Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Occult Research Society

Back to Guilds

A guild devoted to the study of the occult, in all its forms. 

Tags: Magick, Psionics, Supernatural, Paranormal, Occult 

Reply The Occult Research Society
Magic is evil? Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

random poll
  purple ice cream
  legend of zelda!
  meh
  **GOLD** muhaha!!
View Results

CemeteryPirate

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:11 pm
Why do so many people fear that practicing magic is evil and worthy of eternal punishment???
and exactly what about it do they think is so evil?  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:39 pm
As shown in history countless times before. People fear what they don't understand.  

Satrevi

Violet fira

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:30 pm
People equate magic with power and the unknown, so it's easy for some to jump to conclusions. Magic is not good or evil in itself; it is what you make of it.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:38 pm
Fear over what they cannot control and do not understand would be the primary reasons. The other being certain religious beliefs that equate such people as trying to be gods or working against god, both of which are seen as damnation worthy.  

Nymshi

Shy Stalker

Taigamma

Shadowy Paladin

8,850 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Battle: Knight 100
  • Battle: KO 200
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:09 pm
The fear of the unknown. We're just too human.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:59 pm
Some lightbulbs illuminate. Some make lasers. Too many want lightning but dont want to be struck. Instead, many like striking. Maybe its a psyche thing thats created the view. Those that would most likely use it for evil would call it evil. No one thinks to heal a foes source of perditions. No ones focusing on it as good out of the bad they could do with it. Its a psyche thing. Im sure. Grey eyes hold the most wisdom.  

xxCiegexx

5,000 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200

Zurah

Tipsy Phantom

8,175 Points
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:04 pm
stormciege- that made, quite floridly, very little sense.

I think that magic gets such a bad rep, so to speak, because it's the major thing that separates Christianity from the pockets of paganism it took over. If the dominant religion hadn't have had to convert the magic-users, into non-magic-users, they wouldn't have had to sully the name of magic.

In my opinion, it has a bad rep because the leaders of the Christian church gave it one, in order to convert on-the-fence pagans. Otherwise, as many pagan religions and Christianity are similar in actual practice, they might have had some cross-over, which they didn't want.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:22 am
Such wise remarks! It all makes sense. Thank you for helping me gain some perspective on the subject.
When my family found out of my beliefs and practices, they tried to convince me that I will go to Hell (which I don't even believe one exists). They kept saying things like "You don't know what your messing with" and "God doesnt want you to go against his will"...
Now they keep sending me e-mails filled with Christian preachings and they keep trying to get me to go to church so I can be "saved". They act like I'm sick or mad or something. ]:  

CemeteryPirate

CemeteryPirate

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:25 am
Zurah
stormciege- that made, quite floridly, very little sense.

I think that magic gets such a bad rep, so to speak, because it's the major thing that separates Christianity from the pockets of paganism it took over. If the dominant religion hadn't have had to convert the magic-users, into non-magic-users, they wouldn't have had to sully the name of magic.

In my opinion, it has a bad rep because the leaders of the Christian church gave it one, in order to convert on-the-fence pagans. Otherwise, as many pagan religions and Christianity are similar in actual practice, they might have had some cross-over, which they didn't want.

That's interesting! Could you tell me where I can find more information on this? Maybe if I show my family they will remember that Christianity is just another religion, and what maybe true for them might not be "the truth" for others.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:36 am
Sadly, showing folks "the facts" about why their religion isn't all it's cracked up to be tends to elicit nothing more than hostility -- people don't like having their faith questioned. It's quite simple to do, really - you could just ask them why they believe Christianity is the only correct religion when there are hundreds of others, many of which have their own sacred texts that state that theirs is the correct way. Nonetheless, a position of hostility, mockery or blatant disrespect is never one to adopt when you're trying to get people to understand you, so if you're going to attempt to try to win them over, it's important to maintain that you're not dissing their faith in any way - just trying to show them yours.  

Rustig

4,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Entrepreneur 150

Zurah

Tipsy Phantom

8,175 Points
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:03 pm
CemeteryPirate-- I'm with Mitsh on this one. You can't really try to force it. Sorry they're doing that to you, it really sucks, but the bible's been telling them just how selfish and unfriendly pagans are.

If they're really starting to bother you, I suggest showing them the similarities between Christianity and your beliefs-- the bits about the threefold law and doing no harm, the parallels between Christmas and Yule, who the goddess Easter is, et cetera.

Also, point out that most pagan celebrations are, so far as I understand, explicitly open to absolutely everyone, regardless of pretty much anything.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:10 pm
Yep...I'd say this is a losing prospect. If they are truly devout Christians, then the most you will ever get them to concede is that you are a good person who is misguided in your beliefs and will hopefully be forgiven for your sins.

But...truth be told, that's the most anyone should want. Not that specifically, but people showing tolerance and love for one another even if it is in a very narrow-minded way.  

Nymshi

Shy Stalker

Oborosen

5,000 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Autobiographer 200
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:29 pm
Magic and hate have faced each other in a vicious cycle for as long as I can remember.
For those that don't practice it, it is seen as an epidemic void that stems to corrupt the ideal matched word they have built for themselves. Profoundly so if such things take place under there very noses.
For some time when I was young, I did not understand nor care to understand the meaning of magic.
And in the beginning it frightened me with what it promised. But soon I learned that with a life lead to the truth of understanding. One could find solidarity in the pursuit of knowledge and in the end combined brotherhood with those of like mindedness.

If those without understanding had the time and patience to learn from and except those they don't comprehend. Then this would surely be a more gentle word for all of us.
But I'm afraid the world isn't gentle, and those around us are far less compared.
So you must hold fast children, and remember to bend when the wave brakes. Or the wave will break you.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:15 am
I think everyone knows that hate is a good glue to bind people together. Baptists, Jehowas witnesses, they all need an enemy to fight. Sometimes it's abortion, sometimes it's teen pregnancy and sometimes it's magick.

Plus, christianity is antagonistic towards all kinds of magick because they often associate it with the devil, and treat practicing magic as another sin. At the very least they describe it using the pejorative (in their eyes) term "pegan"

Of course all their fears are totally irrational. If you think about it Who in the world does evil for the sake of evil? Other than the dreams of a few teens, there's no such person. There are no villains in the world, Charles Manson, Gayce didn't really like what they did, they tried to stop, or in case of Manson they thought they are brining greater peace and love to the world, they just had different methods tisall smile .

So even if we exclude those 200 psychopaths/sociopaths and angry teens -who - do not- really -want to do evil, there's not one person in the world that consciously wants to do evil for the sake of evil. While some people might do evil for the sake of personal gain (there's a lot of those), almost no one does evil only for "evil".

I remember that Aleister Crowley was once called the "wickedest man in the world". And to some who look at his work only briefly and without any thought, it might seem that he did it only for pure evil. I mean he's even often quoted saying "I desire sin". Of course he did such things purelly for spiritual development, which is "good". Even the Aghoris who eat s**t, eat humans do not do it to be evil, they do it as a technique to achieve enlightenment by eliminating the infantile artificial duality between " good " and evil. -  

Musubi P.

MyShadowHidesMe

4,850 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Explorer 100
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:42 am
Zurah

Which is kind of funny really because Christianity (and Judaism) have their own 'unique' branch of magic, the Kabbalah. I guess they just couldn't stand for having someone be able to call the rain.

Zurah

From what I understand, the crossover was intentional on the part of the church who wished to ease the old religion into the new one. But yeah, it was given a bad rep by the christian leaders early on, and it hasn't gone away that much.

That being said, I think that magic is what you make of it, as if anything is used for the wrong purpose, it can be corrupted. As for evil . . . well, my thought is best described by the quote, "There is no good and evil, only actions, and consequences" (The Witcher)  
The Occult Research Society

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff