Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Occult Research Society

Back to Guilds

A guild devoted to the study of the occult, in all its forms. 

Tags: Magick, Psionics, Supernatural, Paranormal, Occult 

Reply The Occult Research Society
My Thoughts on "Aliens" Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do you agree?
  Yes
  No
View Results

iiDexter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:51 am
If you really think about it, there could be thousands of galaxies that are millions of miles away from our planet. There could be other races that are native to Earth, other species, people with knowlege and technology that surpasses that of Earth,
And the sad thing is, we will never be able to know about it because of how slowly technology is advancing.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:53 am
Agreed. It is very possible.  

Koigokoro Konjou

Zurah

Tipsy Phantom

8,175 Points
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:48 pm
You're talking to an Astrobiology major, hon.

Not only is it possible, but technology is advancing quickly enough to make awareness, at least, quite feasible.

Communication and other concrete gains from the matter? Now that's another story.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:37 pm
There is always the chance that our technology is more advanced then theirs.  

Taigamma

Shadowy Paladin

8,850 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Battle: Knight 100
  • Battle: KO 200

Abbot_Natalis

Savage Genius

2,850 Points
  • Befriended 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • PvP 200
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:44 am
I'd say our technology is progressing pretty rapidly. Though not in areas I think deserve more focus, but what can you expect from a consumer-based culture?  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:07 pm
There are hundreds of billions of galaxies according to some estimates. I think there are most likely other lifeforms in other parts of the Universe, but I doubt that any of them were originally Earthlings. It's possible, but the Universe is so vast and there's no recording or evidence of it, so I have no reason to think so. I think technology is progressing at a moderate to fast pace. However, that is relative.  

Violet fira

iiDexter

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:25 am
Zurah
You're talking to an Astrobiology major, hon.

Not only is it possible, but technology is advancing quickly enough to make awareness, at least, quite feasible.

Communication and other concrete gains from the matter? Now that's another story.

It isn't entirely necessary to communicate with them, just discovering their existance is what I am interested in.
There isn't a whole lot to gain from knowing there is life trillions of miles away from us, I am just stating how I feel about the topic of aliens as a whole.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:43 pm
iiDexter

It isn't entirely necessary to communicate with them, just discovering their existance is what I am interested in.
There isn't a whole lot to gain from knowing there is life trillions of miles away from us, I am just stating how I feel about the topic of aliens as a whole.

How could we 'discover their existence' (which will very likely be thousands of light-years away) without either a) going there ourselves, or b) communicating with them?

Just because we see what look like cities from far off doesn't mean there's actually life there, if you catch my drift.

Zurah

Tipsy Phantom

8,175 Points
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0

Zurah

Tipsy Phantom

8,175 Points
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:48 pm
Abbot_Natalis
I'd say our technology is progressing pretty rapidly. Though not in areas I think deserve more focus, but what can you expect from a consumer-based culture?
Abbot, what are you judging the speed of our progress by? What is your ruler, so to speak?

Also, what sorts of things do you think deserve more focus, and how, do you suggest, a consumer-based culture hinders the progress of said things?

To me, at least, all a consumer-based culture is, is one that is fueled by one of the strongest urges of humans-- to survive. Perhaps we aren't good at deciding what 'survival' is, but it's a very efficient fuel to use.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:12 am
I do believe that there are otherworldly beings out there. But if they where watching us, they would have the common sense to stay away from us.  

Oborosen

5,000 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Autobiographer 200

Chieftain Twilight

Loyal Rogue

14,550 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:12 am
why would anyone give up so easily on the pursuit of Extraterrestrial Contact? do you realy have that little faith in Human Determination, or Scientific Pioneering?

i do believe that we will be able to make First Contact in the reletively near future. smile maybe only 40-50 years from now. ^_^  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:03 pm
if you take into consideration how vast our universe is, it's easy to come to the conclusion that we simply cannot be the only lifeforms, be it anything from intelligent to microscopic.

Sincerely John

Zurah

Tipsy Phantom

8,175 Points
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:47 pm
Chieftain Twilight
why would anyone give up so easily on the pursuit of Extraterrestrial Contact? do you realy have that little faith in Human Determination, or Scientific Pioneering?

i do believe that we will be able to make First Contact in the reletively near future. smile maybe only 40-50 years from now. ^_^

I could see that. Messages could take quite a long time to travel, what with the distances being so incredibly vast and such, so we might need to wait awhile for them to actually receive what we send.

It's hard to say, though. Maybe they'll have some sort of fancy express delivery mechanism for message retrieval?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:49 pm
Oborosen
I do believe that there are otherworldly beings out there. But if they where watching us, they would have the common sense to stay away from us.
And why would that be, Oborosen?

After all, if we're properly manipulated, I'm sure they'd have something to gain. Besides, it wouldn't be as if we were a threat to them.

Zurah

Tipsy Phantom

8,175 Points
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0

Saliman Albus

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:28 am
Well, I've read somewhere that statistically, it is quite impossible that there aren't other lifeforms around the universe. It said that there are millions of planets that would have similar "configurations" as ours which would be hospitable. On the other hand, I believe communication across galaxies and stars is impossible with our current technology since the nearest star is 50 light years away, meaning it would take 100 years just for an answer if they also had technology of similar or greater level and are not single-cell organisms or just disinterested/ aggressive. If we found a way to communicate or travel at speeds greater than the speed of light, then the whole thing would be feasible. I think we already sent some messages and an inscribed gold disc or something, right? In my opinion our technological advancement is extremely fast in the last century or so (according to earthen standards), we have discovered an amazing amount of information and plausible theories and in return our technology would be described as magic by people from 200 years ago. As someone already said, the advancement of a species is driven by necessity, maybe we just don't feel the need for extra-terrestrial communication that much yet...  
The Occult Research Society

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff