Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Newbie Supporting and Training Guild

Back to Guilds

The NSTG's mission is to provide a safe and educational environment for the fostering of newbies to productive Gaians. 

Tags: Guide, Support, Games, Newb, Help 

Reply ☆ Word Games
Anyone else had this..

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

unk tensor

Aged Citizen

8,350 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Trader 100
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:21 pm
I installed the latest tek tek plug-in had no problems then adobe flash wanted an update. Boom, 5 min load times between menus which could only be freed by opening another window. This happen each time. However, my niece's account only slowed slightly. I have disabled all plug-ins except flash player with some slight success.

This might not be the right place to post but I am pissed and wanted to get anyone's opinion on the matter  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:20 am
A few questions:
What version of flash/firefox are you using? Are you sure they're compatible?
Are you absolutely sure it was a legitimate update from Adobe? Some hackers use XSS attacks to trick you into downloading and installing harmful activeX/firefox plugins that are used to monitor/control your browser.
Is your niece using the same com as you? You say her account only slowed slightly but I'm not sure if you are on the same com.
Have you tried opening the same pages in another browser like google chrome or opera? If there is no difference, it may not be the plugin alone that may have been bad (or rather the plugin had spread outside your browser). If this is the case, I would recommend getting a full system scan with a GOOD antivirus (none of that Norton/McAffee crap).  

maui boy no ka oi

Allied Ally

12,700 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Newbie Helper 100
  • Beta Forum Regular 0

unk tensor

Aged Citizen

8,350 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Trader 100
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:23 pm
thanks for the info.
I am using Firefox 3.6.8.

we share the same computer. she has no detectable problems.

I am not sure if the adobe update was legit. the option popped up as soon as Google search was finished loading.

I have ran Yahoo's CA anti-spy and Superantispyware 4.41.1000. plus numerous reg error fix programs.

My windows internet browser is almost non functional so I have been using Firefox XP compatible ver.

I am going to do another complete sys scan tonight if no luck I will use Revo to up-root Firefox on Wednesday and then reinstall everything.

I have regained some function on Gaia but still have some slow down problems and trade requests had a option to accept or decline, mine no longer funtions.

If things work out I will be back soon.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:30 pm
Gaia is working better. Ran deep scan. Had 466 detections scream
I will see how it goes.

thanks  

unk tensor

Aged Citizen

8,350 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Trader 100

maui boy no ka oi

Allied Ally

12,700 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Newbie Helper 100
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:54 pm
Do NOT use those "free" registry fix programs. Most of them are either scams (nagware/shareware) or are viruses in themselves. If you're going to use a free registry scanner, use either CCleaner or Ncleaner. they both work pretty well and are easy to use.

As for your com, 466 infections seems too unreal. I would question the integrity of your AV at that point. Try running a scan using Mbam and AVG and if that doesn't help, send me a PM with your email and I'll try to walk you through some steps.  
☆ Word Games

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games