Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Occult Research Society

Back to Guilds

A guild devoted to the study of the occult, in all its forms. 

Tags: Magick, Psionics, Supernatural, Paranormal, Occult 

Reply The Café (General Chat)
Buddhist Vishnu?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

silverncold196

6,200 Points
  • Overstocked 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Pie Enabler 100
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:58 pm
I recently was going through my local bookstore's selection when I saw several books discussing the Buddhist Vishnu. I only got a quick glance at it, but it really confused me... While I have had a much larger focus on Hinduism than other main world religions, I hadn't heard of Buddhists worshiping gods outside of either Buddha himself, or in some parts of Japan, Shinto gods.

...Help?  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:35 pm
ah, well, it's very simple realy. the religions of Shinto, Hinduism (which is realy more of an umbrella term), Buddhism and Taoism are not so strict as to deny someone from believing in combonations of eachother. in fact, in Japan alot of people may associate more as Shinto or as Buddhist while blending the two nearly seemlessly. they also may add Christian ceremonies to some of their important activities.

think of it this way. some of the Buddhists may feel that the Kami or perhaps the Hindu gods are just the Buddhas of ancestors who have passed on. while some of the Shintoists might believe that Buddhas and Hindu gods are Kami. some Hindus might believe that the Buddhas and Kami are different interpratations of their gods, but for the most part Hinduism believes in the idea that the Divine take forms subjective to their individual worshippers. the idea of Hinduism is that everyone has their own view of God and the gods.

it is actually a very common practice in the Orient and India to treat the different religions as different interpretations of the same thing: Divinity.  

Chieftain Twilight

Loyal Rogue

14,550 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Elocutionist 200

Underworld Priestess

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:25 pm
I don't usually hear about Buddhist worshipping about deities other than Buddha. I certainly don't consider Hinduism an umbrella term since it is a religion, culture and tradition within itself.
But for a reasonable explanation to your question. Buddha was one of the avatars or earthly incarnations of the Hindu god Vishnu. I don't quite understand why they are calling him the Buddhist Vishnu since Vishnu is a Hindu god, but I do understand the connection.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:25 am
shadowflameguardian
I don't usually hear about Buddhist worshipping about deities other than Buddha. I certainly don't consider Hinduism an umbrella term since it is a religion, culture and tradition within itself.
But for a reasonable explanation to your question. Buddha was one of the avatars or earthly incarnations of the Hindu god Vishnu. I don't quite understand why they are calling him the Buddhist Vishnu since Vishnu is a Hindu god, but I do understand the connection.

hinduism is an Ethnic Religon, morely though their is a sense of growing universal-reiligious propoganda  

Silouz Imperial

3,550 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Autobiographer 200

Rustig

4,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Entrepreneur 150
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:42 am
Here is a little something that might help.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:19 pm
mom stepdad is a Hindu Indian. there are various Hindi religions. the oldest one believes that Krishna is the Lord, and Brahma is the reincarnation. the believers of Brahma and Sita believe that Krishna is the reincarnation of Brahma. it's kind of funny. xd  

Chieftain Twilight

Loyal Rogue

14,550 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Elocutionist 200

Underworld Priestess

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:35 pm
Chieftain Twilight
mom stepdad is a Hindu Indian. there are various Hindi religions. the oldest one believes that Krishna is the Lord, and Brahma is the reincarnation. the believers of Brahma and Sita believe that Krishna is the reincarnation of Brahma. it's kind of funny. xd

That is a new one to me.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:04 pm
shadowflameguardian
Chieftain Twilight

That is a new one to me.

all in all, Hinduism is very collaborated, because they all fit into the same clump of deities believed in, but each individual worshipper worships differently, and there re multiple different Hindu traditions. the HariKrishnas are one of the oldest religions in existance today, and the BrahmaSitas are considerably newer than them.  

Chieftain Twilight

Loyal Rogue

14,550 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Elocutionist 200

Chieftain Twilight

Loyal Rogue

14,550 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:13 pm
shadowflameguardian
Chieftain Twilight

That is a new one to me.

woah... my stepdad* not mom stepdad* xd sorry for the typo.  
The Café (General Chat)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games