Reply The Anime Art Academy
Back to the Basics

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ketshiro Taro

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 3:34 am
gonk After being impatient and learning and I am unable to draw backgrounds in photoshop without making them look like doodle s**t, I think I am going to return to drawing backgrounds with paper and pencil. crying Anyone else have background difficulties? Anything in general about it?  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 7:43 am
I almost never draw backgrounds. D: I envy those who can come up with good ones. I usually just do character studies and such.  

Tawney

Salsa Mime

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 8:50 am
Drawing a backround into your art is taking the leap from simple illustrations to an actual artistic composition. You know all that wierd s**t about Value and Lien your art teacher is always spurting? Well it's going to slap you hard now if you don't use it.
The backround should speak about the charecter pictured; doing a little research on other paintings shows that nothing in a backround was just put in for no reason; everything has a reason, be it narrative or visual manipulative.
The best tip I can give is to draw the whole drawing at the same time; don't draw either the backround or the person first. Start with blocky shapes of the whole deal and work the whole drawing up from there. It really helps keep the person a part of their backround.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 5:24 pm
I see what you mean about the background. I like the rest of it, though!

I have a lot of trouble with backgrounds, so I have been working on them lately. The hardest thing about them. (For me) is getting the perspective right. I did find a good site that talks about linear perspective. I don't know if it will help you, but just in case;

Linear Perspective  

JackalAndromeda

The Anime Art Academy

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces