Reply Pokémon Defenders
Anyone willing to help me on this team? [OU RMT]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Bulbasauurr

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:14 pm
Hello everyone! I'm creating another team, and am trying to use my favorites (this will explain the lack of skill that this team has).

Anyways, I am missing a 6th pokemon! Now I'm not asking for someone to give me a pokemon set that would fit this team, but if you could mention something like "hey, this team could get torn apart by ice and electric, etc" I'd really really appreciate that. I was thinking of putting in a special sweeper... or maybe a Tank? I'm not sure. Anyways, the team:

User Image
Weavile (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 6 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd
Jolly nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Fake Out
- Taunt
- Ice Punch
- Night Slash

An anti-lead. Fake out + Taunt should shut down most SR/Spike users. I gave it dual stab because I'm not too crazy about counter.

User Image
Venusaur (M) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 252 HP/6 SAtk/252 SDef
Calm nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Sleep Powder
- Leech Seed
- Sludge Bomb
- Energy Ball

I know SD + Power Whip is more popular with Venusaur, but I don't like Power Whip's accuracy, and Venusaur has always felt like a staller to me. Or special wall? Sleep Powder, Leech Seed, then proceed to wear down health with dual stab.

User Image
Blastoise (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP/252 Def
Bold nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Rapid Spin
- Ice Beam
- Surf
- Yawn

I chose rapid spin Blastoise because I need a spinner in case Weavile can't do his job (for Typhlosion later on). Ice Beam for coverage, Surf for stab, Yawn to pseudo haze. I know there are much better spinners than Blastoise, but Blastoise was my first pokemon and favorite as a kid. That's taboo to admit to using pokemon only because you like them, but I'm sure at least one of you understands.

User Image
Lucario (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 6 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd
Jolly nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Crunch
- Extremespeed

SD Lucario, almost as overused as Scizor, but my favorite fighting type. I know everyone uses the SD set, but this has been the most reliable set I have run on Lucario yet. Switch in on immunity or resistance, SD, and prepare to wreck s**t.

User Image
Typhlosion (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 82 Atk/176 Spd/252 SAtk
Rash nature (+SAtk, -SDef)
- Eruption
- Fire Blast
- Focus Punch
- Earthquake

I don't agree with Typhlosions NU status, because of this set. I know he has a shallow movepool, but I've managed to dent a few teams with his scarfed eruption. Like I said earlier, I rely on Blastoise or Weavile to get rid of entry hazards. If they somehow don't, I use fire blast as a backup. Focus Punch for Blisseys that people like to switch in, and EQ for the coverage.

Any feedback is definitely appreciated. Sorry for the page stretch.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:22 am
You could use a counter to fighting types, ground types, a tank, a physical wall, or a counter to tanks (particularly toxic tanks). Weaville might work against some tanks with Taunt, but others that have decent offense ability, particularly some physical wallish types, could be able to wear it down despite it's great attack, speed, and STAB moves, and if they have both a set-up and a toxic physical waller, you'd probably be in trouble.

I'd suggest a flying type or levitation pokemon, perhaps a Chimeco, or a Bronzog, or a Togekiss. Togekiss and Chimeco can both learn heal bell, and I'm pretty sure they can all learn safeguard. Togekiss and Bronzog have great defenses, and Chimeco can make a surprisingly good tank and pseudo-passer with reflect and light screen, and all three are immune to ground, and at least neutral damage from fighting, have STAB attacks that are super effective against fighting, with Chimeco resistant to fighting type damage, and can all learn moves that are super-effective against fighting. Togekiss can also learn magical leaf, water pulse, or solarbeam for anti-ground coverage. Bronzog can also learn heal block, in order to prevent the opponent from using healing techniques on their tanks.

You might also want to consider teaching something an electric move for additional anti-flying coverage beyond Blastoise and Weaville's ice moves if you plan to try battling Uber or OU teams, due to all the flying legendaries, and the fact that Weaveille is primarily an anti-lead, and Blastoise is more of a tank in stats, and doesn't have the raw power to gun down some of the tougher legendaries, plus it gives additional anti-water coverage, and water is one of the most common types of pokemon, and you only really have Venusaur for that right now, and Venusaur as a grass type is also weak to ice moves, which are popular on water pokemon, in an environment where physical ice moves are starting to become useful, and Venusaur is more special defense focused.

I know Venusaur is sort of an anti-ground, but he isn't resistant like pure grass types because of poison type and lacks the physical defense to stand up to high powered STAB earthquakes well, or the offenses to always deal well with wallish ground types. He's a great pokemon, but not so much for his being appropriate to his typing for competitive battling, that is why I still recommend anti-ground and some kind of electric move placed in there, preferably on something with the offenses to really nail it, perhaps replace Extremespeed or Crunch with Thunderpunch on Lucario, allowing him to clobber popular flyers and waters better in exchange for either speed strikes or anti-psychic cruching.  

Toko Ojin

4,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250

Bulbasauurr

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:43 pm
Wow!
That was a beautiful analysis. Thank you so much. I'm thinking I'm going to go with Togekiss, and maybe swap out crunch for thunder punch. Immunity to ground makes Togekiss good for taking EQs, plus I have rapid spin on my team to get rid of the entry hazards that turned me away from wanting to use him in the first place.

Maybe something like...

Togekiss (M) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP/104 Spd/152 SAtk
Modest nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Air Slash
- Roost
- Water Pulse
- Heal Bell

Do you think that might work?
Lum Berry in case of item clause, otherwise Leftovers. Serene Grace for Air Slash's flinch hax, Roost for the HP restoration, Water Pulse for killing the ground types I am weak to, and Heal Bell for restoring the status that people will attempt to inflict.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:26 pm
Looks good to me! cool  

Toko Ojin

4,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250

[Philosophy In A Teacup]
Crew

Omnipresent Prophet

16,525 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Beta Gaian 0
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:49 pm
Man... Toko, I am lazy as hell with my EV training, and that analysis of yours makes me want to continue my training plans right now and then have a nice battle with someone good. Dear stars, post more, man.

Anyway, since Toko pretty much hit the nail on the head, I only have a small suggestion to make, which is more "If you want to" than "You probably really should"; But for Venu, in case you didn't want to deal with how finicky Sleep is, you could probably replace it with Poison Powder and go for double between damage (and Leech+Poison annoys the ******** out of people, which is half the battle).

Also

>That's taboo to admit to using pokemon only because you like them

Eff that noise, bro. I use Ninetales on my main team and according to Smogon the poor thing is NU. But she can give even legendaries a run for their money. Live by Karen's words, man, and if someone harasses you for it, tell them to suck it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:37 pm
I agree. (: Toko hearing your words makes me happy to work on this team.

And thank you Tippy. It's good to see someone using pokemon that they like. it's reassuring. (:

I always thought Ninetails was pretty good. I don't understand it's status. She has a pretty good arsenal and stats... plus shes a beautiful pokemon. One of my favorites. (:  

Bulbasauurr

[Philosophy In A Teacup]
Crew

Omnipresent Prophet

16,525 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Beta Gaian 0
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:16 pm
Bulbasauurr
I agree. (: Toko hearing your words makes me happy to work on this team.

And thank you Tippy. It's good to see someone using pokemon that they like. it's reassuring. (:

I always thought Ninetails was pretty good. I don't understand it's status. She has a pretty good arsenal and stats... plus shes a beautiful pokemon. One of my favorites. (:

Ninetales has been my favorite since I was eight/nine years old, and I love her to bits. She makes a killer Wide Lens+Hypnosis+Dream Eater user, since no one expects it. In 2007, during GameStop's PBR tournament, my girl managed to go head-to-head with a Giratina and lost only because the Giratina sleephax'd and woke up right after it got put to sleep. Twice.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:02 pm
I never thought of that move. She has sweeper-ish stats, plus has access to energy ball, so I'd expect something with that. Was that before Hypnosis's accuracy was cut down?  

Bulbasauurr

[Philosophy In A Teacup]
Crew

Omnipresent Prophet

16,525 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Beta Gaian 0
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:48 pm
Bulbasauurr
I never thought of that move. She has sweeper-ish stats, plus has access to energy ball, so I'd expect something with that. Was that before Hypnosis's accuracy was cut down?

Before, since I use her on my Diamond. But even with Plat's nerf, it still works fairly well. Probably not as much as I'd like, though.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:30 pm
4 out of 5 wins! Wow.

Well, one of them someone tried to use FEAR on me, but failed.  

Bulbasauurr

Pokémon Defenders

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff