Reply 'Tendo Cult~
Aw, crap. . . (Wii-Related)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

The_Ky-Guy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:25 pm
About two and a half weeks ago, my Wii stopped working and I had to have it sent in; the system would go to a black screen and never show the health warning every time I turned it on, not even connecting the Wii Remotes. I sent it in and had it repaired by Nintendo.

While it was being sent back, I went on a vacation with my folks to Maine. I'll go into further detail upon request in a different thread, since that isn't video game related.

Anyway, to make a long story short, when we got back, I got my Wii hooked up and read the report. The disc drive had to be replaced, so I lost all game data from the past three and a half years. Now, I didn't bother saving game data on my SD card because:
A.) I couldn't save my Super Smash Bros. Brawl or Mario Kart Wii data on the SD Card, or at least, I didn't think so.
B.) I didn't expect it to fail so suddenly; it was working perfectly fine right before it failed.

And now, I feel like a total dumbass for not doing that, so feel free to say what you please.

Anyway, I'll have to at least play Super Smash Bros. Brawl and Mario Kart Wii, so I can unlock everything in them again, not to mention get friends codes all over again. That is the ultimate reason I made this thread.

That, and to warn you to save as much data as you can on your SD card. . .  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:26 pm
It's too bad you can't back up online games on SD.  

Waynebrizzle

[Kegan]

Nimble Cultist

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:34 pm
Yeah, I wouldn't mind the option to have separate offline and online data, even if it took up more space.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:37 pm
i want wii with upgradeable HDD. not just a sd card slot.  

Xilo The Odd

The_Ky-Guy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:56 pm
Waynebrizzle
It's too bad you can't back up online games on SD.

[Kegan]
Yeah, I wouldn't mind the option to have separate offline and online data, even if it took up more space.

That's what bugs me the most; you could never save data from Super Smash Bros. Brawl or Mario Kart Wii on the SD card, which was the ultimate reason I never bothered saving game data on an SD card in the first place.

Personally, I really think Nintendo should've tried harder in saving my game data.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:36 pm
The_Ky-Guy
About two and a half weeks ago, my Wii stopped working and I had to have it sent in; the system would go to a black screen and never show the health warning every time I turned it on, not even connecting the Wii Remotes. I sent it in and had it repaired by Nintendo.

While it was being sent back, I went on a vacation with my folks to Maine. I'll go into further detail upon request in a different thread, since that isn't video game related.

Anyway, to make a long story short, when we got back, I got my Wii hooked up and read the report. The disc drive had to be replaced, so I lost all game data from the past three and a half years. Now, I didn't bother saving game data on my SD card because:
A.) I couldn't save my Super Smash Bros. Brawl or Mario Kart Wii data on the SD Card, or at least, I didn't think so.
B.) I didn't expect it to fail so suddenly; it was working perfectly fine right before it failed.

And now, I feel like a total dumbass for not doing that, so feel free to say what you please.

Anyway, I'll have to at least play Super Smash Bros. Brawl and Mario Kart Wii, so I can unlock everything in them again, not to mention get friends codes all over again. That is the ultimate reason I made this thread.

I had the same situation happen to me too, it sucks. I still don't back-up my games to an SD card, though. I might if it was an easier process, but I don't plan on going game by game backing everything up. And especially with the amount of games I have, it would take at least five hours each time I would want to back-up.

I do think they try to save your data though, since they asked me if they should try to do so. However, most likely it would be too expensive to recover data from most dead drives, as I've had personal experience with that.  

Master_Glink

The_Ky-Guy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:19 pm
Master_Glink
The_Ky-Guy

I had the same situation happen to me too, it sucks. I still don't back-up my games to an SD card, though. I might if it was an easier process, but I don't plan on going game by game backing everything up. And especially with the amount of games I have, it would take at least five hours each time I would want to back-up.

I do think they try to save your data though, since they asked me if they should try to do so. However, most likely it would be too expensive to recover data from most dead drives, as I've had personal experience with that.

Well, I'm glad I'm not alone on that. I'm still surprised that it suddenly failed on me, though, as I had that thing since launch day and never had a problem like that.

By the way, how expensive would we be talking on something like that?  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:51 pm
The_Ky-Guy
Master_Glink
The_Ky-Guy

Well, I'm glad I'm not alone on that. I'm still surprised that it suddenly failed on me, though, as I had that thing since launch day and never had a problem like that.

The problem is that it isn't a fixed price to recover data from a dead drive, it depends on the difficulty they have when retrieving the information. With these factors the price can range from a few hundred dollars to several thousands.

Even on a best case, it would be much more economic to simply loose the data and replace the drive with a new one. especially since the Wii has such small storage capacity, I can't imagine the disk being worth more than $20-$40.  

Master_Glink

The_Ky-Guy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:10 pm
Master_Glink
The_Ky-Guy
Master_Glink
The_Ky-Guy

The problem is that it isn't a fixed price to recover data from a dead drive, it depends on the difficulty they have when retrieving the information. With these factors the price can range from a few hundred dollars to several thousands.

Even on a best case, it would be much more economic to simply loose the data and replace the drive with a new one. especially since the Wii has such small storage capacity, I can't imagine the disk being worth more than $20-$40.

No fixed price!? Wow, incredible! So, it could cost no less than $100 to do that?

But yeah, I already knew about the Wii's infamously low memory capacity. I sincerely hope Nintendo fixes that up with its next console.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:22 pm
I'm glad that I'm not the only one to get the "Black Screen of Death". I actually cried because of my Animal Crossing, Brawl, and Mario Kart data.  

Apocalyptic Survivor

5,750 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Tycoon 200

The_Ky-Guy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:46 pm
Apocalyptic Survivor
I'm glad that I'm not the only one to get the "Black Screen of Death". I actually cried because of my Animal Crossing, Brawl, and Mario Kart data.

Well, I was pissed off, too. Nintendo needs to work on their disk drives to make them last longer than three and a half years.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:39 am
What's FAR worse then not being able to save memery for some games, is that ya lose ALL downloaded games if the Wii is replaced. Even if ya do save them to a memery card. You can only return them to the Wii it was originally downloaded on.

We had to replace our Wii twice, losing a bunch of games we payed for.
I REALLY hope Nintendo fixes this problem in the future.  

Mukuchina Kurasu

Super Cheesio

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:17 pm
Same thing happened to me. For some reason I can't play my downloaded games despite connecting my Club Nintendo account to the Wii Shop Channel.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:32 pm
Bongardo
What's FAR worse then not being able to save memery for some games, is that ya lose ALL downloaded games if the Wii is replaced. Even if ya do save them to a memery card. You can only return them to the Wii it was originally downloaded on.

We had to replace our Wii twice, losing a bunch of games we payed for.
I REALLY hope Nintendo fixes this problem in the future.

While you can't access them from the memory card, you can still re-download them as far as I'm concerned. I'll have to re-upload them to the SD card, though.

Super Cheesio
Same thing happened to me. For some reason I can't play my downloaded games despite connecting my Club Nintendo account to the Wii Shop Channel.

Really? I can still re-download them.  

The_Ky-Guy

'Tendo Cult~

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces