Welcome to Gaia! ::

RP for Fantasy, Love, and Action

Back to Guilds

A fun place to role-play with Gaians of all ages and skill levels in a variety of genres 

Tags: Roleplaying, RPing, Fantasy, Romance, Action 

Reply U/C
What aspects are considered good in roleplay threads /guilds

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Furzball

Dapper Lunatic

9,400 Points
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Entrepreneur 150
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:33 pm
What would you consider to be good aspects in roleplay threads/guilds? What would keep you coming back to contribute to the story? Do you want alot of material (Dungeon/Dragons Amount) or do you want less? Do you like Stories based on something (Ex. Final Fantasy roleplays, Harry Potter, etc.) or Original storylines without much outside influence? If you have more then just these points please contribute.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:23 pm
To get me to firstly read the setting for a roleplay it usually requires grammar and propper spelling, and in some kind of readable colour and font size. While I realise some people aren't that good at spelling, they do have plenty of time to spell check, and as I recall, there is a spellchecker in many browsers by default on windows, and even the mainstream minority operating systems, so no excuses really wash with me.

I tend to be put off by a large profiling system, or one that requires images from anime, since I tend not to have those kind of images on hand, especially when I play characters that vary a great deal from characters I've seen in anime.

I don't really like to see ideas repeated, so I guess I prefer roleplay that is based on an original idea, but only because so many settings seem to be done to death. The setting I think needs to be different and thoughtful, but at the same time not go on for pages and pages in a tiny unreadable font, which I tend to give up on out of boredom.

So I think the setting needs to be perky and new, thought out, but without detail upon detail stacked up relentlessy. Philosophy I think would be a good idea, it doesn't have to be too deep or monumental, food for thought; grabbing, without being excessively mysterious, like I've seen several roleplays try, only for me to get bored because I think they're trying to deliberately be mysterious without any significant meaning or truth behind them.

I don't really do romance well, and I need freedom to experiment. Roleplays that impose too much restriction, like a list of characters to choose from, or someone with an okay idea but for the purpose of romance put me off.

Players are also fairly critical too, if you've attracted power-players like moths to a lightbulb then I'll take care to steer far clear. I always run through the people who've already signed up before I even consider joining a roleplay, vampire roleplays are the worst for this step. Although, if I see a player I think is really interesting, I will be tempted to join a roleplay that has a poor setting.

What's more, I'll glance at the quality of roleplay, if people are writing one-liners, I wont join unless I'm already extremely inspired, which is never. But also, if people are writing small novels on each post in tiny text, I'll also pass, on the basis that they're writing far more than I actually care about, and enjoying a roleplay where other people do the same. I don't have a problem with it, I just find it time consuming and prone to writers block.

There are more things, but those are some basics. It's a very complicated subject to pick apart logically like this.  

Rapidity

U/C

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff