Post-Modernism.
  Ugh.
  Oh goodie!
  Uh..what's that?
View Results

Scarlet_Teardrops

Sparkly Genius

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:18 pm

Post-Modernism is defined as a lacking of absolute truths, and the existence only of personal truths. These personal truths become absolute truths for the person who holds them, and in that regard become absolute truths without being absolute truths.

Post-Modern thinking is similar to Existentialism, and it has a focus on the person, the self, and the state of the self. Do what is good for the self, and it is good. Because good and evil are not truths, but products.

It stems from a response to Modernistic thinking. Modernistic thinking essentially focused on facts and absolute truths. Scientific phenomena. Biblical truths. Essentially, all things could eventually be proven through thorough examination and testing.

Today, you can see the influences of Post-Modernism in society, as well as art and literature.

What do you guys think about Post-Modernism? Is there anything you'd like to add? How do you see its effects on society? Do you see its effects on society? What effects are there? What do you think Post-Modernism looks like in art and literature?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:05 pm
I don't feel that Post-modernism has any room for a true practice of Christianity, and flies directly in the face of the claims that God has made about Himself.  

rosadria
Crew

Scarlet_Teardrops

Sparkly Genius

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:47 pm

It seems that nobody else has anything to say about post-modernism...

ninja

How about Atheistic-Existentialism?

Existentialism originated with Soren Kierkegaard, who was, in fact, a Christian. Ironically enough, men such as Sartre have taken existentialism and turned it around to fit atheistic purposes.

I gave a description of it when I explained post-modernism. What have you guys seen of existentialism, particularly the atheistic branch? How is it apparent in society?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:43 pm
When I get some extra time to do some research, I will post my thoughts!  

Shadows-shine

Invisible Shapeshifter

Kyo the III

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:59 pm
Sadly Post-Modernism has take over some (Not all churches) Christian preaching. I had to leave 2 churches because they were teaching that one saved always saved no matter what you do. They cut out peaces of gospel and teach the happy stuff. I got no problem with making people happy but there is a thing called hell that needs to be brought up in church.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:19 pm
Kyo the III
Sadly Post-Modernism has take over some (Not all churches) Christian preaching. I had to leave 2 churches because they were teaching that one saved always saved no matter what you do. They cut out peaces of gospel and teach the happy stuff. I got no problem with making people happy but there is a thing called hell that needs to be brought up in church.

Well, Post-Modernism isn't necessarily cutting out the "bad things" and leaving only the "good and happy things".

And the once saved always saved doctrine has been around for a long time. It's baptist doctrine.

But post-modernism and existentialism have infiltrated the Church. You are correct in that regard. It is no longer about Biblical truths and historical evidence and facts. It is about what you feel, what it means for you, and what's true for you is okay and what's true for me is okay.

This isn't how reality works. God's truth is God's truth, whether you want to accept it or not.

Scarlet_Teardrops

Sparkly Genius

~Ancient Scrolls~

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces