Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Occult Research Society

Back to Guilds

A guild devoted to the study of the occult, in all its forms. 

Tags: Magick, Psionics, Supernatural, Paranormal, Occult 

Reply The Occult Research Society
Should magic be simplified? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Oborosen

5,000 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Autobiographer 200
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 6:30 pm
This is a serious question as it comes to my attention that there are several sites out there that wish this same thing.

My question should be as simple as this, and I'm gonna try to word it as best I can.

Magic is based on the use and manipulation of universal energies that span realms too numerous to name and count. So it also implies that the creation and exacting of the spells that use these energies, would be in themselves difficult to manipulate as well.

Does anyone think if at all, that it is possible to do such things as simplify magic as destructive as chaoticism. Or even sanguamancy.

I have posted this on several other sites, and I eagerly await your answers.  
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 8:41 pm
I don't really know what you're asking; none of the things you've said seem to add up into a coherent whole. How would one "simplify" magick, and in what respect?  

Rustig

4,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Entrepreneur 150

p33p33s

Kitten

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 10:45 pm
I don't think magic should be simplified in any way shape or form  
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 11:24 pm
? Ok, no real answer for this. Lost interest already.  

Satrevi

T e t r a g r a m

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 8:13 am
Satrevi

If you lose interest within a few measly hours, you have no place in magic. "Magic is for lions."

That said, magic is an ancient art which hold the highest respect to those who aspire towards the path. What this thread speaks about is nothing more than mere sorcery. Therefore, hasn't magic been butchered enough?  
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 9:01 am
Magic is as simple as it's going to get. While the energy takes many forms (from orderly to chaotic) and spreads across many dimensions it is nonetheless the same at its core from all perspectives. With this considered, the idea of "simplifying" magic is ridiculous: magic is the manipulation of this energy. If you think whatever others and yourself are doing isn't simple enough then you should simply find the roots of whatever your doing instead of considering the whole only by the pieces you can see.  

Ghisteslwchlohm

p33p33s

Kitten

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 9:39 am
T e t r a g r a m
Satrevi

If you lose interest within a few measly hours, you have no place in magic. "Magic is for lions."

That said, magic is an ancient art which hold the highest respect to those who aspire towards the path. What this thread speaks about is nothing more than mere sorcery. Therefore, hasn't magic been butchered enough?

I second that.  
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 5:14 pm
L i v i e l l e
T e t r a g r a m
Satrevi

I second that.
And I assume some stranger on the internet has right to determine whether I have a place in magic or not? I never said anything about what I practiced. Just stated a disinterest but acknowledged reading the thread. Called, active posting.

Only reason I came back was to see if anyone's posts interested me. So far, not really. But, in a day or two. Maybe. It's what I do. I lurk and post actively but am always on the lookout for interesting viewpoints.  

Satrevi

Necromandy

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 9:01 pm
Oborosen
This is a serious question as it comes to my attention that there are several sites out there that wish this same thing.

My question should be as simple as this, and I'm gonna try to word it as best I can.

Magic is based on the use and manipulation of universal energies that span realms too numerous to name and count. So it also implies that the creation and exacting of the spells that use these energies, would be in themselves difficult to manipulate as well.

Does anyone think if at all, that it is possible to do such things as simplify magic as destructive as chaoticism. Or even sanguamancy.

I have posted this on several other sites, and I eagerly await your answers.

whether or not magic can be simplified depends on your interpretaion of what magic is. By the interpretation you posted, no, not really. It can't be simplified because there is a set process you have to go through to get the desired results.

If magic is, however, the manipulation of the subconscious mind to achieve desired results, then sure, it can be simplified. Allt he fluff of ritual and magic would be simply to set the "mood" for making magic happen.

I really don't know which i subscribe to... So i'll answer this thread with a solid Maybe.

Edit: Never mind. completely misread your post.

If you mean separating magic into separate "schools" (a-la D&D), then sure, I'm sure different types of Magic COULD theoretically be classified in such a way. Should it? I am not sure. Magic is an extremely varied art. Classifying it would just lead to way too many separate classifications of magic which may not necessarily be a good thing.  
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 12:00 am
I think magic is simplified enough. It would have to depend on the specific case by case basis. Some things would call for details. Others can be easily improvised and be just as effective.

Besides, if you do it right. All you really need sometimes is meditation and intent.

Magic is simple or complex and a wonderful magical mingling between the two turning into that which forms the universal magical energy since we all pull from the same source, we just use it with different rules attached.

And, if people disagree with me or want to debate me on this. I don't care. That's my opinion now that I have thought about what to say. Probably not going to change. But I will read any replies there may be to determine how interesting they are.  

Satrevi

Oborosen

5,000 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Autobiographer 200
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 10:41 pm
I'm really enjoying many of the responses to this thread. You all seem to be getting the idea to a point.

And I'm not saying your missing anything.
It's just that in my travels I run across a lot of covens, sects, and clans. That study and train the aspects of controlling magic to the point that complex incantations. Can be manipulated with the effects of one of two very complex power words, or signs.

(that stands for runes in general)

Me myself, like the ceremonial aspect of ritual casting. The time and effort such things require, are only a small taste of the many things. That draw me to magic.

Oh, btw .
Greetings From Moscow, everyone.
I made it safe and sound.  
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 7:19 am
Of course they make things more complex. More complexity=more focus=more controlled results, just like with a good lot of other things. Once you already have the ability to use that focus without needing the whole process, you simplify to what is necessary for you to still achieve the sought results. If your question was about that, then I apologize for the misinterpretation and uneccesary post.  

Ghisteslwchlohm

Necromandy

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 12:18 am
Ghisteslwchlohm
Of course they make things more complex. More complexity=more focus=more controlled results, just like with a good lot of other things. Once you already have the ability to use that focus without needing the whole process, you simplify to what is necessary for you to still achieve the sought results. If your question was about that, then I apologize for the misinterpretation and uneccesary post.

This makes the most sense to me.  
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 2:45 pm
The whole point of ritual and ceremony, complex incantations and sigils, is:

-To gather the attention of whatever you wanted to get the attention of
-To induce an atmosphere that will help you direct your intent more efficiently.

That being said, if it takes you an hour long ritual, luxurious incenses, taper candles, and complex invocations to get the attention of a deity, and to get you in that right mindset, awesome.

However, if you stumble upon a being and it takes you two seconds to get into that mindset, that is also just as appropriate.

Magic isn't about procedure, it's about results. If you get the same results off burning a green candle and visualizing prosperity as someone else did from summoning various spirits of fortune into a complex circle, more power to you.  

Simim

5,750 Points
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Oborosen

5,000 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Autobiographer 200
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 1:44 am
Simim
The whole point of ritual and ceremony, complex incantations and sigils, is:

-To gather the attention of whatever you wanted to get the attention of
-To induce an atmosphere that will help you direct your intent more efficiently.

That being said, if it takes you an hour long ritual, luxurious incenses, taper candles, and complex invocations to get the attention of a deity, and to get you in that right mindset, awesome.

However, if you stumble upon a being and it takes you two seconds to get into that mindset, that is also just as appropriate.

Magic isn't about procedure, it's about results. If you get the same results off burning a green candle and visualizing prosperity as someone else did from summoning various spirits of fortune into a complex circle, more power to you.

Yes, I understand where your coming from when you say magic is about the results.
But within the last few years I have seen what cutting corners with spell casting can do. Two of my beast friends have paid much for it and I myself almost lost the use of my hands.

What I speak of is following the original rules set for our protection. Not trying to undermine them.  
The Occult Research Society

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff