Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Graphic Designers Guild

Back to Guilds

Gaia's official Graphic Design Guild for all things profiles, logos, graphics and much much more! 

Tags: Graphic, Design, Digital art, Photoshop, Profiles 

Reply The Gaian Graphic Designers Guild
Key principles for starting a graphic design business

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Koiyuki

Mind-boggling Codger

1,300 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:15 pm
I've been thinking for a good while about starting a small business selling some of my graphic design products, and right now I'm in a class teaching the basics of business so I can cover myself on the operations end of things. I've always wondered what steps should be taken before putting a design out. Is it better to design your own lettering, use public domain/less copyright restricted fonts or just buy fonts straight out? What about some of the other issues involved, like taking designs from the computer to physical media?  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:37 pm
I would strongly recommend you take some graphic communications courses. In the professional world, you'll want to refer to 'fonts' as typefaces. And the best designers will really only need to use two typefaces: Helvetica and Arial. Nothing is stopping you from using other typefaces, it's just important for you to remember legibility.  

Minthalas

6,950 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Invisibility 100

godoftherain

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:59 am
Unfortunately, if you can't and don't know these answers already, you are not ready to call yourself a graphic designer, nor are you ready "sell your own products."

There are many levels to graphic communication, including textual, cultural, semantic/semiotic, visual composition, marketing, sales, human factors, typography, production and prepress.

before you consider selling your wares, you might want to know a bit about the field you're competing in. And it's very, very competitive.  
The Gaian Graphic Designers Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games