Welcome to Gaia! ::

Classical Musicians Guild

Back to Guilds

Tags: Classical, Musician, Band, Orchestra, Choir 

Reply Classical Musicians Guild
What do you do "outside of the music" to help your playing?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

[neon.zombie]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:28 am

That was possibly the most vague thread title ever. But I digress.

Everyone knows that practising often, and efficiently, is vital to becoming a good musician. But what do you do, other than practising, to improve your musicianship and sense of performance?

Singers are expected to be able to act a little bit at least, sometimes to dance and of course to understand the text and the character that we are portraying. I have heard it recommended that we read the poetry of the songs we sing, and to study the historical context and overriding mentalities of the time. Of course, physical fitness is important for all musicians as well... I'm trying to do more physical activity to engage my muscles for increasing periods of time (fencing, yay!).

So what do you do, that you feel helps with your musicianship?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:58 am
One of the best things I do is watch videos with tutorials on certain aspects of my instrument that I need help with, or tutorials on things I'm good at already but just to see a different possible way of doing it so I can see what works best. I watch a lot of videos in my spare time from experts or professionals and I think it really helps. Also, just listening to a piece you're working on from a professional recording might help you on interpretation.  

babbs302

950 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Statustician 100
  • Dressed Up 200

Wings

Invisible Fairy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:25 pm
Well, most of it is the usual. Watching vids of performances, attending concerts and masterclasses, reading books on composers, history, analysis, and pedagogy, singing...

I'd like to take up dancing some time. There was this Baroque dance workshop I wanted to attend but didn't have time to...maybe next year. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:23 pm
(I'm a singer.)

I take classes in French (unfortunately the only language my school offers, I'd love to do more) and always make sure I can translate or get a translation of my text. I've got a couple of different language dictionaries to do this word for word when I have the time as I find this the most helpful, but if not then I'll find a translation online.
Tomorrow I'll be starting pilates classes to help improve my core muscles to support my voice.
Probably an obvious one, but I try and get as much performance experience as possible =P
I haven't found a local drama group that is ran at a time that I'm free but I took theatre studies and performing arts last year to improve my acting and try and remember things like this.
Having an extra practise session infront of a mirror where I focus on expressions and body movement instead of what it sounds like is also useful.
Of course, I also do all the theoretical side of music too, having a deeper understanding of the notes on the page is always good.
OH and I practise & teach piano... maybe not what you're thinking of but having a second instrument gives you a wider understanding of music I believe, or at least it has for me.  

InketyDink

Gjornia X

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:22 pm
Wings
Well, most of it is the usual. Watching vids of performances, attending concerts and masterclasses, reading books on composers, history, analysis, and pedagogy, singing...

I'd like to take up dancing some time. There was this Baroque dance workshop I wanted to attend but didn't have time to...maybe next year. 3nodding

Everything above, and yeah, I exercise and meditate regularly to relax and manage performance anxiety. also, i picked up this habit of smiling before starting a piece that's technically challenging..that seems to relax me too (i know, odd). but i try not to do it for "somber" pieces for obvious reasons.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:38 pm
I am a big fan of talking to other musicians about music; most of the time it’s about performances, instruments and musician ship tips. I also watch many performances both live and recorded. I find that this allows me to see what the musician does during the performances, like resting positions, expressions, and naturally what they actually look like while playing or singing. I listen to many recordings of different styles; I also find that abstract art is helpful.

Allow me to explain when I create a piece, I have music playing in the background and allow the music to inspire the many colors and textures as well as shapes that I will use. As well as emotion and try to reflect this in my playing, it gives me a better understanding of a piece or composer as well as the emotions they are trying to emanate.

To combat nerves I do breathing exercises and meditations. This may seem odd but believe me it works if I meditate before a performance. I clear my head of all that stuff, and enter a place of peace and harmony.  

II Stelmaria II

Naughty Explorer

8,775 Points
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
  • Timid 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200

Vampire_Panda14

5,000 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Friendly 100
  • Window Shopper 100
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:20 pm
i listne to alot of music adn try to find the down beat ( i listne at almost every type of music) and i also sing alot to i hum the melody or harmony to a song to get a feel on how it goes.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:38 am
I make it a point to go to concerts and study the violinists. Every technique is analyzed and then I replicate it when I go to practice  

violinprodigy

a porg

Anxious Astronomer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:38 pm
Well, I'm a violinist (duh, I know). I go to different concerts where I listen intensely to the songs being performed. I also youtube the songs I'm playing and discuss them with my friends.

Outside of music, I'm a puppeteer. It helps with my timing and and it builds my arm muscles.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 9:01 pm
Well at conservatories they teach you ear training, theory, piano, harmony, history, etc. Some of these are more helpful than others depending on your field. I know that piano doesn't help me as a bassoonist but it sure does help me when I'm trying to arrange things for bassoon quartet.

Ear training doesn't help me calm my nerves while playing a concerto but it helps me diagnose what position I'm playing in a chord when I'm playing with the orchestra.

Theory doesn't necessarily help me with how to play my scales and all their modes but it might help me memorize a piece I have to perform if that structure makes sense to me and I make connections with the music and why it's written the way it is.

I also find that listening to other genres expands your musical range. Listening to jazz will open your eyes to really really cool harmonies, time signatures, orchestration, etc. Hip-hop will give you insight to different rhythms, grooves, vocal play, etc.

Also on a physical standpoint, EXERCISE, and maintenance of your body strength and flexibility is so important. As musicians we are ATHLETES. We have to maintain our bodies to be fit to play our instruments for as long as until we're even 80! There is a lot of stress that goes into body position, practice habits, muscle development, etc. So many musicians get tendonitis (I am not excluded from that either) and have complications so learning your body and how to keep it healthy is key.

Hope that helps, I could talk about this for days. Years.  

Eziana Altaire

6,050 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Wall Street 200

thequietwriter

5,800 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
  • Autobiographer 200
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:55 am
I guess listening is what I do the most. I listen to recordings that are inspiring or I listen to the pieces I am learning, on youtube videos.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:14 am
I'm tending to view my playing to be a much more broad thing than just music. As self-important as it probably is, I want it to just be general art. To that end, I really want to immerse myself in all the differents things that artists all over the world put out there. Films, paintings, books, video games, clothing, I can be inspired by all of it.

Getting more to the "nuts and bolts", I absolutely find that more academic study of music (theory, history, etc.) totally enhances my playing. It just brings me out of the dark a little bit and makes me feel my place in time.  

35wZpftB0cvlOXAmU03a1nMR

choirnerd9

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:07 am
I meditate. As a guitar player, it relaxes my muscles. As a singer, it helps me breathe easier. Additionally I study the lyrics in my songs and translate them if they are in a foreign language.
And about the physical fitness thing, I can sing just fine and I'm fat XD  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:18 pm
Swimming helps your lung capacity and breath control immensely. This is very helpful for the lovely horn note holds of 24+ beats.  

Arasim

Classical Musicians Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff