Covenant

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Shadows-shine

Invisible Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:25 pm
I wanted to share this with the guild because I thought it was interesting and hopefully you find it interesting too! So here it is:

Quote:
To help his sons and daughters remember their promises to him--and certainly to help them remember his promises to them--God has directed that the nature and significance of those be recorded. In that process, the texts and documents preserving such promises have also been called "covenants." In fact the words testament and covenant are virtually synonymous in their theological usage, the Latin definition of testamentum being "a covenant with God, holy scripture." Thus, the Old and New Testament, as we commonly refer to them, are written testimonies or witnesses (the Latin testis
meaning "witness") of the covenants between God and man in various dispensations. Furthermore, such covenants always deal with the central issue between perfect, immortal God and imperfect, mortal man--why they are separated and they can again unite. The Latin root for covenant is convenire, "to agree, unite, come together." In short, all covenants, all testaments, all holy witnesses since the beginning have essentially been about one thing--the atonement of Jesus Christ, the at-one-ment provided every man, woman, and child if they will but receive the witness, the testi-mony of
the prophets and apostles, and honor the terms of that coming together, the convenire, or covenant, whose central feature is always the atoning sacrifice of the Son of God himself.

Quoted from Jeffrey R. Holland, Christ and the New Covenant.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:22 pm

I knew that Testaments and Covenants were basically the same.

It's pretty awesome, isn't it?

You think about the Old Covenant, or the Old Testament, and the Mosaic Law comes to mind. You think about the New Covenant, and Jesus Christ and the atoning sacrifice come to mind.

But really, the whole Bible revolves around the redemption of humankind, ultimately pointing to Jesus. One of my professors put it this way last week:

The Bible is basically three sections: Creation, The Fall, and Redemption. 98% of the Bible is Redemption. Creation and The Fall take up a very small amount in the Bible.

It's absolutely amazing. God is the same loving, saving God of the Old and New Testament.

Scarlet_Teardrops

Sparkly Genius

Shadows-shine

Invisible Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:20 am
It is!

And you know those two small portions, the Fall and Creation, if they didn't happen, then the whole plan of salvation wouldn't exist. They were a necessary part of God's plan for our lives.

And I love the fact that God is constant and unchanging. He is the same, yesterday, today and forever! That is one of my favourite scriptures!  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:14 pm

It's a good one!
We can rest assured that God won't just decide to be a jerk one day and wipe us all out, even though we all deserve it.

And we can rest assured in the fact that God is omnipotent. NOBODY can beat Him.

Scarlet_Teardrops

Sparkly Genius

Shadows-shine

Invisible Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:40 pm
YES! 3nodding  
~Ancient Scrolls~

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items