Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Occult Research Society

Back to Guilds

A guild devoted to the study of the occult, in all its forms. 

Tags: Magick, Psionics, Supernatural, Paranormal, Occult 

Reply The Grimoire (Techniques, Rituals and Methods)
Deconstructing Magical Objects

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

How do you travel?
Car/Truck
16%
 16%  [ 1 ]
Bus
16%
 16%  [ 1 ]
Plane
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Train
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Screw Volcanos
66%
 66%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 6

Oborosen

5,000 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Autobiographer 200
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:55 pm
This question has been continually asked of me for a few days now. So the information keeps circling my mind.

Besides I'm quit indisposed of at the moment and Iv got a laptop along with good wireless connection, so why not abuse it a bit.

For those of you out there who are like me and manage to come across or better yet come into possession of (items) with magical properties.
Be it a old ritual goblet, a scryeing stone, specialty tools, weapons tho rare and hard to come by now a days.
And I kid you not, objects like runed horse shoes.

First I must state that this is to not be used as a full guide and it will outline some basic but very needed guidelines.
So now we begin.
To start with, identify what material the object is made of. There is a great difference between, items of metallic and wooden (chotic) items. More modern items of synthetic materials will not be covered.

Iron: Iron, if pure has a very poor Aether concentration. This metal has low magical properties, and in my opinion is the easiest metal to deal with.

Brass/Copper: These two are very similar. While easy to forge and moderately processable, they can cause some problems for unprepared scribes.

Lead:Very many mixed results with lead for anyone with a history with magic. At the least, magics to not take and eventually fade. But at worst, there can be very adverse reactions that are too varied to list.

Steel:In its purest state, this metal can be your best friend when forging with magic or inscribing runes of multiple sources. Deconstruction can be a headache because it takes time and preparation.

Preparation(I will explain the method that will work on all of the before mentioned)
The area you work in will be have to be cleansed, in any case this is my habit with any form of magic I work. You then need a way to break down the metal. A smelter or forge will work, I myself use a self made forge. I use a re-purposed furnace and 30$ of bricks.
Refined salt, Hemlock, and powder quartz will be needed. (Warning) while all the materials have spell neutralizing traits, Hemlock itself is very dangerous as its a powerful poison. The first must be ground together. Morters work fine but wear gloves to keep fibers from off your skin.

(As an example I will use a bronze shasta (short sword) but it works with higher end metals as well.
First lay out a line of the ground powder on a length of oak. Smooth and flat if you have took the time to sand it out. Heat the sword up till red (not white) hot. Using tongs lay the sword on top of the powder parallel with the length of the weapon. Then return it to the forge and heat it in the flames till the powder is burned away
Usually apparent with a black crust that forms on the blade. Tho not always the case this does happen. After ten minutes of application the powder should begin to burn off slower. When this happens it is time to begin reforging the blade, if need be. Otherwise, it is now safe to smelt the weapon down fully destroying it.

That should do it for metals, I will post again concerning carved objects later in the week.

Now if only my flight will get to leave.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:00 pm
While writing the above information, 9 people asked me what I was writing, 5 babies cried, 12 officers checked my passport.

And the guy across from me had to take a head brake about 5 times. Guesstimating  

Oborosen

5,000 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Autobiographer 200

Satrevi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:26 am
That is quite interesting. I am interested to see the wood carving bit.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:13 pm
I have found with the various metals (minus lead lead is a pain in the a**) that while it might be difficult to work with if you Can make it work then they are probably the worst to try to decunstruct through regular means. One of the reasons why I like using metals so much, it makes it much more difficult for other people to tamper with my work.

Iron Brass Coper and Steel and any metal composite (gold and silver easiest to work with, silver is all right at keeping a spell but gold kind of sucks)

If you can get it into the objects core and don't just do a surface spell... I mean it would take alot of work getting them out of their. I haven't had anyone smelter my spells to death though. This raises some implications but then mostly I deal with spirits trying to alter and destroy my work not people.

Also sometimes destroying the physical object doesn't remove the spell. You first have to cut out the spells contact with the world. Bind the spell to the sword fully then destroy the sword. Binding the spell is important if your destroying a physical object.

Making sure that the forge also has proper Containment properties would be good.  

Ishtar Shakti

Oborosen

5,000 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Autobiographer 200
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:37 pm
Ishtar Shakti
I have found with the various metals (minus lead lead is a pain in the a**) that while it might be difficult to work with if you Can make it work then they are probably the worst to try to decunstruct through regular means. One of the reasons why I like using metals so much, it makes it much more difficult for other people to tamper with my work.

Iron Brass Coper and Steel and any metal composite (gold and silver easiest to work with, silver is all right at keeping a spell but gold kind of sucks)

If you can get it into the objects core and don't just do a surface spell... I mean it would take alot of work getting them out of their. I haven't had anyone smelter my spells to death though. This raises some implications but then mostly I deal with spirits trying to alter and destroy my work not people.

Also sometimes destroying the physical object doesn't remove the spell. You first have to cut out the spells contact with the world. Bind the spell to the sword fully then destroy the sword. Binding the spell is important if your destroying a physical object.

Making sure that the forge also has proper Containment properties would be good.

Yes, you are right.
The meeting pot on my forge has laced runes that I had inscribed from an old Druidic friend of mine. Known her for about six years now, and her work is very solid compared to most I know.
Besides that and the binding circle I use. Mostly everything else on my forge I made myself.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:01 pm
Oborosen
Ishtar Shakti

Yes, you are right.
The meeting pot on my forge has laced runes that I had inscribed from an old Druidic friend of mine. Known her for about six years now, and her work is very solid compared to most I know.
Besides that and the binding circle I use. Mostly everything else on my forge I made myself.

Nice I wish I had that time and dedication. I've only made a few objects from metal. I personally think I'd be happiest if I could also be their during the process of purifying the metal.

If you could post pictures if its not to sensitive that would be neat to see.  

Ishtar Shakti

Oborosen

5,000 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Autobiographer 200
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:01 am
Posting, pics wouldn't be a problem if the site would except my link information.
I'll just have to put stuff on my Deviant Art page and let you guys see it there.

However I cant show pictures of some of my materials, but I do have some unfinished blades and pommels I can post. That and one of my prized items.

A ceremonial goblet that my temple used before the turn of the century and my charnel mask from the druid gathering I went too when I was In England. As well as much as a Bluestone amulet I acquired there also.

Just give me time to make them post-able and I can make it work.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:48 pm
I will be patient... I don't really have much time to do other stuff anyways so wouldn't be able to give it the proper attention right now  

Ishtar Shakti

Oborosen

5,000 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Autobiographer 200
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 12:08 am
Ishtar Shakti
I will be patient... I don't really have much time to do other stuff anyways so wouldn't be able to give it the proper attention right now

This is harder then I thought it would be.
But the upside to deconstructing my site is that I found some cracked bricks, so I can get some repairs done at least  
The Grimoire (Techniques, Rituals and Methods)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games