No Name the Walrus

Newbie Werewolf

6,200 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Contributor 150
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 11:18 pm
~Aliit ori'shya tal'din.~

I've recently re-acquired a library card, and like to go about every two weeks to pick out new books. The problem is that I've been reading a lot of manga (kinda in the middle of three different series right now) and not a lot of novels. Long story short, I'm always in need of suggestions for novels.

So, maybe we can all just throw out particular books/authors/series we all love? I'd love to get some new suggestions for books.

~Family is more than blood.~

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 9:28 am
Wicked
Let the Right One In
Battle Royale
Catcher In the Rye
Running With Scissors
A Million Little Pieces
Howl's Moving Castle

biggrin  

Emirrrr

Kay Of Khaos
Crew

Tipsy Genius

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 9:41 am
Good Omens - Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett

I hear it is a wicked funny read, but I haven't gotten around to reading it myself. It is next on my list.

The Meaning of Night - Michael Cox

About a Victorian murderer. I'm in the middle of this and so far is pretty good.

Right now I just have a bunch of books on my self that I've been meaning to read and haven't gotten around to yet. Why is life so busy?? stressed

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 10:48 am

I've read Wicked, and it was a pretty awesome book. I'll have to look into the rest of those.

I'd personally suggest anyone read anything by Orson Scott Card. If you're into sci-fi, I'd suggest the Ender's Game series. If your taste runs more into fantasy, I'd suggest Treasure Box, Enchantment, or Homebody. Empire is also a good one to read, but it tends to be kind of political. smile

No Name the Walrus

Newbie Werewolf

6,200 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Contributor 150

The Romantic Seme

5,450 Points
  • Cart Raider 100
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 5:56 pm
i've been recently reading books by an author by the name of Pete Hautman and Neal Shusterman my favorite by Neal is Unwind! books i have read are downsiders, Invisible, Rash, and also my fave series is Among the Hidden series is a fave series of mine!  
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 9:42 pm
Anything by H.P.Lovecraft if they have any. o;  

Scratch Crow

Madrav

5,600 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 12:26 am
The hitcher guide to the galaxy the ultimate collection by Douglas Adams and his book called Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency and the sequel The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul. Their really good books.  
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 2:06 am
Laurell K. Hamilton is very good if you like long fantasy series. Be warned though, her novels tend to be very...ahem, steamy.  

Arliia

confuzedmuze

3,850 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 8:51 am
Jim Butcher's "Dresden Files" books are awesome, very fun reads.
I agree with previous posts as well, Douglas Adams and Neil Gaiman are both excellent authors.
If you want madcap summer reading, Carl Hiaasen and Christopher Moore are awesome.
Make a list of the things you like about what you've read, i.e. female main character, crime fighting, fantasy, magic, time travel, futuristic, space travel, etc. Then, the next time you're at the library, ask a librarian if they can help you find similar books.
My favorite way to find new books is to read the book that a good film was based on. I have yet to encounter a case where I enjoyed the movie more than the book.
Be brave, read non-fiction! Read a book about a time period that has interested you, or a pop culture phenomenon. There are some fascinating books written about the cultural history of vampirism, for example.
Go ahead, judge a book by it's cover! Browse through the New Book shelves at the library, and pick something that looks intriguing.

(Can you tell that I work in a library?)  
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 10:02 pm
I guess it depends on your taste.

If you're big into Sci-Fi, I highly recommend the Dune series. At some points its a bit dry, but its worth reading.

If fantasy is more your thing, I can't recommend anything else but The Chronicles of Amber. Roger Zelazny has a way with words, and while you might not be able to find his books in a library, $25 is well worth the amount to buy the complete series in one book.

On a more modern note, I recommend "I am the Messenger" by Markus Zusak. Its a good read with relate-able characters.  

Lord of the Vine

Dapper Codger

7,825 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100

Th3 WereWolf
Crew

5,050 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Team Jacob 100
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 10:03 pm
read the historian
or anything by clive cussler, lee child or steve alten  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:36 am
Dion Necurat
I guess it depends on your taste.

If you're big into Sci-Fi, I highly recommend the Dune series. At some points its a bit dry, but its worth reading.

If fantasy is more your thing, I can't recommend anything else but The Chronicles of Amber. Roger Zelazny has a way with words, and while you might not be able to find his books in a library, $25 is well worth the amount to buy the complete series in one book.

On a more modern note, I recommend "I am the Messenger" by Markus Zusak. Its a good read with relate-able characters.

your quote about "I highly recommend the Dune series. At some points its a bit dry, but its worth reading" cause you know its a book with the name that has to do with Deserts and everything and deserts are Dry!! xD just had to point that out  

The Romantic Seme

5,450 Points
  • Cart Raider 100
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Lord General Van Voyts

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:41 pm
Warhammer 40k: Eisenhorn
Warhammer 40k: Ravenor Omnibus
Warhammer 40k: Titanicus
Horus Heresy: Legion
Horus Heresy: Horus Rising
Horus Heresy: Descent of Angels  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:28 am
Just One Slip by Katie Macalister, Jennifer Ashley, and Minda Webber
A Gathering of Spies by John Altman
Kushiel's Dart by Jacqueline Carey  

MightyNingster

Fashionable Raider

4,800 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Member 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

No Name the Walrus

Newbie Werewolf

6,200 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Contributor 150
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:03 pm

I had no idea y'all read so much. So, I've read Hitchiker's Guide, and honestly, it just wasn't my cup of tea. I did read Dune, and highly enjoyed it, though. I'm also in the middle of The Dresden Files (I just finished Summer Knight, have yet to start the next one). The rest of it...I will definitely have to start looking into. YAY! I have more books to try to find! biggrin

And for anyone else wanting suggestions, I also highly recommend Isaac Asimov. Especially his robot stories, of course. A great collection I'm reading right now is Robot Visions. The man definitely has a way with telling stories about 'bots.

<Entertainment & Music>

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces