Submit

Do you still do this?
  Yes, very often...
  Only with rare Pokemon...
  No. It doesn't do anything, why bother?
View Results

Sir Codin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:23 am
How many of you Pokemon players still have a habit of pressing A+B+Down when catching Pokemon?

For those of you who don't know, the whole A+B+Down trend arose during the early days of Pokemon, back during Red, Green/Blue, and Yellow. Given certain conditions, either before the Poke'Ball is thrown or before it hits the Poke'mon, jamming A+B+Down or a similar button combination would supposedly increase your chances of capturing the Poke'mon or according to some in the earlier days, turn the Poke'Ball into a Master Ball. However, even though it's been proven that pressing A+B+Down does absolutely nothing, many people still do it.

I still tend to do it very often, even though I know for a fact that it does practically nothing. But for some strange reason it still FEELS like it actually helps.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:39 am
Milk and I got a ROM copy of the original silver on a PC back before it came out, it was all in japanese and we didn't know how to do anything, but when we found out how to throw pokeballs one of us jammed the corresponding AB buttons on the keyboard and the other held down. We eventually both got the actual games.

I broke my habit of doing that a while ago, but I still hit B every time the ball rocks, or when I am really really sick of throwing ultra balls I set it down and yell at it.  

Owwin

dragn99

Aged Guildswoman

8,550 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:41 am
I've found that Ultra Balls in Platinum are the worst balls in the game.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:07 am
dragn99
I've found that Ultra Balls in Platinum are the worst balls in the game.
do they suck balls?  

Xilo The Odd

Master_Glink

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:11 pm
I actually never did that... Although where I live, they simply held down A or mashed it, thinking it would heighten their chances... I never understood why that would be logical, so I never did it.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:22 pm
I used to like the challenge of trying to catch things with premier balls.

On the DS I tap the screen when the poke is in the ball and hold down on the pokeball image.

When I was first catching all the legendaries in Diamond I'd draw circles around the pokeball until it I got it.  

[Kegan]

Nimble Cultist

Orphie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:41 pm
Here it was mashing either A and B alternately, or just B.

I did that until a while ago, but once in a while I'll press it if I get impatient or I really want the Pokemon.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:53 pm
[Kegan]

When I was first catching all the legendaries in Diamond I'd draw circles around the pokeball until it I got it.

Huh. You mean the ball on the touchscreen background? 'Cause that's what I do, just as a sort of idle thing.  

Sharkbutt The Orgiastic

Magnetic Sex Symbol

7,650 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Hygienic 200
  • Elocutionist 200

TtheHero

Unbeatable Protagonist

29,625 Points
  • Falling For You 25
  • Waffles! 25
  • Diedrich Supporter 50
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:58 pm
I've done it once or twice before in R/B, and strangely, they worked each time.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who does it, even in these later gens.

And speaking of a Premier Ball, that danged Sudowoodo near national Park ate up all of the other balls I had on hand, and yet the one Premier Ball I checked managed to snag it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:04 pm
Wantcookie
[Kegan]

Huh. You mean the ball on the touchscreen background? 'Cause that's what I do, just as a sort of idle thing.
I know, I didn't even realize that I'd gotten in the habit for a while.  

[Kegan]

Nimble Cultist

Allegro

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:37 pm
I always tapped A in time with the movement of the Pokeball.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:46 pm
I've moved the screen side to side knowing that the game doesn't record movement and that I'm doing nothing.

And even when it takes me all day to catch a ledgendary I still believes it helps me for some reason. This is because I caught Latias and Regirock in pokeballs while doing this  

CherubiMaster

Sharkbutt The Orgiastic

Magnetic Sex Symbol

7,650 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Hygienic 200
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:53 pm
[Kegan]
Wantcookie
[Kegan]

I didn't notice until someone asked me why I was doing it, and I had to answer "I...I've no idea." xd  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:25 pm
Wantcookie
[Kegan]
Wantcookie
[Kegan]

I didn't notice until someone asked me why I was doing it, and I had to answer "I...I've no idea." xd

Weird... I've done this in later generations as well. Every time I'm waiting for something to happen, I find myself circling the pokeball on the bottom screen.  

Master_Glink

moonlightwaterdragon

5,500 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:27 pm
I actually yell "Gotcha!" right before the pokeball closes. Unless someone else is in the room. That would be a bit awkward.  
'Tendo Cult~

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff