Welcome to Gaia! ::

Sparkle Motion - JULY 2012 - ON SUMMER BREAK

Back to Guilds

For Socialites, Fashionista's, and the generally Fabulous. 

Tags: Beauty, Learning, Fashion, Tutorials, Cooking 

Reply ✄ ✄ ✄D.I.Y (Do it your self ) - Post your tutorials! ✄ ✄ ✄
Crochet - 101

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Excited about crochet?
  Yup! :D
  Nope! :I
View Results

xena91388
Vice Captain

Gambino Zealot

14,150 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:07 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Hello! Stitch-Witches and Future Stitch-witches! In this thread, you can, if you're a newbie, learn crochet! This first page explains basic crochet How-To. Feel free to post questions any time!

Welcome to the wonderful craft of Crochet! What is crochet?

Crochet (pronounced crow-shay) is a process of creating fabric from yarn or thread using a crochet hook. The word is derived from the French word "crochet", meaning hook. Crocheting, similar to knitting, consists of pulling loops of yarn through other loops. Crochet differs from knitting in that only one loop is active at one time, and that a crochet hook is used instead of knitting needles.

The majority of young girls prefer crochet to knitting because it creates a beautiful, complex pattern easily and you don't have to worry about dropping stitches.

Crochet is ridiculously easy to learn but requires a lot of muscle memory to master.

Look what crochet can do!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:25 pm

All you need to crochet is a hook and yarn! biggrin (and maybe some scissors)

-Hooks-

There are many different types and sizes of hooks out there. You don't need anything expensive (I use Boye) but you do need variations in sizes (not just one hook). When buying hooks for crochet, it's best to buy a bulk pack with several sizes in it.

Unlike knitting where needle size determines stitch size, in crochet needle size is determined by the weight of your yarn. Skinny yarn = small hook, thick yarn = big hook. Some yarn bundles tell you which size hook works best with it but you should always use what you feel is most comfortable so don't be afraid to mix things up plus, if your stitches are too tight or too loose, sometimes going up or down a size can help fix things..

If the hardness of a hook painfully rubs your fingers, some stores sell grips like pencil grips.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

-Yarn-

One of the biggest mistakes people starting out make, is spending too much on yarn. Some people get so excited, they buy yarn bundles costing $5 and up and then quit because it's "too expensive"

These people benefit you! The best place to get yarn when you are starting out is Yard/Garage/Estate Sales and Thrift Shops ( Only buy from craft stores when making something specific or super special). I have found bundle after bundle of new, unused, expensive yarns from silk and natural wool to alpaca for as low as $0.25 a bundle/ball! I even once found a small duffel bag filled to the top with Nursery grade (ultra soft) yarn in beautiful colors.

Also, every experienced crocheter/knitter eventually ends up with what is called a "yarn stash" this is left over balls of yarn that are either too small for a most projects or they only have one ball/skein left of a certain dye lot. Many people regularly clear out their "stashes" in the above mentioned sales. BUY THEM! They are usually super cheap, great for practicing, perfect for making small things like granny squares and appliques, and allow you to experience different types of yarn.

No yarn is the wrong yarn! Pick what ever is easy and comfortable to work with. For stating out, I have found thick simple yarns to be best. Leave the novelty yarns for professionals. wink

Left to right: Novelty Yarn, Crochet Thread, Simple Yarn
User Image

-Useful Stuff-
- Scissors
- Stitch markers (little clip on charms or scrap thread bits or safety pins)
- Measuring tape
- Tapestry needle
- Bag for your stuff (I use a bible case to carry my current project and hooks so I can grab and take it everywhere at any time)
-Cookies (chocolate is recommended)

xena91388
Vice Captain

Gambino Zealot

14,150 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Bunny Hoarder 150

xena91388
Vice Captain

Gambino Zealot

14,150 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:25 pm

There are three main stitches in crochet. Once you have these stitches mastered, you can make anything and everything in any pattern!

First you start with a Slipknot:

-Chain Stitch-

The first stitch is called a Chain Stitch. This is a foundation stitch used to start almost every project you will have.

Starting with your Slipknot, wrap your yarn around your hook and pull through the loop. Repeat as necessary.

-Single Crochet-

The Single Crochet stitch usually makes up the bulk of simple crochet projects. It is a simple, easy starting stitch.

Starting with a Chain, poke your hook through the last loop you made, there should now be two loops on the hook. Wrap your yarn around your hook and pull through the first loop only. You should still have two loops on your hook at this time. Wrap your yarn around the hook again and pull through both loops. Repeat as necessary.

-Double Crochet-

The Double Crochet stitch is similar to the Single Crochet stitch but double the height. The Double Crochet stitch makes up the majority of patterns such as granny squares. You should practice the Single before starting the Double, it will be easier that way.

Wrap your yarn over your hook. Push it through your last loop (Either a Chain or Single). There should be three loops on the hook. Wrap the yarn over again and pull through the first loop. You should have three loops on the hook now. Wrap the yarn over again and then pull through the first two loops. You should now have two loops on the hook. Wrap the yarn over again and pull through the last two loops. Repeat as necessary.

Congratulations! Once you have these three down, the rest are simple! With just these three you can finish most simple projects. If you want to learn the other various stitches such as Half Double, Treble, or Afghan, ect. . . just PM me or search online! biggrin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:32 pm

Click on a picture to see a step-by-step video on how to make it. Click the name to see the written pattern.

Videos by Teresa (YouTube-twj1963) She has such wonderful videos and projects!

M Granny Square MM Craft Bag(Bingo Bag) MM Kingston Hat MMM Crochet Earrings
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. M User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. M User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. MUser Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.  

xena91388
Vice Captain

Gambino Zealot

14,150 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Bunny Hoarder 150

xena91388
Vice Captain

Gambino Zealot

14,150 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:43 pm

Made something you're proud of? Want to show it off? PM me the picture and I will put it on the refrigerator for all to see!

A few things I made:

✄ ✄ ✄D.I.Y (Do it your self ) - Post your tutorials! ✄ ✄ ✄

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games