Demon Nin is killed and his spot is to be taken over by another powerful nin, and Orochimaru already knew that Itachi was stronger, put two and two together and you see that when the other 8 Demon Nins were found there would be no room for Orochimaru. Hence why he left.

Long story short, the main purpose of Akatsuki is to collect all the Demon Nins in the Naruto universe to create an all powerful clan which could rival any nation. This is why we are seeing all the hidden conflicts and so far have had no idea what their true intentions were. Well at least until recently.

Again this is all speculation, and I leave it up to others to find faults with this theory. It can only be made stronger or discredited so I leave the debate open.

((This is neglecting the formation of one large demon by fusing all 9 Demons))