Welcome to Gaia! ::

Shadows of the Mists College

Back to Guilds

RP guild where you can be any creature. Must be active!!!!!!!! 

Tags: role playing, creatures 

Reply Shadows of the Mists College
CONTEST!!!!!!! NOW OPEN!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do you like puzzles?
  Yes.
  No.
  There ok
  Kinda.
  Depends.
  Absulotely not!
  I love them!
View Results

Dark Roaming Soul
Captain

7,200 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Nerd 50
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 8:04 pm
Hello, there everyone! How are you today? So, since the guild is somewhat dead myself and Haibane Hanabi have come up with two contests. The first one will be held by me and the second by her. I am not sure when the contest will be over but I will post the date soon.

This contest is a riddle contest! For each riddle you answer correctly you will get a certain amount of gold. All gold earned at the end of the contest will be sent to you via trade.

HINTS
Hints will not be given out on the contest page. If you would like a hint to a puzzle please pm me. I will only give you one hint per puzzle out of a choice of three hints.

RULES
1.NO CHEATING! As in no asking other members what the answers are or looking them up. They are all solvable, you just have to THINK! Yes, I said think.
2. Answers will be sent to me by PM. If I see an answer posted anywhere then the post will be deleted.
3. Follow the ToS and guild rules
4. No bumping the thread. Its a sticky.
5. You may chat but not about the answers and also I believe Haibane's contest will involve posting in the thread, but make sure with her first.
6.You may send me the answer to each puzzle five times. After that you may not send any more answers to that particular puzzle to me.

PUZZLES
Puzzle 1 Imagine a digital clock. (12 hour time) How many times will the clock display three or more of the same number in a row during one day? Worth 100 gold.

Puzzle 2 Alfred and Roland have beed hired by a farm to sow flower seeds. They have been assigned a 10 acre plot of land and split it evenly so they can work by themselves. Roland starts in the east and Alfred in the west.
Alfred can plow at the rate of 20 minutes per acre. Roland takes 40 minutes to plow, but sows seeds three times as fast as Alfred does.
If sowing the plot pays $100 how much of it does Roland get? Worth 40 gold.

Puzzle 3 The first letter of the alphabet is A, and the letter B comes after A. The letter you need to worry about is the last one. What the last letter of the alphabet? Its not z.
Worth 60 gold.

Puzzle 4 Fifteen people are trapped aboard a ship thats going to sink in exactly 20 minutes. Their only chance for life is the five person life raft they have. To make it worse the waters around the ship are filled with man-eating sharks, so no swimming. A round trip to the nearest island takes nine minutes on the raft. How many people will live to see dry land?
Worth 60 gold.

Puzle 5 Ten candles stand burning in a dining room. A strond breeze blows in through a open window and extinguishes two of them. Checking back later you see one more candle has gone out. To make sure no more candles go out you close the window. Assuming no more candles go out how many do you have left in the end?
Worth 20 gold.

Puzzle 6 A man has been prescribed 10 pills. Starting today he must take one pill a day, but the concentration of the medicine is different in each pill he must take them in a specific order. The pills all look the same, so the man decided to write numbers on each pill to help him remember the order he takes them. How many pills does he have to number if he wants to keep track of the order?
Worth 60 gold.

Puzzle 7 A glass jar holds one germ. After a minute the germ splits in two. One minute after that the two germs spilt again into four germs. At this rate a single germ can multiply to fill the whole jar in one hour. How long in minutes would it take to fill the jar if you had started with two germs?
Worth 40 gold.

Puzzle 8 Five suspects are called into the police for questioning. They give the following statements:
A: "One of the five of us is lying."
B: "Two of the five of us are lying."
C: "I know these guys, and three of the five of us are lying."
D: "Don't listen to a word they say. Out of the five of us, four are lying."
E: "All five of us are dirty rotten liars!"
The police only want to realese the suspects who are telling the truth. How many people should they let go?
Worth 40 gold.

Puzzle 9
The distance three racehorses can run around the ractrack is listed below.
Horse A: Two laps
Horse B: Three laps
Horse C: Four laps
The horses line up at the starting line and start running in the same direction. How many minutes will pass before the horses line up at the starting line again?
Worth 60 gold.

Puzzle 10
You have ten jars to filled with 50 pieces of candy each. You then pur the candy into small bags and attempt to get half a jar in each bag. Now you have 20 bags of candy. What precentage likelihood that are an average of 25 pieces of candy in a single sack?
Worth 60 gold.

Puzzle 11
You only have one match left. You want to light the room with an oil lamp, start a fire to warm the room and heat your bathwater. In oder to complete all the actions above, which do you light first?
Worth 40 gold.

Puzzle 12
The type of mice that we have hear is a kind that reproduces once a month, birthing 12 babies. Baby mice can mature and reproduce 2 months after they were born. You picked up one of these at the pet store and brought it home a day after it was born. In 10 months from now how many mice will you have?
Worth 60 gold.

Puzzle 13
A boy and his sister are sitting at the kitchen table talking.
"You know, Sis, that if I took off two years off my age and gave them to you, you'd be twice my age!"
"Well, why don't you give me one more on top of that then I'll be three times your age!"
So how old is each sibling?
Worth 80 gold.

Puzzle 14
A father and son are talking when the son asks: "Dad, I'm 22 now, but just how old are you?"
The father replies,"You wanna now how old I am, eh? Hmm, well, I'll tell you what. I'm as old as your age, plus half of mine."
How old is the father?
Worth 60 gold.

Puzzle 15
Three identical looking umbrellas are sitting upright in a stand. Assuming the owners don't check the labels, what precentage chance is there that only 2 people will walk away with their umbrella?
Worth 40 gold.

So that's all the puzzles for now, so start solving them!!!  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:50 pm
Reserved.  

Dark Roaming Soul
Captain

7,200 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Nerd 50

Dark Roaming Soul
Captain

7,200 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Nerd 50
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:54 pm
Reserved.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:58 pm
Contest now open! You may begin solving and chatting and posting!!!!!  

Dark Roaming Soul
Captain

7,200 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Nerd 50

Dark Roaming Soul
Captain

7,200 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Nerd 50
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:54 pm
sigh824
puzzle 3 is_! puzzle 8 is _!

Ok. Those are not correct and will you please send me the puzzle answers? Feel free to chat about anything. And please follow the rules. I do not want to have to be mean and no fun about this contest.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:29 pm
Come on! These aren't that hard, but if no one is even going to bother trying to sove them I might as well give you guys super hard puzzles!!! twisted burning_eyes  

Dark Roaming Soul
Captain

7,200 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Nerd 50
Shadows of the Mists College

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items