Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Read below and answer
  yes
  no
View Results

Kazemaru Shichijo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:14 pm
Anyone else mad about old gaming icons like Mario, Sonic, and Link who still have good games coming out being eclipsed by shooters like Gears, Halo, and CoD.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:38 pm
I haven't noticed them being eclipsed. Most of the people I know, including myself, are still into them.

I don't really know anyone who is still crazy about Gears, Halo, or CoD.  

Mat Kaiju

Kazemaru Shichijo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:14 pm
Oh there are people like that all around. Especially where I live. I guess the main place I've seen it is X-play, IGN, and other such reviewers. who seem to focus their time praising the new first person shooters and seemingly trying to bash old school icons.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:28 pm
The budgets on the newer games are obscenely high so they tend to throw a lot of money at marketing to try and make their profit.

Old school revival games are cheaper to develop and do fine with word of mouth advertising so you won't hear about them as much on tv or on giant corporate gaming sites.  

Mat Kaiju

gkar1701

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:07 pm
The old gaming icons are classics. Everyone holds them in high respect. Part of the problem, I think, is that it's very hard to redo a classic and do it well. How many Mario games are there? How excited do you expect reviewers to get when they see ANOTHER one coming to market? Granted, they're usually good, but still. It's like Star Wars or the Rocky series. After a while, no one really cares much about the new ones.

I, for one, am glad that these other areas are "eclipsing" the classics. It enables us to branch off in new directions with new ideas.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:55 am
I'm not glad they are being eclipsed myself. I guess its my own personal taste in that I'm sick of blood and violence. Most of the real popular games are shooters in some form. Most of them First person. I've never seen what's exciting about that. I mean I feel like after I play one I've played them all. All these other stars that seem to be slowly forgotten can at least always bring something new to the table.  

Kazemaru Shichijo

Mat Kaiju

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:01 am
They totally aren't eclipsing them though. We are at a period in gaming history where you have more choices than ever on what you are going to play in terms of existing games and the diversity of titles that are being released.

If you don't want to play first person shooters, don't. If the media outlets you follow cover too many first person shooters, stop following them.

Thinking that Call of Duty is the only thing going on in gaming is like thinking that Justin Bieber is the only thing going on in music. Just because the media is presently focused on one doesn't mean every other option has disappeared off the face of the planet. It also doesn't mean that every other person on the face of the planet is interested exclusively in it, even though the people paid to cover it would like you to believe so.

Just filter out the noise.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:21 pm
Mat Kaiju
They totally aren't eclipsing them though. We are at a period in gaming history where you have more choices than ever on what you are going to play in terms of existing games and the diversity of titles that are being released.

If you don't want to play first person shooters, don't. If the media outlets you follow cover too many first person shooters, stop following them.

Thinking that Call of Duty is the only thing going on in gaming is like thinking that Justin Bieber is the only thing going on in music. Just because the media is presently focused on one doesn't mean every other option has disappeared off the face of the planet. It also doesn't mean that every other person on the face of the planet is interested exclusively in it, even though the people paid to cover it would like you to believe so.

Just filter out the noise.

Ah thanks for the advice. Back on the subject of the thread I've also noticed this. I've been playing a few titles that were whose ancestors are in the 8 and 16 bit era of gaming. The thing I noticed between then and now is that 8 and 16 bit games are hard as (insert adjetive of choice here). I'm not saying modern games are easy, but I think because of maybe the 3D and enhanced graphics games have gotten easier then they were back in those days.  

Kazemaru Shichijo

iiBadProfuuktionzii

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:22 pm
ya i do it's so stupid scream  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:44 pm
I kinda understand what you mean but those gaming icons will never be eclipsed by your aver bald/shaved head,steroid chewing gorilla in metal plated armor once I was on GFAQS and went the Nintendo thread and someone made atopic rather it was to troll or take seriously that Mario is old played and Nintendo should remove him as there mascot that thread was bashed to death by people taking up the plumbers good name.  

Trevor Wellington

Timid Prophet

Kazemaru Shichijo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:51 pm
Trevor Wellington
I kinda understand what you mean but those gaming icons will never be eclipsed by your aver bald/shaved head,steroid chewing gorilla in metal plated armor once I was on GFAQS and went the Nintendo thread and someone made atopic rather it was to troll or take seriously that Mario is old played and Nintendo should remove him as there mascot that thread was bashed to death by people taking up the plumbers good name.

Well I guess there is some hope then. Gaming icons such as Link, Mario, Sonic, and Mega Man I guess will never be completely forgotten. I guess the good thing about CoD is that it even though its a long running series it has no character you can connect with. That's the shooters downfall and for that matter a whole bunch of the modern games is that the characters don't seem to give off a personality you can connect with in some way. Even the silent Link had a bit of a charm.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:26 pm
I'm really glad to see there are other gamers who don't like FPS games. I myself prefer strategy, rpg, and rts - whatever makes you use your brain!  

gkar1701

Slaje

Chatty Shapeshifter

7,050 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:28 pm
I don't think the old games are eclipsed, it's just they aren't on TV as much. Most of the people I know that get into the FPS are just looking for graphics and gore. Anymore you can have a game that sucks but the graphics shine it up so that the commercial looks good. I grew up when word of mouth sold a game, not flashy commercials. For me, I'll take 8 bit graphics and using my brain over various different ways I can waste somebody in realistic graphics. During my time Contra was like the current FPS games.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:42 am
I think it is hilarious how "mature" gaming is supposedly the hookers and head shots genre. Most of the mature gamers I know are so over that stuff. I can't imagine any one but a sheltered and repressed teenager having their mind blown.

Somehow it got switched around so that if you enjoy games that have innovative and tight game play with charming graphics that pay attention to design and make use of more colors than brown and red, you are the vapid child.  

Mat Kaiju

Kazemaru Shichijo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:59 am
Back in the 90s when you played games with the big names like Mario, Sonic, Link, Samus, etc... you were considered a gamer. Now your considered a casual gamer if you still play those titles and don't play games like CoD, Gears, and Halo. Also this applies to some modern titles as well. Like Kingdom Hearts I once posted a link saying one of the best games at E3 for Birth by Sleep. Then 2 of my buddies posted links right under one leading to Medal of Honor and the other Halo: Reach.  
<Entertainment & Music>

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games