Online relationships...Do they work? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Bitter Lemons

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:31 pm
No, I'm not asking for advice, I don't have my e-eye on anyone ;D
I'm just curious as to how people make them work if all it's going to be is just text on a screen or through phonecalls. Yes, it's nice to talk to people & all but don't you miss out on a lot?
Fair enough if you do meet up, but then it's not really an online relationship...Just long-distance. I'm not sayin' it's impossible, I just think that it would be really difficult.

Personally, I couldn't. Have you had an e-lationship?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:07 pm
i did a few times blah, but it didnt work out at all sadly lol

dark_angel_guardiana

6,050 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Signature Look 250

Jeannette Willow

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:28 pm
I've not had a purely-e-relationship work out, but as a prelude to having a rl relationship it's worked. It gave us a chance to know each other without being distracted by things like a bad hair day.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:46 pm
I've had a Online relationship. It didn't really work out tho razz
It was on another site, Not gaia.  

ventera

Interesting Businesswoman

Bitter Lemons

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:00 pm
Ahhh...Yeah /:
Although I'm sure hiding bad hair days is pretty good ~ unfortunately I always have this problem so it's not that easy to hide ;D
But yeah, like...I see loads of people on here talking about their relationships & I just honestly couldn't think of not seeing my partner in the flesh. Huh -scratches head-

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:29 am
I dont think that online relationships ever work out for the best. For one thing you don't get the rl experience of going out on dates and getting to know eachother.

For example I know that now a days its easier to kit, but what if they get grounded and you cant talk to them? Or if the webcam breaks? Also what if this person is not who they say they are? Anyone could easily pull off being someone else.

Besides as parents say about myspace and fb, it could be some creepo who is looking for a good time. XD  

Shuh-duh-fuh-cup

8,150 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150

SerenaTsuki

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:15 am
Well, I did once a online relationship but was the friend relationship. Enough say, that person wasn't the person I thought he was. I think, not because he/she seems cool online, he/she is. My advice to everyone is, don't trust online people even if they aren't bad, don't do it. You have real life friends for that.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:11 pm
I've had several "relationships" online, but I was always clear that rl meeting was out of the question. Some have been insistent and tried to pressure me into it, but I usually drop them after that. My sister and I had a bad experience, where she invited a guy from the net to our house, and he vastly overstayed his welcome. It could have been worse, but it -should- have been a lot better.  

moonyc141

Shakespeares_Sister

Shameless Elder

9,950 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:56 pm
Long distance relationships, is a no go for me.
Well first, I wouldn't be able to see my babe, then I would be constantly worrying if hes cheating on me, what is he doing.
it brings lots of drama into my life, and i don't like drama, i rather watch it on tv.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:32 pm
joe_is_my_hubby
I dont think that online relationships ever work out for the best. For one thing you don't get the rl experience of going out on dates and getting to know eachother.

For example I know that now a days its easier to kit, but what if they get grounded and you cant talk to them? Or if the webcam breaks? Also what if this person is not who they say they are? Anyone could easily pull off being someone else.

Besides as parents say about myspace and fb, it could be some creepo who is looking for a good time. XD

Yeah, aside from the whole "it could be a creepy old pervert," thing ~ I don't see how you could be really attracted to someone that you only speak to online. Like, if you've never met? Fair enough, you may really like them & all to begin with, but when you realise that you're not actually able to spend time with them physically then I think it just...Well, doesn't work. It certainly wouldn't for me. D:

I've met people from the internet...But I've never started a relationship with them prior to the meeting. As Moony said, it could be an unwelcome experience.
Mmh I can definitely understand all of the worry that goes alongside it too. I guess online-'dating' has both its pros & cons, depends what way you look at it. I'll stick to real people though, who I can actually hug.

Gotta stop with these monsters of replies o.o;

Bitter Lemons

Sayuri_Elecktra_Chan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:08 pm
Honestly, It depends on the people in the relationship and how the mindset and intentions of the people involved. I guess I myself am an example. I have been with my girlfriend for 3 months. Yesterday was our 3 month mark.^.^ We've been through alot, but we're somehow making it work. I have a plan to see her this summer and if I can't get there then next summer since I will be 18 and free to go where I please. I do believe that a big part of it is making up for not being able to go on a date and touch and kiss by making sure mentally you're close. The person that you're with should be your very best friend and so you have to make sure you communicate and trust eachother. I think a major part in the is proving who you are at the begining of the relationship or probably before it even begins because when you don't there's always that doubt that instead of being a teenage girl that you're actually a 46 years old perv who's jacking off and eating cereal. o.0 anyways. I think that making the most of not being together makes when you finally are together better:] And that's another thing. You have to establish that you WILL meet and be together. If you're just like "Oh, well we'll see what happeneds...." It's a lack of commitment and it probably won't work. You both have to be determined and dedicated and need to communicate alot more than a couple who are with eachother all the time. It's not really something for someone who's super duper clingy, over protective, and insanely jealous of everything and everyone. You kind of have to be rather mature. Idk it's just my opinion. Some off you are probably thinking " Well, what does she know she's only been with this girl for 3 months!" Well, this isn't my first relationship like this. I was with a guy for an entire year but he was mentally abuseive which is why we broke up. It's truly all in the people who are in the relationship. For some strange reason it usually works out better for me when they don't live near me sweatdrop that's a little strange.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:56 pm
I had one once... it didn't really work out. We're still friends though  

chalikun

coacovampire

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:58 pm
Never tried never will, my friend did though. She has about three boyfriends right now and doesn't like any of them  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:08 am
¢ιηηαмση тσαѕт_ѕayѕ ;

I think that most relationships don't work out but it doesn't mean it never works out people have had online relationships before and they started a family heck I already know someone who has been through this before and shes perfectly happy where she is

But the problem i think about this whole "online dating" is that you never really know if the person is being honest or not and even if he is wouldn't you actually want to spend time with him rather than online? You would miss out on a lot of things

There are positive things though you can meet a guy online and fall in love with him because of his personality and not good looks

So yes online relationships work out but only with certain peopleUser Image

User Image User Image User Image

Cinnamon Toaast
Crew

5,050 Points
  • Befriended 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Invisibility 100

xXxOndinexXx

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:07 pm
It depends on the two people involved.

But another thing is most people just think, "Internet relashons? O NO PERVERTS!!", when there are plenty of people you can meet/date in real life who could hurt you as well.

Though I myself have had numerous online relationships (friends and boyfriend type things), and don't really care for it (the boyfriend part), I do know some people who have had successful relationships on the internet. A relative of mine met someone on the internet, and they've been married for sixteen years.

The biggest con for me, about online communication, is the physical factor. Speaking face to face, watching an eyelid twitch.. Nothing beats that.

- Ondine pirate  
The Main Floor

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces