Nostalgia thread. Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

[Kegan]

Nimble Cultist

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 5:52 pm
Nostalgia is a trap. Kinda like drugs and MMOs, but there's something universally charming about nostalgia, due to it's personal nature... So it's not universal at all... Or is it?

I would like to do a casual survey here in the cult about things we associate with a feeling of nostalgia.

Post a little bit in white about what mental imagery you associate with feelings of nostalgia. Colors, maybe aesthetic themes, and lens filters.

Any mental imagery you associate with nostalgia.... Maybe even music, but I'm not really interested in collecting that information.

I'm not sure if I can ask you to specify which age group you fit into on gaia. I think that's against the rules, but I totally won't stop you from saying if you fit in the groups of "13-16," "17-20," or "21+" If I was, it'd be totally up to you as to whether you felt up to answering that question.... but I'm not asking it.

Try not to edit your post after reading what other people have said, and if you must, note it separately, and as an edit.

Remember to put it in white, and not to read anything after this post until you have written your own.

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 5:53 pm
Kegan:[age 17-20(19, durrrr)]
I associate feelings of nostalgia with fantastic settings and adventure. Movies like The Goonies and Neverending Story... Magically altered landscapes with floating earth and s**t like angel island from sonic 3 and the dark void at the end of The Neverending Story, with the castle.

I think of adventure in a more fantastic earth, I guess.

Color wise, I think of things as though they were in a warm gold tinted filter. I think that light has lost some of it's warmth as I've gotten older, or maybe things just get less blury and "bloom-y" when I'm closer to the present.

My memory goes back for an unusual time.

Nothing quite like fire lit evenings. Somewhere away from the cold night. This also inspires nostalgia.

God, I just tried to write a lit... but It's all of these very vague concepts that I can't really break down into their elements! There's more, but I don't think any of it is worth noting.

[Kegan]

Nimble Cultist

The Awkwardest Turtle

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 5:54 pm
I don't really get nostalgic much, but damn that National Park music in SS made me nostalgic. Probably because the music there is so awesome and I used to play the s**t out of Silver back in the day but I haven't really touched it in years.

EDIT: Oh, and I'm somewhere between the ages of 16 and 19.

EDIT 2: Oh, and I listened to "What Kind of Pokemon Are You?" the other day and that was pretty nostalgic too.

I really liked Pokemon when I was little.

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 6:29 pm
Any Pokemon movie. Even if they're new, I'm reminded of the first movie, where I received my Ancient Mew card.  

Bass Beatdown

7,850 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0

Skaeryll

Dangerous Spotter

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 6:35 pm
Nostalgia.  
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 6:52 pm
The smell of ashes makes me remember when I used to watch my uncles smoke and play dominoes... And it makes me want to light more fires to smell ashes.  

otawara

problematic briefcase

O.G. Sex Symbol

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 7:40 pm
I nostalgia hard when I see images from past things. Mostly T.V shows or video games. Never music though, since I pretty much listen to what I used to, now.

Stuff like the Donkey Kong Show's theme song. Although for music, the Pokerap did it. I just can't help but remember what it was like when I was eight or nine. s**t was so fun back then. Now everything is different, I'm an adult. I don't seem to have the same amount of fun.
My imagination is just as active, but never about the same stuff, and always more realistic.

I just like remembering being in that same pattern of thought. I miss that.

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 6:58 am
Nostalgia? For me the most nostalgic thing I can thing of is Disney Pixar movies. Toy Story in particular. I must have watched that movie about 100 times or more. For some reason seeing old video game art also makes me quite nostalgic. Random, but true.

Super Cheesio

Vaettur

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 11:14 am
I get nostalgic quite often. When i was still in junior high, me and a few classmates always reenacted everything; movies, tv series but especially games that were the s**t back then. Mortal Kombat, Final Fantasy, Dragonball Z, Breath of Fire... Everytime i walk past some places were we did those things, good memories come up.
We also played so much on our SNES' and N64's together, playing multiplayer games for hours and hours, so much fun.... Even now i just grab an old game i used to play back then just to bring back some of the great times i had with it.
Sometimes i kind of wish back for those times, just because life was so simple back then, without having to worry about anything.

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 2:06 pm
Vaettur
When i was still in junior high, me and a few classmates always reenacted everything; movies, tv series but especially games that were the s**t back then. Mortal Kombat, Final Fantasy, Dragonball Z, Breath of Fire...
Man, I get made fun of these days 'cause me and a couple of my friends did that sorta thing in Junior school.  

Super Cheesio

[Kegan]

Nimble Cultist

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 2:11 pm
Roleplaying was my favorite thing to do during recess in elementary school.  
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 2:13 pm
[Kegan]
Roleplaying was my favorite thing to do during recess in elementary school.
Yeah, fun times. Sonic and Doctor Who were favorites of ours.

Oh here we go, strong nostalgia is kicking in.  

Super Cheesio

Orphie

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 6:55 pm

All I associate with nostalgia is a feeling of happiness and excitement, mixed with longing. I don't really have any mental images that come to mind, really. But if I'm remembering a specific event, it's usually pretty colorful.

The strongest feelings of nostalgia that I have are generally triggered by smells, like the smell of the forest, or rain, or a smell that reminds me of someone else. Though, some of that can be considered a memory.

I feel like I completely missed the point of this. :/

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 7:27 pm
Nostalgia for me is usually playing a game like the original Super Mario from the NES, it makes me think of how I played it when I was little and now. I can't really say anything about colors giving me those feelings. Also when I watch movies like Aladdin, Short circuit, or even just looking at my Pokemon cards it makes me think of my friends and the fun times we've had watching movies and playing games/cards together.

SylFariun

Distinct Phantom

8,500 Points
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0

[Kegan]

Nimble Cultist

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 9:07 pm
Orphie

All I associate with nostalgia is a feeling of happiness and excitement, mixed with longing. I don't really have any mental images that come to mind, really. But if I'm remembering a specific event, it's usually pretty colorful.

The strongest feelings of nostalgia that I have are generally triggered by smells, like the smell of the forest, or rain, or a smell that reminds me of someone else. Though, some of that can be considered a memory.

I feel like I completely missed the point of this. :/

Actually, you're pretty on cue.

I guess what I'm learning is that these things are really deeply personal.

Also, Cheesio: We liked to do whatever video games and s**t and our own original characters... I figured myself something of the leader of these games, because my imagination was the most wild.  
Social Room

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff