Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

User 18688290

2,500 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Member 100
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:46 pm
My friend and I were looking through our Student Bibles one day before school, and we found some things that I could use some more insight on.

Who exactly is this Lilith woman? I've heard of her, and I've read about Bible verses that talk about her, but I haven't been able to find them. I've heard that she was Adam's first wife before Eve, and I've also heard that she's Lucifer's wife, so I'm a bit confused on that account.

Also, in Genesis, when it says :

Quote:
26Then God said, “Let us make man in our image, in our likeness, and let them rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air, over the livestock, over all the earth, and over all the creatures that move along the ground.”

The part where it says, "in our image" is confusing me. Is it referring to Jesus, God, and the Holy Spirit, or is there something else it's talking about?

I'll probably have more questions in the future, but if you could help me with these two, I would be greatful! Thank you for reading. heart  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:27 pm
according to some stories she was the first wife of adam but left him and became the first and favorite wife of lucifer. there are a few different versions on why she left adam but thats the basic story.

some people believe it and others dont. i personally do believe it but thats just me  

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200

Lusitana

Invisible Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:42 am
♩♪♫ 𝔪𝔲𝔰𝔦𝔠 𝔱𝔬 𝔪𝔶 𝔢𝔞𝔯𝔰 ♫♪♩
maybe our meaning Him and His angels...?  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:00 am
Lilith is just a legend. She is believed to be Adam's first wife, but I personally do not believe she existed and that Eve was Adam's only wife.

As for the part where it says "Let us make man in our image" it's Heavenly Father talking to Jesus, Heavenly Mother (this is LDS belief here) and the Holy Ghost. All four of them made the earth together, alongside of Michael the Archangel.  

Shadows-shine

Invisible Shapeshifter

User 18688290

2,500 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Member 100
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:05 pm
Shadows-shine
Lilith is just a legend. She is believed to be Adam's first wife, but I personally do not believe she existed and that Eve was Adam's only wife.

As for the part where it says "Let us make man in our image" it's Heavenly Father talking to Jesus, Heavenly Mother (this is LDS belief here) and the Holy Ghost. All four of them made the earth together, alongside of Michael the Archangel.

By the Heavenly Mother do you mean the Virgin Mary?
And what's LDS?  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:40 pm

Aww. I had a nice post about this from an earlier discussion on Lilith. Can't find it though.

The fact is, Lilith is almost definitely a total myth/legend. There is a very, very, very slim chance that Lilith is as rumors and legends say, but not likely. Lilith likely originated from truth and her story has become twisted in such a way that it no longer is truth.

The fact that these accounts are so mixed up further points to Lilith being a legend.

When God said "us" He is referring to Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Because God is made up of three distinct facets. They are all part of "God". That is the Trinitarian view and the one I hold.

|||EDIT|||

LDS is an acronym for Latter Day Saints, or the Latter Day Saints Church of Christ. Mormons, as they're often called. Differing doctrinal views from both Catholics and Protestants, but holding to a bit of both, leaning more toward Protestantism.

Shadow knows more about this though. She IS a member of the LDS part of the Church.

Scarlet_Teardrops

Sparkly Genius

Shadows-shine

Invisible Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:35 pm
heart_of_a_fighter
Shadows-shine

And what's LDS?

No, no, no, definitely not the Virgin Mary. I am not Catholic.

LDS=Latter-day Saints (aka Mormon).

She (Heavenly Mother) is with Heavenly Father. Scripture doesn't talk about Her much though. The LDS believe it's because Heavenly Father wants to protect Her, like a husband protects his wife, so He (Heavenly Father) had never really revealed any thing to the prophets about Her.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:42 pm
Shadows-shine
heart_of_a_fighter
Shadows-shine

And what's LDS?

She (Heavenly Mother) is with Heavenly Father. Scripture doesn't talk about Her much though. The LDS believe it's because Heavenly Father wants to protect Her, like a husband protects his wife, so He (Heavenly Father) had never really revealed any thing to the prophets about Her.

Where is she mentioned?  

rosadria
Crew

Hizuma the Troublesome

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:48 am
Luna Wolfgang
♩♪♫ 𝔪𝔲𝔰𝔦𝔠 𝔱𝔬 𝔪𝔶 𝔢𝔞𝔯𝔰 ♫♪♩
maybe our meaning Him and His angels...?

That is what I believe. When God says

Then God said, “Let us make man in our image, in our likeness, and let them rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air, over the livestock, over all the earth, and over all the creatures that move along the ground.”

He is speaking to the Angels of heaven, creating us in his image of holiness and purity while creating the body with the image of our future redeemer(Jesus) in mind. I'm Oneness Pentecostal, so my beliefs differ from most.
And could you please show me somewhere about the Holy Mother, anyone anyone at all?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:20 am
Okay. Thanks for all of your answers - it's helped a lot. heart  

User 18688290

2,500 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Member 100
  • Person of Interest 200

Shadows-shine

Invisible Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:00 pm
VK Fox
Shadows-shine
heart_of_a_fighter
Shadows-shine

And what's LDS?

Where is she mentioned?

In Genesis, where it says "Let us make man in our image." Heavenly Father was talking to Her as well. Who was woman designed after? Heavenly Mother.

And she is not explicitly mentioned because of the explanation I gave above.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:52 pm
So, if it is not in the Bible, its still there?
From my reading, God created Woman from the rib of Man, to help him in his charge of keeping the Garden, and to fulfill the command "Be fruitful and multiply"
I still see nowhere in the Bible, any of them multiple translations, that supports a "God the Mother"

and if you take God creating us in his Image as meaning we look like him physically, then why can we look at each other?
the Bible says God is a Spirit. Human eyes cannot see spirits. Now, we can look like Jesus, God in flesh, and that is how I believe we were designed, with our future redeemer's body in mind.

Hizuma the Troublesome

Someoneiknow

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:22 pm
Hizuma the Troublesome
So, if it is not in the Bible, its still there?
From my reading, God created Woman from the rib of Man, to help him in his charge of keeping the Garden, and to fulfill the command "Be fruitful and multiply"
I still see nowhere in the Bible, any of them multiple translations, that supports a "God the Mother"

and if you take God creating us in his Image as meaning we look like him physically, then why can we look at each other?
the Bible says God is a Spirit. Human eyes cannot see spirits. Now, we can look like Jesus, God in flesh, and that is how I believe we were designed, with our future redeemer's body in mind.

God created the body of a woman from the rib. Eve was still born of spirit before she came to earth. This would be scripture. So then, that would beg the question, "how was Eve's spirit created?" Well, the most logical answer would be that God created us, before we were even born, according to scripture. He knew us before we were in the womb. We are all sons of daughters of our Heavenly Father, which is scripture, so would He create us unnaturally, and go against the laws of Heaven and Earth that He established? No, for we know to love and cling to our wives from a precursor of what we knew in Heaven, which would be the love that Heavenly Father had for our Heavenly Mother. We do not love each other out of some self righteous desire, some sexual exploitation. No, a man and a woman love each other out of something deeper, some greater understanding of the spiritual and the physical.

I would also ask you, where does it state God is a spirit? God is not a Spirit. He has a body of flesh and bone. God has a spirit, yes. But He created us with a corruptable body, only to have a body renewed later in the course of our lives. Why would a God want us to take upon ourselves our bodies again but in a renewed, resurrected state, uncorruptable, and undefialable? Would you say that that would be how God would distinguish us from Him? Well that is a pretty lame answer. That would be as to say a corporate business man always needs to wear a suit and name badge stating his rank in the company so that we always know who is in charge. That is a ridiculous answer. There is always the knowledge that your boss is still your boss, no matter what their appearance is. They still have control over your physical status with a company, and so you still treat that individual with a certain ounce of respect.
So then, if we do not need to distinguish God from us from some physical appearance, then of course the plausible answer would be God has a body of flesh and bone, according to scripture, because He wants us to be resurrected like Him, and have a body like Him. A spirit has limitations, and a body has limitations, but combined, they can do what singularly they could not. This would be why God has a body and a spirit, and why He desires us to have one too.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:18 pm
KJV John 4:24 God is (a) Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.(perenthesis because about half of all translations excludes it)
1 Corinthians 1:15 Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every Creature:

Webster's Dictionary
Spirit: A supernatural, incorperal, rational being, usually invisible to human beings but capable of becomming visible at will
There are quite a few verses to support that God is invisible, and that no man has ever seen God's real form.

If God is flesh and bone, by your same argument, he cannot be everywhere at once, nor invisible without violating his laws of Heaven and Earth.

As for God being distinguished from us: He's Omnipresent, omnipotent, omniescent, and immutable(All places at once, all knowing, almighty, and unchanging, respectively)
I'd say that in and of itself puts him on another level from us.

And the very first point: Genesis 1:27 So God created man in is own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.
Genesis 2:7 And the Lord God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.
Now, to use a little logic. First scripture simply says, both man and woman were created in his image, spiritually and physically with the redeemer in mind. God breathed into man the breath of life. Seeing as normal man cannot do the same, and man by himself cannot reproduce(yet*shudder*), God would have to have breathed into her(Eve's) nostrils the same breath no?
As for why we love each other:
Genesis 2:18-24
Ephesians 5:22-33
We are to love one another as Christ loves the Church

Yes I know I bounced around a lot. Now, pray tell, what are limitations of a spirit, with scripture please.

Hizuma the Troublesome

Scarlet_Teardrops

Sparkly Genius

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:11 pm

Men and women cling to each other because God gave Eve to Adam. They're bound, joined by God. Not because God has a wife. It has been that way since. Scripture doesn't support the existence of a "Heavenly Mother" at all.

As Hizuma said, God made us from the dirt. Then He breathed life into us. Then He made Eve from Adam's rib, and we can assume that He breathed life into her as well. There's no reason to believe in a Heavenly Mother because there is no Scripture that even suggests the existence of a Heavenly Mother.

~Ancient Scrolls~

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff