Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Draw muhammad day Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

chemos32o8

4,000 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 5:07 pm
In-case no one's aware that on the 20th of May, Thunderf00t has asks people to draw muhammad as a protest against censorship. To learn more visit http://www.youtube.com/user/Thunderf00t  
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 5:51 pm
I'm gonna draw the ******** out of muhammed.  

B1g_crunch

Questionable Loiterer

8,800 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Flatterer 200

[-Erik-]

Durem Citizen

7,700 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Generous 100
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 8:07 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

YESSIR.  
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 8:21 pm
lol really? How would he have looked like? *steals Erik's Muhammed* :3  

Doredia

Beloved Gekko

brainnsoup

Dapper Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 12:51 pm
Is this guy for real?
I'm all about free speech, and even though I think it's tasteless to draw Muhammad just to be offensive, I'm not a Muslim and couldn't care less how you choose to portray him.
But this guy needs to find a tall building and jump from it. >_<
He obviously knows nothing about Islam and is using the actions of extremists as justification to spread as much hate as possible.

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 4:29 pm
brainnsoup
Is this guy for real?
I'm all about free speech, and even though I think it's tasteless to draw Muhammad just to be offensive, I'm not a Muslim and couldn't care less how you choose to portray him.
He obviously knows nothing about Islam and is using the actions of extremists as justification to spread as much hate as possible.

Is there something you do know about islam? Would you please let us know why we shouldn't unite against the extremist? or do you feel we should back down and let them have their way and let our freedom of speech be compromised by fear?  

chemos32o8

4,000 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100

Captain_Shinzo

6,250 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 4:32 pm
I never respected faith before and don't need to till this day. Anything illogical in an extreme fashion doesn't fix with me.  
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 5:19 pm
chemos32o8
brainnsoup
Is this guy for real?

Is there something you do know about islam? Would you please let us know why we shouldn't unite against the extremist? or do you feel we should back down and let them have their way and let our freedom of speech be compromised by fear?
Yes. Murder is a huge sin in Islam. Obviously anyone with a sign saying anything like "Butcher those who insult Islam!" isn't a good Muslim. The people in this video are obviously twisted extremists. So it was both lazy and stupid of him to pretend that they in any way represent Islam.
But please explain to me how drawing Muhammad has anything to do with uniting against extremists though. Or even how it accomplishes anything other than offending a few Muslims who get involved. Not backing down to threats is one thing. Intentionally antagonizing any Muslim you can is a different thing entirely.

brainnsoup

Dapper Shapeshifter

Captain_Shinzo

6,250 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 6:02 pm
brainnsoup
chemos32o8
brainnsoup
Is this guy for real?

Yes. Murder is a huge sin in Islam. Obviously anyone with a sign saying anything like "Butcher those who insult Islam!" isn't a good Muslim. The people in this video are obviously twisted extremists. So it was both lazy and stupid of him to pretend that they in any way represent Islam.
But please explain to me how drawing Muhammad has anything to do with uniting against extremists though. Or even how it accomplishes anything other than offending a few Muslims who get involved. Not backing down to threats is one thing. Intentionally antagonizing any Muslim you can is a different thing entirely.

It's a sense of symbolism, like the Go Green moment on Youtube.
People changed their accounts to green when people in Iraq fought for democracy and people on Youtube went to show they weren't alone.
Same thing happens here, people shouldn't be stopped and threatened just because of another's ideas. It isn't attacking Islam entirely, but the sense of the majority of people who follow it, which would be the many extremists.

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 7:44 pm
Captain_Shinzo
brainnsoup
chemos32o8
brainnsoup
Is this guy for real?

People changed their accounts to green when people in Iraq fought for democracy and people on Youtube went to show they weren't alone.
Same thing happens here, people shouldn't be stopped and threatened just because of another's ideas. It isn't attacking Islam entirely, but the sense of the majority of people who follow it, which would be the many extremists.
But it doesn't actually accomplish anything, let alone fight extremism.
I don't really care who wants to participate in "Draw Muhammad Day", but it's idiotic to pretend that participating is doing anything righteous.
If Thunderf00t wants to fight extremism, I'm completely willing to donate money to send him to Pakistan with his tasteful "*****" flag and a switchblade.

Also, it definitely is attacking Islam. Most Muslims agree that it's wrong to portray Muhammad. Does that mean that it should be illegal to do so? No. Does that mean we should refrain from portraying him out of fear? No. Does that mean we should avoid portraying him just to be offensive? If we have an ounce of respect for Muslims, probably, yeah.
Drawing Muhammad doesn't show that we're courageous, just the opposite.
Because honestly, how many of those extremists do you think are going to be checking youtube or facebook or, hell, the GAU on Gaia?
I guess, put yourself in the shoes of a Muslim American and think of how isolated and disrespected you would feel.

brainnsoup

Dapper Shapeshifter

Captain_Shinzo

6,250 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 5:36 pm
brainnsoup
Captain_Shinzo
brainnsoup
chemos32o8
brainnsoup
Is this guy for real?

I don't really care who wants to participate in "Draw Muhammad Day", but it's idiotic to pretend that participating is doing anything righteous.
If Thunderf00t wants to fight extremism, I'm completely willing to donate money to send him to Pakistan with his tasteful "*****" flag and a switchblade.

Also, it definitely is attacking Islam. Most Muslims agree that it's wrong to portray Muhammad. Does that mean that it should be illegal to do so? No. Does that mean we should refrain from portraying him out of fear? No. Does that mean we should avoid portraying him just to be offensive? If we have an ounce of respect for Muslims, probably, yeah.
Because honestly, how many of those extremists do you think are going to be checking youtube or facebook or, hell, the GAU on Gaia?
I guess, put yourself in the shoes of a Muslim American and think of how isolated and disrespected you would feel.

The point is that people shouldn't be limited to do something just because of another's beliefs.
That would be like saying pork would become illegal because of Judaism and Islam. The problem was South Park having to be restricted to what it posted and everyone was made that only Muslims care for famous things portraying Muhammad more than an average joe. It's not the point OF showing of Muhammad, but who and why it pisses people off.

If I was an American Muslim, I wouldn't even think drawing Muhammad was bad in the first place no matter what. It just wouldn't fit. However, EVEN IF I did think that way, I wouldn't have a problem with it because I'M not the one drawing him.

Actually, from the current events that take place and those WHO DO watch Thunderf00t, it does do something. IT proves that because someone does something they don't like, they can't and shouldn't do something to stop them.
In short, the cause to do this is greater than the reason to not draw Muhammad. You would be surprised on how many extremists hang out on the internet and how much the internet effects big corporations.

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 7:27 pm
Captain_Shinzo
brainnsoup
Captain_Shinzo
brainnsoup
chemos32o8
brainnsoup
Is this guy for real?

The point is that people shouldn't be limited to do something just because of another's beliefs.
That would be like saying pork would become illegal because of Judaism and Islam. The problem was South Park having to be restricted to what it posted and everyone was made that only Muslims care for famous things portraying Muhammad more than an average joe. It's not the point OF showing of Muhammad, but who and why it pisses people off.

If I was an American Muslim, I wouldn't even think drawing Muhammad was bad in the first place no matter what. It just wouldn't fit. However, EVEN IF I did think that way, I wouldn't have a problem with it because I'M not the one drawing him.

Actually, from the current events that take place and those WHO DO watch Thunderf00t, it does do something. IT proves that because someone does something they don't like, they can't and shouldn't do something to stop them.
In short, the cause to do this is greater than the reason to not draw Muhammad. You would be surprised on how many extremists hang out on the internet and how much the internet effects big corporations.
If you think that you wouldn't be offended by "Draw Muhammad Day", let alone "*****", if you were Muslim, you don't know much about Islam.
It's not playfully poking fun at Islam. It's bullying Muslims by doing the most offensive thing possible.
I don't care if a few teens get to feel rebellious, it's childish.
I really don't mean to have a "holier than thou" attitude about this, but I really don't understand why people think this is a good thing.
I don't get what's wrong with religious tolerance or basic respect.

Like I said, we shouldn't refrain from portraying Muhammad out of fear.
I don't agree with Muslims who think that everyone else should follow Islam's rules. I support free speech.
But is this really how we should use it? Is this how we want to show people that we can handle that freedom?
Really, how is this any better than people standing on street-corners with "GOD HATES GAYS" or "OBAMA IS A COMMUNIST" signs?
I support their right to free speech too, but it's sad that that's how they use it.

And about South Park, they do what they do to piss people off and get a reaction. No different than Carlos Mencia or, what's her name, Lisa Lampanelli or something like that. Or Sarah Silverman, but she's actually really funny...
It's shock value. For press.
What makes me laugh is that then everyone is surprised when they uncover death threats from some crazy nobody. Really South Park?

brainnsoup

Dapper Shapeshifter

Captain_Shinzo

6,250 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 7:41 pm
brainnsoup
Captain_Shinzo
brainnsoup
Captain_Shinzo
brainnsoup

If you think that you wouldn't be offended by "Draw Muhammad Day", let alone "*****", if you were Muslim, you don't know much about Islam.
It's not playfully poking fun at Islam. It's bullying Muslims by doing the most offensive thing possible.
I really don't mean to have a "holier than thou" attitude about this, but I really don't understand why people think this is a good thing.

I don't agree with Muslims who think that everyone else should follow Islam's rules. I support free speech.
But is this really how we should use it? Is this how we want to show people that we can handle that freedom?
Really, how is this any better than people standing on street-corners with "GOD HATES GAYS" or "OBAMA IS A COMMUNIST" signs?
I support their right to free speech too, but it's sad that that's how they use it.

And about South Park, they do what they do to piss people off and get a reaction. No different than Carlos Mencia or, what's her name, Lisa Lampanelli or something like that. Or Sarah Silverman, but she's actually really funny...
What makes me laugh is that then everyone is surprised when they uncover death threats from some crazy nobody. Really South Park?

Hrm, crazy death threats from nobodies?
As I recall, many Muslim extremists exist on the internet and, usually when your life is threatened, half the time you will be dead. Death threats by Muslims is treated seriously because it is usually serious. I mean, yeah this isn't the first time this has happened and all but those times also were serious. I'm just saying, some people have connections and others don't.
Some are serious, others are not.

Alright then, but the point isn't that Muslims are the intent of being offended. Infact, some Muslims have even joined in. The point is that people shouldn't be silenced because of another's beliefs no matter how much "religious tolerance" someone has. Speaking of religious tolerance, I can't say I will accept it when the majority has. >_>
Quite frankly, religious tolerance is a choice, I should have the freedom to post Muhammad if I want to just as I should if I want to eat pork.

There is no other way to use it. The reason seems bad when blurred but if you shine it abit, it's not so ugly.

South Park does thoughs things to make the ugly simply understandable and hilarious like Kanye West.

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 8:06 pm
Captain_Shinzo
brainnsoup
Captain_Shinzo
brainnsoup
Captain_Shinzo
brainnsoup

As I recall, many Muslim extremists exist on the internet and, usually when your life is threatened, half the time you will be dead. Death threats by Muslims is treated seriously because it is usually serious. I mean, yeah this isn't the first time this has happened and all but those times also were serious. I'm just saying, some people have connections and others don't.

Alright then, but the point isn't that Muslims are the intent of being offended. Infact, some Muslims have even joined in. The point is that people shouldn't be silenced because of another's beliefs no matter how much "religious tolerance" someone has. Speaking of religious tolerance, I can't say I will accept it when the majority has. >_>
Quite frankly, religious tolerance is a choice, I should have the freedom to post Muhammad if I want to just as I should if I want to eat pork.

There is no other way to use it. The reason seems bad when blurred but if you shine it abit, it's not so ugly.

South Park does thoughs things to make the ugly simply understandable and hilarious like Kanye West.
You're telling me that half of the death threats made on the internet result in death. Do you want to rewrite that?
Because I don't know about you, but if I took 10% of the death threats I got on the internet seriously, I wouldn't leave the house.
And, wow, death threats should be treated more seriously if they're made by Muslims? I hope that was a typo too.
And yes, crazy nobodies. Or can you tell me that you'd heard of RevoluntionMuslim.com before the episode? Can you even tell me where in their threat they actually threaten the writers? I mean, where they actually say that they intend to kill them? And it doesn't astound you that this is obviously the most serious threat that South Park could dig up? Or do you really not believe that they were seeking press?

If you don't respect theists, why should they respect you?
I enjoy people respecting my choices.
If there's any religion I have a personal bias against, it's Christianity.
Christianity has done far worse to restrict the rights of others in the US than Islam.
And still, I have yet to start "Burn a Bible" day.

And for the record, I would have thought that Kanye West was a douchebag with or without South Park.

brainnsoup

Dapper Shapeshifter

Captain_Shinzo

6,250 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 8:36 pm
brainnsoup
Captain_Shinzo
brainnsoup
Captain_Shinzo
brainnsoup

You're telling me that half of the death threats made on the internet result in death. Do you want to rewrite that?
Because I don't know about you, but if I took 10% of the death threats I got on the internet seriously, I wouldn't leave the house.
And, wow, death threats should be treated more seriously if they're made by Muslims? I hope that was a typo too.
And yes, crazy nobodies. Or can you tell me that you'd heard of RevoluntionMuslim.com before the episode? Can you even tell me where in their threat they actually threaten the writers? I mean, where they actually say that they intend to kill them? And it doesn't astound you that this is obviously the most serious threat that South Park could dig up? Or do you really not believe that they were seeking press?

If you don't respect theists, why should they respect you?
I enjoy people respecting my choices.
If there's any religion I have a personal bias against, it's Christianity.
Christianity has done far worse to restrict the rights of others in the US than Islam.
And still, I have yet to start "Burn a Bible" day.

And for the record, I would have thought that Kanye West was a douchebag with or without South Park.

No no no no...you misread that...
Half death threats are SERIOUS, or intended. Doesn't mean it always goes through or, even done or done correctly for that matter.

Not exactly what I was saying....more as to the majority of todays wide-ranged death threats are by Muslim extremists. Doesn't mean every death threat is by a Muslim. :S

It is none that in the letter, they proposed their death to be as was a movie writer. In such case, either it is by some person who knows s**t OR could have connections. The fact that the threat related to the fate of another man from before brings suspicions because the murderer was never known exactly, only for the fact that he was a Muslim extremist working in a group of people.

I'm not just going to ASSUME that South Park does things just for the glossy press, I will, however, assume that they are getting stingy and poor at it, however. Fact of the matter is, reasons for why South Park does what it does is not exactly the matter and even if it was, there is no way to know unless we asked them ourselves.

Actually, it is more of if Theists don't respect ME, why should I respect them? Why should MY lifestyle be the concern of another for any reason and why should they bump into my life to try and change it? If this is the case, why should Muslim Extremists bump into the life of South Park to try and change what they want to do?

Point I'm trying to make is, it isn't Islam or Muslims in general we are getting at, but the very idea of a few of them wanting to censor something at their own expense for no reason. I mean, Muhammad wasn't even shown that day.
Buddha snorted coke on the episode for Christs sake that day, but when Muhammad even is mention or spoken of, even speaks himself, people get a fit?

P.S. The episode sparked when a lot of censorship was going around Comedy Central lately so they wanted to try and say
"Hey, we can do a lot more ******** up s**t then what your censoring and it abides to our contract!"
Now, should people draw Muhammad where-ever?
Probably not.
But should they be allowed to?
YES!

The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out