Submit

Bible study!
  Yay!
View Results

Scarlet_Teardrops

Sparkly Genius

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:09 pm
Proud Christians of Gaia Bible Study

Greetings, and welcome to the Bible Study thread of the Proud Christians of Gaia guild!

Here's a basic summary of how everything is going to work!

Every month, we will be studying a book of the Bible. The schedule should give you an idea of where I plan on having us go. I will be organizing the information for the studies. The month prior, I will be reading the corresponding book and doing research (if I need to--I know some of the books very well all ready). So you can know that I am studying it with you and that I am working to provide you with good, solid information and understanding.

This Bible Study has a few purposes. The first and foremost is for all of you to grow in your knowledge and understanding of God and the Bible. The second is to give you, hopefully, an accountability, that you will actually sit down and read the book we are studying. This will help you delve into the Bible when you may not have normally done so (shame on you if this is the case). The third is to have fun, because learning the Bible can be a blast! And there are some really fascinating, awesome things that take place in the Bible. It's a very exciting book.

As I said, we will be studying a different book every month. It is my hope that you will learn facts about the Bible that you didn't know before, and that this study will increase your understanding and Biblical knowledge.

In the title of the thread, I will detail the book we are currently studying and which page you can find the start of that book on.

For example:

PCG Bible Study [Romans, Pg 12]

Every book will have an overview. This overview will contain some major facts about the book, as well as the entire contents of the book put into a list form to make for easy searching. For example, if you are wondering where exactly in John you can find the conversation between Jesus and Nicodemus, all you have to do is go through the list, find the chapter and verse, and go there yourself. I will also be putting little stars by sections that I want to focus on.

This is an ongoing study. Meaning that we have an entire month to discuss it. There are no specific dates or meeting times where we all must gather. This makes the study convenient, and gives people an opportunity to think over an extended period of time about the study, rather than just, say, a week or a Saturday.

So that's the gist of it! If you have any questions or need to know something that I may have forgotten, do not hesitate to ask when the thread is officially open and ready, and I will be sure to add the answers to this post.

Thanks! I love you guys! heart

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:10 pm
Bible Study Schedule

(Subject To Change)

September 2010 -- The Gospel as Told By Luke

October 2010 -- The Book of Acts

November 2010 -- The Letter to the Romans

December 2010 -- Advent

January 2011 -- The Gospel as Told By Matthew the Apostle

February 2011 -- The Gospel as Told By John Mark

March 2011 -- The Gospel as Told By John the Apostle

April 2011 -- Easter

May 2011 and Onward -- Open to Suggestions ^_^

Scarlet_Teardrops

Sparkly Genius

Scarlet_Teardrops

Sparkly Genius

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:27 pm
The Gospel as Told By Luke

Author Biography and Purpose

Luke, the writer of one of the four Gospels in the Bible as well as the writer of the book of Acts, was a Gentile physician (see Colossians 4:14), and a dear friend and companion to Paul. He was an eyewitness to a number of things in Acts.

Luke's purpose was to carefully investigate the many facts about Jesus' life, starting from even before Jesus was born, and then organize them into a chronological telling of the Lord and Savior of this world.

He wrote this Gospel with the Greeks in mind. The Greeks were very big on details, thought, and knowledge. Naturally, this would make Luke, a doctor and very thorough man, an excellent candidate for the Holy Spirit to use. This presented Jesus' life in a detail, orderly manner, and presented the human aspect of Jesus more than the other Gospels. There are many things in Luke that cannot be found in the other Gospels, especially the role of women and the childhood of Jesus. It is also the most thorough account of Advent. A whole number of other things exist in Luke, and it is my hope that we will be able to examine them.

Sections List

1. Luke's purpose in writing. (1:1-4)
2. Birth of John the Baptist is promised. (1:5-25)
3. Birth of Jesus promised. (1:26-38 )
4. Mary's visit with Elizabeth. (1:39-45)
5. Mary's Magnificat. (1:46-56)
6. The birth of John the Baptist. (1:57-66)
7. Zechariah's Prophecy. (1:67-80)
8. The birth of Jesus. (2:1-7)
9. Shepherds visit. (2:8-20)
10. Jesus is circumcised. (2:21-24)
11. Prophecy of Simeon. (2:25-35)
12. Prophecy of Anna. (2:36-40)
13. Jesus as a boy. (2:41-52)
14. John the Baptist prepares the way for Jesus. (3:1-18 )
15. Herod puts John in prison. (3:19-20)
16. Baptism of Jesus. (3:21-22)
17. Record of Jesus' ancestors. (3:23-38 )
18. Satan tempts Jesus. (4:1-13)
19. Jesus' ministry in Galilee. (4:14-15)
20. Jesus' rejection in Nazareth. (4:16-30)
21. Casting out of a demon by Jesus. (4:31-36)
22. Healing of Simon Peter's mother in law, and others. (4:38-41)
23. Jesus preaches throughout Judea. (4:42-44)
24. The miraculous catch of fish. (5:1-11)
25. Jesus heals of leprosy. (5:12-16)
26. Jesus heals of paralyzation. (5:17-26)
27. Jesus eats with sinners at Matthew's house. (5:27-32)
28. Leaders question Jesus about fasting. (5:33-39)
29. The Sabbath conflict. (6:1-11)
30. Jesus chooses His twelve disciples. (6:12-16)
31. Jesus teaches the Beatitudes. (6:17-26)
32. Jesus teaches to love one's enemies. (6:27-36)
33. Jesus teaches about judging others. (6:37-42)
34. Jesus teaches about the fruit in people's lives. (6:43-45)
35. Jesus teaches about building on a solid foundation. (6:46-49)
36. The faith of a roman officer. (7:1-10)
37. Jesus raises a widow's son. (7:11-17)
38. John the Baptist's doubts are eased. (7:18-35)
39. A woman anoints Jesus' feet with perfume. (7:36-50)
40. Women accompany Jesus in his travels. (8:1-3)
41. Parable of the Four Soils. (8:4-8 )
42. The explanation of the parable of the Four Soils. (8:9-18 )
43. Jesus' true family. (8:19-21)
44. Jesus calms the storm. (8:22-25)
45. Legion. (8:26-39)
46. Jesus heals a bleeding woman and brings a dead girl to life. (8:40-56)
47. Sending out of the disciples. (9:1-6)
48. The death of John the Baptist. (9:7-9)
49. Jesus feeds 5,000. (9:10-17)
50. Peter calls Jesus the Messiah. (9:18-20)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:02 pm

Sections List Continued

51. Jesus predicts His death for the first time. (9:21-27)
52. Jesus' transfiguration. (9:28-36)
53. Jesus heals a demon-possessed boy. (9:37-43)
54. Jesus predicts His death for the second time. (9:43-45)
55. Jesus' name is forbidden to be used by His disciples. He corrects them. (9:49-50)
56. The cost of following Jesus. (9:51-62)
57. Jesus sends out seventy-two messengers. (10:1-16)
58. The messengers return. (10:17-24)
59. The Parable of the Good Samaritan. (10:25-37)
60. Jesus visits Martha and Mary. (10:38-42)
61. Jesus teaches about prayer. (11:1-13)
62. Jesus answers hostile accusations. (11:14-28 )
63. Jesus warns against unbelief. (11:29-32)
64. Jesus speaks of the light within. (11:33-36)
65. Jesus criticizes the religious leaders. (11:37-54)
66. Jesus speaks against hypocrisy. (12:1-12)
67. Jesus tells the Parable of the Rich Fool. (12:13-21)
68. Jesus warns about worrying. (12:22-34)
69. Jesus warns about preparing for His Coming. (12:35-48 )
70. Jesus warns about coming division. (12:49-53)
71. Jesus warns about the future crisis. (12:54-59)
72. Jesus calls the people to repent. (13:1-9)
73. Jesus heals a crippled woman. (13:10-17)
74. Jesus teaches about the Kingdom of God. (13:18-21)
75. Jesus teaches about entering the Kingdom. (13:22-30)
76. Jesus grieves over Jerusalem. (13:31-35)
77. Jesus heals a man with swollen limbs. (14:1-6)
78. Jesus teaches about humility. (14:7-14)
79. Jesus tells the Parable of the Great Feast. (14:15-24)
80. Jesus teaches about the cost of following Him. (14:25-35)
81. Jesus tells the Parable of the Lost Sheep. (15:1-7)
82. Jesus tells the Parable of the Lost Coin. (15:8-10)
83. Jesus tells the Parable of the Lost (Prodigal) Son. (15:11-32)
84. Jesus tells the Parable of the Shrewd Manager. (16:1-18 )
85. Jesus tells about the rich man and the beggar. (16:19-31)
86. Jesus tells about forgiveness and faith. (17:1-10)
87. Jesus heals ten men with leprosy. (17:11-19)
88. Jesus teaches about the Coming of the Kingdom of God. (17:20-37)
89. Jesus tells the Parable of the Persistent Widow. (18:1-8 )
90. Jesus tells the Parable of the Two Men Who Prayed. (18:9-14)
91. Jesus blesses the children. (18:15-17)
92. Jesus speaks to the rich young man. (18:18-30)
93. Jesus predicts His death for the third time. (18:31-34)
94. Jesus heals a blind beggar. (18:35-43)
95. Jesus brings salvation to Zaccheus' Home. (19:1-10)
96. Jesus tells the Parable of The King's Ten Servants. (19:11-27)
97. Jesus rides into Jerusalem on a young donkey. (19:28-44)
98. Jesus clears the temple again. (19:45-48 )
99. Religious leaders challenge Jesus' authority. (20:1-8 )
100. Jesus tells the Parable of the Evil Farmers. (20:9-19)
101. Leaders question about paying taxes. (20:20-26)
102. Leaders question about the Resurrection. (20:27-40)
103. Religious leaders cannot answer Jesus' question. (20:41-44)
104. Jesus warns against the religious teachers. (20:45-47)
105. A poor widow gives all she has. (21:1-4)
106. Jesus tells about the future. (21:5-24)
107. Jesus tells about His Return. (21:25-33)
108. Jesus tells about remaining watchful. (21:34-38 )
109. Religious leaders plot to kill Jesus. (22:1-2)
110. Judas agrees to betray Jesus. (22:3-6)
111. Disciples prepare for the Passover. (22:7-13)
112. The Last Supper. (22:14-30)
113. Jesus predicts Peter's denial. (22:31-38 )
114. Jesus agonizes in the Garden. (22:39-46)
115. Jesus is betrayed and arrested. (22:47-53)
116. Peter denies knowing Jesus. (22:54-65)
117. The Council condemns Jesus. (22:66-71)
118. Jesus stands trial before Pilate. (23:1-5)
119. Jesus stands trial before Herod. (23:6-12)
120. Pilate hands Jesus over to be crucified. (23:13-25)
121. Jesus is led away to be crucified. (23:26-31)
122. Jesus is placed on the cross. (23:32-43)
123. Jesus dies on the cross. (23:44-49)
124. Jesus is laid on the tomb. (23:50-56)
125. Jesus rises from the dead. (24:1-12)
126. Jesus appears to two believers. (24:13-34)
127. Jesus appears to His disciples. (24:35-43)
128. Jesus appears to the disciples in Jerusalem. (24:44-49)
129. Jesus ascends into Heaven. (24:50-53)

Scarlet_Teardrops

Sparkly Genius

Scarlet_Teardrops

Sparkly Genius

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:03 pm

Luke: Q&A

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:24 pm

Any questions you have will be posted in the place listed "Luke: Q&A", which I promise I will work on. I've just been busy.

So talk about Luke! I've decided to push the start of the Book of Acts back to October 17th.

Scarlet_Teardrops

Sparkly Genius

Scarlet_Teardrops

Sparkly Genius

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:05 pm

Some opening notes.

Luke was a physician, and he carried out a careful investigation of eyewitness reports. Then he gave a careful account so that Theophilus could be certain of the truth of the things he'd heard. (1:1-4)

Theophilus essentially means either "one who loves God" or "one who God loves". There are a few possibilities as to this "Theophilus" audience:

1. Theophilus refers to the general Christian public.
2. Theophilus refers to a patron or somebody who helped finance Luke's work.
3. Theophilus was a Roman who was curious about Christianity.

Chances are, Theophilus refers to the third possibility.

It should also be noted that the boyhood of Jesus occurs only in Luke (2:41-52), as does a number of other detailed things such as prophecies and people.

Luke 3:23-38 is a record of Jesus' ancestors, tracing the line all the way back to Adam. Luke did this because his focus was on the humanity of Jesus.

It's interesting that when Jesus is rejected in Nazareth the people try to push Him off a cliff (4:16-30). It is written that when they tried to do this He merely passed right through them and went on his way (v. 30). There have been a few explanations as to this passage:

1. Jesus literally went right through them
2. Jesus became invisible and got away
3. Jesus escaped in the confusion of the mob

We might like to think that it was either one or two, and it could have been, but the generally accepted view regarding this is that Jesus escaped in the confusion of the mob. Mobs are full of people, many of whom don't even know why they're mobbing, only that there's a mobbing going on, and there's much chaos and confusion. It's quite possible that Jesus slipped through and got away because of the confusion. Plus, it wasn't His time anyway.

No matter which of the three you believe, it's interesting to think about nonetheless.

And those are just a few starting notes for now. ^_^

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:47 am
Interesting. That is about Luke 4:16-30.

The KJV reads:
4:29 And rose up, and thrust him out of the city, and led him unto the brow of the hill whereon their city was built, that they might cast him down the headlong.

*headlong = cliff

4:30 But he passing through the midst of them went his way.

I have a study bible and it states that it is not clear whether this was a miraculous deliverance, or whether Jesus was able to impose his presence and stare down His opponents and simply walk away untouched.  

squeakygirl
Captain

6,250 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Friendly 100

Scarlet_Teardrops

Sparkly Genius

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:33 am
squeakygirl
Interesting. That is about Luke 4:16-30.

The KJV reads:
4:29 And rose up, and thrust him out of the city, and led him unto the brow of the hill whereon their city was built, that they might cast him down the headlong.

*headlong = cliff

4:30 But he passing through the midst of them went his way.

I have a study bible and it states tht it is not clear whether this was a miraculous deliverance, or whether Jesus was able to impose his presence and stare down His opponents and simply walk away untouched.

Impose?
Wow! I've never heard that theory! That sounds pretty awesome, and I know Jesus could get away with it. There is much power in the eyes, especially in the eyes of the Lord. When Peter locks eyes with Jesus after denying Him...such power. There is so much going on right there. You could probably write a book about that one part of the Bible.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:46 am

Well, I must say it's great that everyone seems to understand everything about the book of Luke.

Scarlet_Teardrops

Sparkly Genius

Fighting Fefnir

Perfect Winner

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:28 pm
I'm not gonna lie, in reference to the options presented about Jesus' rejection in Nazareth, I laughed, especially about the second one. I didn't know Jesus was a superhero! Turning invisible seems like a bit of a stretch. I think that the more likely option is the one that Squeakygirl mentioned, where he made an imposing presence and scared the mob.

It's prudent to note that Luke very likely had the writings of Mark to work from in order to get his details correct, though he did a lot of interviewing to gather facts. The investigative journalism he employed was passed along to others, and from that passed along version, the book of Luke was constructed. Note also that when one says 'eyewitness accounts', it had been nearly fifty years since the death of Jesus, and with what we know about memory today, it's possible details could be wrong as people recalled them. Thus, Mark's info would have been instrumental in getting the story right. Even so, Luke's timeline doesn't match with Matthew's.

Hope that helps.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:45 pm
Fighting Fefnir
I'm not gonna lie, in reference to the options presented about Jesus' rejection in Nazareth, I laughed, especially about the second one. I didn't know Jesus was a superhero! Turning invisible seems like a bit of a stretch. I think that the more likely option is the one that Squeakygirl mentioned, where he made an imposing presence and scared the mob.

It's prudent to note that Luke very likely had the writings of Mark to work from in order to get his details correct, though he did a lot of interviewing to gather facts. The investigative journalism he employed was passed along to others, and from that passed along version, the book of Luke was constructed. Note also that when one says 'eyewitness accounts', it had been nearly fifty years since the death of Jesus, and with what we know about memory today, it's possible details could be wrong as people recalled them. Thus, Mark's info would have been instrumental in getting the story right. Even so, Luke's timeline doesn't match with Matthew's.

Hope that helps.

It is suggested, actually, that Matthew, Mark, and Luke all got information from a shared source, known as "Q". So you are quite possibly correct about that.

However, Luke's genealogy and Matthew's genealogy differ because of different audiences. Matthew is writing to show that Jesus is an ancestor of Abraham, and Luke is writing to show that Jesus is an ancestor of Adam.

As for the name differences in genealogies, would anyone else like to share their thoughts before I talk about it?

Scarlet_Teardrops

Sparkly Genius

Fighting Fefnir

Perfect Winner

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:21 pm
Well, I wasn't referring to the genealogies, actually. I meant, when compared to historical context, the events Matthew details as part of Jesus' life don't line up with Luke's details.

But yes, your point about the genealogies leads me to ask a question. Lineage in Jewish tradition is through the mother's side. For what purpose would Luke trace the male ancestry of Jesus, especially through Joseph, because Jesus doesn't have any biological tie to Joseph. I was also under the impression that his ties were traced to David and to Adam, but don't quote me on that one. I'm not sure.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:02 pm
Fighting Fefnir
Well, I wasn't referring to the genealogies, actually. I meant, when compared to historical context, the events Matthew details as part of Jesus' life don't line up with Luke's details.

But yes, your point about the genealogies leads me to ask a question. Lineage in Jewish tradition is through the mother's side. For what purpose would Luke trace the male ancestry of Jesus, especially through Joseph, because Jesus doesn't have any biological tie to Joseph. I was also under the impression that his ties were traced to David and to Adam, but don't quote me on that one. I'm not sure.

What do you mean by the historical context, if I may ask?

As for the Joseph thing, it is because, despite the fact that Jesus wasn't really Joseph's son, it stood in that culture that Jesus was Joseph's son, and that is why the lineage was traced.

They are traced all the way to Adam, yes. But Matthew stops before Luke stops because they have a different purposes in their writing.

Scarlet_Teardrops

Sparkly Genius

Fighting Fefnir

Perfect Winner

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:42 pm
By historical context I mean real world events compared to knowledge of Jesus' story. As an example from Matthew, the census that they say brought Joseph and Mary to Bethlehem happened before the year zero under a completely different person, the one before Herod.

This video helps to get across what I mean. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBufxLab5ns

As for the second half, I understand the Israelites had a very patriarchal society, but Jewish lineage has always been traced through the mother, to my knowledge.  
~Ancient Scrolls~

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games