What ever happened to arcade games? Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

[Kegan]

Nimble Cultist

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:52 pm
Does anyone remember the multiplayer Ninja Turtles game that use to be everywhere. Storm catcher, SKIIII BALL. All the other more forgettable ones.

What ever happened to the arcade? I eman, other than the fact that arcades are like a germ hotspot full of little bastards who probably don't wash their hands after wiping their a**, and smell like they messed that up too.

Why have I net seen any good arcade games? There's something visceral about being able to go to these cesspits and actually play a game with a person in real life.

The argument comes to mind that arcades simply weren't needed when home consoles became popular, but while that's true, they also were completely abandoned, and after home consoles very little progress was made to make good arcade games. Arcade games have the added benefit of not having to worry so much about price, they can afford to be over the top and s**t. I dunno.

I guess I just miss ARCADES.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:55 pm
I remember going to arcades for birthday parties. That was fun. And then spending a ton of cash just to get some tickets from games to win some prize that would have probably just been cheaper to buy.

I never got to go to them much, but I always wanted to.  

Orphie

Allegro

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:02 pm
LAN parties happened.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:13 pm
Home consoles and Computers happened  

Reesa

Magic Lover

15,750 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Dressed Up 200

[Kegan]

Nimble Cultist

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:33 pm
ITT people didn't read the post where I said WHY arcades disappeared.

I should really have asked why they became a stagnant industry, which doesn't ever make new s**t.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:42 pm
I didn't use the key word "Everyone"  

[Kegan]

Nimble Cultist

[Kegan]

Nimble Cultist

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:50 pm
Owwin
[Kegan]
I didn't use the key word "Everyone"
But you did say people. Am I not a people? I take umbrage!
People died.
Everyone must be dead.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:54 pm
It does seem that way, doesn't it? I used to go to Sac State every Saturday and play Simpsons Bowling, Time Crisis 3, Pinball, various fighting games, various racing games, and some weird Anime-ish Puzzle Bobble game which was later replaced with Puzzle Bobble.
And I never knew where we went was a college XD I always thought it was strange that they had an Arcade at a college... but awesome.
Nowadays, there's a little arcade I go to at the movies but it isn't really the same... but it does have racing games and Time Crisis 4!~
Also, back in my crazy pinball days I bought a Spyro Pinball and a tinier Mario Pinball XD  

Paper Sonic

Hilarious Lunatic

Allegro

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:54 pm
[Kegan]
ITT people didn't read the post where I said WHY arcades disappeared.

I should really have asked why they became a stagnant industry, which doesn't ever make new s**t.
And my answer still stands. Once companies saw that you could get the same arcade experience on Linked consoles, AKA you didn't have to leave your house for you and your friends to play, it was easiest to just pull out of the fight.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:59 pm
Man, I love arcades. There are so few that haven't shut down, though. I don't see why they're not more popular. It's SO much fun to play arcade games with friends and family, often even more than console games.
I wish it was still the time when everyone went to the arcade for fun on a regular basis, not just self-proclaimed gamers.  

Thanatoast Crunch

TtheHero

Unbeatable Protagonist

29,625 Points
  • Falling For You 25
  • Waffles! 25
  • Diedrich Supporter 50
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:10 pm
I wish I had gone to more arcade places.

Nowadays the only machines I ever get to see are in the local laundromat. User Image

Social Room

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff