Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Shadows-shine

Invisible Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:03 pm
Pretty much what the title says....

Do you have to believe that Bible is inerrant?

Do you have to believe in the trinity?

Do you have to believe that Bible is the complete word of God?

Can you believe in modern revelation?

Do you have to believe in closed canon?

What about if you have a different canon in your bible than some one else?

Can you just say that you're a Christian and not have to do any thing else and still go to heaven?

Can you believe that there is a living prophet on the earth today?

I am curious. I have been told I am not a Christian by far too many people lately because I believe and don't believe some of the questions that I asked to be true and not true. I know I am a Christian and I know what I believe is true, but I want to hear the rest of the guilds thoughts on these matters. I will post my thoughts as more replies come.

((I have posted this in two other Christian guilds that I am member of, because I am simply trying to get every one's thoughts on this.))  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:24 am
Christian = Christ like; thats what I think at least.

I believe in the Bible.

I believe in the Great 3-in-1, God the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost.

I am not sure that the Bible is the complete word.

What do you mean by modern revelation??

No, I do not believe you can say you are a Christian and get to Heaven by doing nothing else. I believe you must accept God as your Savior. You must denounce Satan. You must ask for forgiveness of any past transgressions. I also believe in following up in Believer's Baptism.  

squeakygirl
Captain

6,250 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Friendly 100

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:08 am
to me the bible was written by man and has been translated and altered so many times that i dont believe its as pure as it should be

i do beleive in the trinity

sure, why not?

i dont think so, but im not sure

believe what your heart tells you, we will all find out the truth soon enough when we die

Can you just say that you're a Christian and not have to do any thing else and still go to heaven?
no. i believe that you at least have to try to live without sin and try to help others

im sure there is. there were plenty of prophets back in the day so why wouldnt there be any now? god still exsists so why shouldnt prophets still exsist to help us get closre to the lord?  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:51 am
squeakygirl
Christian = Christ like; thats what I think at least.

I believe in the Bible.

I believe in the Great 3-in-1, God the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost.

I am not sure that the Bible is the complete word.

What do you mean by modern revelation??

No, I do not believe you can say you are a Christian and get to Heaven by doing nothing else. I believe you must accept God as your Savior. You must denounce Satan. You must ask for forgiveness of any past transgressions. I also believe in following up in Believer's Baptism.

Believer's baptism? What's that?

And modern revelation is where the Lord is still revealing things to man, new scripture, discoveries, etc.  

Shadows-shine

Invisible Shapeshifter

Ametrin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:49 am
To make it simply, I believe the core is believing that Jesus as described in the gospels is the saviour sent by God, and trying to follow his teaching: trust in God, love for God and other people and practicing that in daily life [we can't do that perfectly and we still need God's help, but Christ's example should encourage us to keep trying].  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:02 am
i can belive in all those things im trying, but i dont belive in the bibal is gods word because people are saying that gays are hated by god and if he hated them then why did he make them? but yah other wise im trying to believe it  

Hamburgers 8D

rosadria
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:32 am
Pancake freak
i can belive in all those things im trying, but i dont belive in the bibal is gods word because people are saying that gays are hated by god and if he hated them then why did he make them? but yah other wise im trying to believe it

Key phrase here is "People said." Did they provide you with chapter and verse?  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:41 am
Do you have to believe that Bible is inerrant?
Yes I do, if one knows how to read, put into context, and interpret

Do you have to believe in the trinity?
No I do not

Do you have to believe that Bible is the complete word of God?
Yes I do

By the definition I understand, yes

God is the final authority on anything, but he will never go against his own word

Again, God is the final autority

Nope. The Plan of Salvation is in the Bible, and its not just a prayer or a few words spoken

There very well could be

Hizuma the Troublesome

Scarlet_Teardrops

Sparkly Genius

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:59 am

This problem was settled a long time ago in one of the Councils of Nicaea.

It is called The Apostle's Creed. I posted it in a thread some time ago. I believe that The Apostle's Creed is a list of beliefs necessary to be a Christian. Here's a link.

The Apostle's Creed (PLEASE NOTE: Jesus descending into hell is part of certain theological doctrines and is not a required belief; also note that Catholic in the Apostle's Creed is not referring to the Catholic church we know today, but rather the universal Church, also known as the Body of Christ)

As you know, Shadow, The Apostle's Creed says nothing on any of the questions you asked.

Do you have to believe the Bible is inerrant? No, though if you believe the Bible has false parts in it, you should logically begin to question if anything in the Bible is true at all. And furthermore, how do you determine what is truth and fact? Based on what you think is right? On evidence?

Do you have to believe in the Trinity? No. I do, though.

Do you have to believe that the Bible is the complete word of God? Well, yes and no. You should believe that the Bible is the Word of God. Whether that be God-breathed or inspired. Otherwise it's just a book. What's the point of that? But is the Bible the only Word of God? No.

Yes, you can believe in modern revelation and it would be silly not to.

The canons were determined by councils to help protect Christians from false beliefs and the gnostic gospels. The canon doesn't necessarily have to be closed. In fact, if there's modern revelation I'd say that it can't possibly be closed. But we must be VERY wary of what is truth from modern-day prophets and what is totally fake.

When it comes to different canons, I still don't see much of a problem. Canons don't differ that greatly in all honesty. Some books are taken out or added in depending on the canon, but that doesn't change the Bible too much overall.

It's one thing to talk the talk. It's another to walk the walk. Christians, true Christians, walk the walk.

Yes, you can believe there are living prophets today. Lol.

It's amazing how debilitating Christian beliefs are today, and to Christianity!

@ Shanna

Shanna, the Bible has not been altered and translated to the point of it being impure. The original Old Testament manuscripts are in Hebrew and the original New Testament manuscripts are in Greek. We have plenty of those manuscripts, and there are versions of the Bible that have the closest, most accurately straight translation from those original languages. One of them is the NASB. Another, believe it or not, is the King James version, but you better understand Old English really well.

So there's no reason to believe that it has been so altered that it's not the same as the original. Yes, some things might be lost in translating or there may be words that don't work together quite right through translation, but the Message, the pure Word of God, is there. It is there. Jesus is salvation. He is the way, the truth, and the life. He died and rose again, ascended into heaven, and will return.

The Bible is not nearly as warped as the world would have you believe, beloved sister. Be on your guard, yes. But do not think that the Bible is so different from the original manuscripts. It's not.

@ Pancake

God loves everyone. People hate homosexuals, true. But not God.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:24 am
i meant that i believe the main point of the bible is true, christ is with us and he died so we could be forgiven for our sins. but with some of the details im a bit more shaky about. misinterperating just a small word can alter the meaning of an entire sentance.

there are many things that i do believe are truth and there are some things that i believe were added in for the convenience of man  

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200

rosadria
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:26 am
Shanna66
i meant that i believe the main point of the bible is true, christ is with us and he died so we could be forgiven for our sins. but with some of the details im a bit more shaky about. misinterperating just a small word can alter the meaning of an entire sentance.

there are many things that i do believe are truth and there are some things that i believe were added in for the convenience of man

What methods do you use to determine between the two?  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:31 am
I believe in order to be a Christian, one must believe in Jesus Christ and do good things in the name of the Lord. I'm a Christian, but I just converted earlier this year. Prior to that, I knew nothing about Christianity. I'm still learning, but there's a lot that I don't know. For instance, I'm not sure what the modern revelation is or closed canon or things like that. I don't think one needs to know these things in order to be a Christian, but I do think that they need to make the effort to learn and be willing to educate themselves on Christianity.

Wishboxx

Scarlet_Teardrops

Sparkly Genius

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:47 am
wishboxx
I believe in order to be a Christian, one must believe in Jesus Christ and do good things in the name of the Lord. I'm a Christian, but I just converted earlier this year. Prior to that, I knew nothing about Christianity. I'm still learning, but there's a lot that I don't know. For instance, I'm not sure what the modern revelation is or closed canon or things like that. I don't think one needs to know these things in order to be a Christian, but I do think that they need to make the effort to learn and be willing to educate themselves on Christianity.

Just this year?! Wow!

Welcome to the family, Wish. ^_^ heart

We have cake, cookies, and pudding!
Darkness only has cookies. I think we win. razz

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:48 am
VK Fox
Shanna66

i just go with what my gut tells me. im im wrong then im sure god will let me know at some point either in my life or after i die  

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200

rosadria
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:51 am
Shanna66
VK Fox
Shanna66

i just go with what my gut tells me. im im wrong then im sure god will let me know at some point either in my life or after i die

Or, He could be telling you now, via the passages that your gut is trying to push you away from.  
~Ancient Scrolls~

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff