Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Occult Research Society

Back to Guilds

A guild devoted to the study of the occult, in all its forms. 

Tags: Magick, Psionics, Supernatural, Paranormal, Occult 

Reply The Occult Research Society
Animal Totem Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

iDarthy

Desirable Werewolf

6,700 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Ultimate Player 200
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:22 pm
How can I figure out who my Lifelong Animal Totem is?

I've gone to several different sites..
I've gone through a couple of them and they've all come up as a Wolf
Is there a way to fully prove if my lifelong Animal Totem is infact a Wolf or it's just what I want getting in the way of the truth  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:34 pm
you can't learn it through tests, quizzes, or being told by anyone human. the Animal Totem is something very personal and specific to you. you'll know when you know. perhaps you should go on a Vision Quest.  

Chieftain Twilight

Loyal Rogue

14,550 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Elocutionist 200

iDarthy

Desirable Werewolf

6,700 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Ultimate Player 200
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:40 am
Chieftain Twilight
you can't learn it through tests, quizzes, or being told by anyone human. the Animal Totem is something very personal and specific to you. you'll know when you know. perhaps you should go on a Vision Quest.

but i didn't take any test, quiz or was told by a human being

they were questions O_o and not in a quiz form  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:50 am
This somewhat interests me for I too have noticed some strange sites that label the wolf as the animal that best suits me. Though they never said it was my spirit animal or totem, it always came back the same.  

Taigamma

Shadowy Paladin

8,850 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Battle: Knight 100
  • Battle: KO 200

Lovely-Avarice

Unforgiving Bloodsucker

7,700 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:05 pm
How are animal totems actually useful? They seem pretty superfluous to me and I'd really enjoy hearing about your reasoning behind wanting to discover yours.

How does this actually help with work as an occultist? It sounds like a native american/neo-pagan concept. I know most ancient tribes and cultures revered animals indifferent ways than we do.

i would think in my logic
-- step one
What do i need to accomplish and how can i do that using an animal totem?

---step two
Select appropriate animal for situation

---step 3
create animal totem using prescribed methods and use them how you intended in step 1.

I don't understand how to go from " I'm a wolf animal totem" to using that to further magical or occult study. If you really want to find out tangible knowledge about yourself or others i generally use astrology/numerology/tarot ect.

At any rate I'd love to hear your answers and thoughts.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:14 pm
http://ladyhawkesite.tripod.com/Totem.htm  

iDarthy

Desirable Werewolf

6,700 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Ultimate Player 200

Chieftain Twilight

Loyal Rogue

14,550 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:43 pm
iDarthy

meh... seems realy fluffy once it get's down to criteria. confused more than half of those are different wordings of "pick the one that you think is coolest, teehee!"

meh.

look, just pay attention, and try to follow your intuition. don't be suckered into the trap of expecting anything.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:17 pm
Chieftain Twilight
iDarthy

meh... seems realy fluffy once it get's down to criteria. confused more than half of those are different wordings of "pick the one that you think is coolest, teehee!"

meh.

look, just pay attention, and try to follow your intuition. don't be suckered into the trap of expecting anything.

i know what you mean, i forgot to say 'read the first sentence only' XD
but i did ask my dad some things and he did mention that when I was in Cub Scouts, my best year of it was Wolf Scout...coincidence or not?

and it also seem's kinda strange that one of my favorite game series, The Legend of Zelda, happens to have Link transform into a wolf in Twilight Princess..
up to you what you think
XD  

iDarthy

Desirable Werewolf

6,700 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Ultimate Player 200

AniMajor

8,000 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Mark Twain 100
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:55 pm
Wolf is a really popular totem. As in so popular everyone I've ever seen who's claimed to have a totem has been a wolf.

Mostly, it's the wolf thing that throws me off. That, and the idea of a totem, while based on the outside knowledge of certain Native American practices, is not nearly the same as the actual Native American practices.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:37 pm
Chieftain Twilight
iDarthy

meh.

I read the link and honestly it sounds like it's just asking you to pick the one you want. I don't see animals very often because I'm indoors working all the time. I don't have any pets. I'm allergic to cats and dogs. >_> however realistically speaking I'm seriously obsessed with butterflies. Gemini is an air sign and their animals are butterflies and bright colored birds. So that part about me is really tangible since I'm a Gemini. I catch them and keep their wings in a jar.-creepy i know emo - It's not something I feel like doing just because I'm a Gemini, it's something in my personality since i was a child. I'm fascinated with butterflies. Check out the book 'The only astrology book you'll ever need' Seriously that's the title. That is my main astrology reference. >_> You know even then Native Americans had their own set of constellations. Maybe the totem animal was actually determined by what constellation you were born under similar to western astrology.

I tend to look down on sites that offer no knowledge or information, only more questions.

-- Vittoria  

Lovely-Avarice

Unforgiving Bloodsucker

7,700 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100

Baltazaar

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:31 pm
Damn... none of these tests list the Hamster as the spirit guide. or the penguin... strange...  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:06 pm
Finding your totem just comes to you. If you have that many coincidences with Wolves then you should look into it. Also I personally think that you could get net totems over time....perhaps the wolf is for you at this point in time but later on you notice another animal or whatever more often. Use and TRUST your intuition!  

VioletAeon

4,050 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Forum Explorer 100

Zurine

Feral Lunatic

6,950 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:22 pm
I think it should be more personal, to bring it out within yourself. Nothing on an internet quiz site is going to tell you anything you don't already know about you.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:38 pm
Zurine
I think it should be more personal, to bring it out within yourself. Nothing on an internet quiz site is going to tell you anything you don't already know about you.

it wasn't really much of a quiz site..
it was a site that had information about it and some questions
but i'm really just looking out for what animals i run into and trusting my instinct  

iDarthy

Desirable Werewolf

6,700 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Ultimate Player 200

Its Wolfeh

6,250 Points
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Friendly 100
  • Wall Street 200
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:18 pm
My mom is more in tune with native american traditions than I am, she really just does the same thing with predicting someones totem, not that she picks her favorite she says she just "does" and "it just happens". She says mine is the deer/fawn. I've always wondered though if there was some way I could verify this or something like that. I don't want to say I doubt it but I don't think I can say I don't doubt it.

My personality really reflects the fawn so that could be how she chose it. She chooses it from birth though, but I was born silent and peaceful so it would still fit the fawn XD I think just look at your personality and see who you really are, try not to think so much about your favorite animal, but then take what you've learned about yourself and start learning about animals and what their "personalities" are and which one best fits yours.

A wolf is usually very involved in family. Protective and nurturing. Strong and powerful, yet can also be submissive and fearful. Independent or dependent. Struggling to keep balance (maybe?).

User ImageUser ImageUser Image
_Gentle Like The Fawn, Fierce Like The Bear, Protective Like The Wolf.

The Occult Research Society

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff