Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Official Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Guild!

Back to Guilds

Reply The Official Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Guild!
favorite quote Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

cant_delete_accounts

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 4:03 pm
What is your favorite quote from the books?

I like the line, "so long and thanks for all the fish," the last thing the dolpins told the humans before they left.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 6:23 pm
"We apologize for the inconvience," also good. 3nodding

So many good quotes, can't really pick one... unless I quote the whole thing all in one go, and I don't think you'd enjoy that too much, would you? wink

"Don't panic" is of course a classic. heart

Prolly the one I like to quote the most is "Bass players are two a penny in Han Dold City." mrgreen  

Yuki-Onna Reed

Tinnumir

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 11:44 pm
"You sass that hoopy Ford Prefect? There's a frood who really knows where his towel is."

and to quote the man himself,
"I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by."

...and this one's from The Salmon of Doubt:
"Were you not expecting to go to Albuquerque today, sir?"
"I was expecting to end up somewhere I didn't expect, I just wasn't expecting it to be Albuquerque, that's all."
"Sounds like it's an excellent destination for you, Mr. Gently. Enjoy your flight."  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 6:29 am
xd I think you all already managed to quote just about every one of my favorite quotes from them. "We apologize for the inconvience" is prolly at the top of my list for greatest in-story moments as opposed to stand alone quotes (Deadlines and Don't Panic). Also I was a fan of "He's taking a year off for tax purposes." Just the whole idea of that....  

Celdia

Ghost Chef

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 5:04 pm
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 7:06 pm
Oh, deadlines, I love that one. xd

"Even traveling despondantly is better than arriving here."

Or - "Be like the twenty-second elephant with heated value in space - bark!" mrgreen

"Hey Marvin kid, how ya doin?"
"Very badly I suspect."  

Yuki-Onna Reed

cant_delete_accounts

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 5:56 pm
I have a new favorite one!

"Arthur: If I asked you where the hell we were, would I regret it?
Ford: We're safe.
Arthur: Oh good.
Ford: We're in a small galley cabin in one of the spaceships of the Vogon Constructor Fleet.
Arthur: Ah, this is obviously some strange use of the word safe that I wasn't previously aware of."

And another!

"The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss"

And a DNA one that was in the intro to the ultimate guide!

"The history of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is now so complicated that every time I tell it I contradict myself, and whenever I do get it right I'm misquoted. So the publication of this omnibus edition seemed like a good opportunity to set the record straight--or at least firmly crooked."

ANOTHER:

" "I refuse to prove that I exist," says God, "for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing."
"But," say Man, "the Babel fish is a dead giveaway, isn't it? It could not have evolved by chance. It proves you exist, and so therefore, by your own arguments, you don't. QED."
"Oh dear," says God, "I hadn't though of that" and promply vanishes in a puff of logic. "  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 2:11 pm
This is seriously one of the most difficult questions I could try to answer regarding these books. There are just so many quoteable things in there that to narrow it down.. .. well this may take me awhile. xp  

circuit sparks

Periathien

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 4:10 pm
"And God said, 'Oh, I didn't think of that!' and disappeared into a puff of logic."

"Here, stick this fish in your ear."

I wish I could think of more, but I can't.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 7:15 pm
"Zaphod: Just pretend I have a Kill-O-Zap in my hand
Robot: You do have a Kill-O-Zap in your hand"

"The Universe - some information to help you live in it"

"NO ATTMITANCE. NOT EVEN TO AUTHORIZED PERSONNEL. YOU ARE WASTING YOUR TIME HERE. GO AWAY."

"'Do you rule the universe?' Said Zaphod.
The man smiled at him.
'I try not to,' He said 'are you wet?'"  

God-The-Rapist

Destruction Kitty

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 10:00 pm
My entry application to this guild was simply "Ford, you're turning into a penguin! Stop it!" - which is, of course, my favorite line to quote at random people. xd  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 10:11 pm
xd

One of my current favorites is "If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now."

And I WILL find some way to work it into a conversation somehow. The only problem is the times at which it would be most appropriate for me to say it (like the millions of times my mother accuses me of being extremely egotistical and such) .. are the times when I might need to ready myself for avoiding becoming a target for a flying random object of WRATH.  

circuit sparks

Destruction Kitty

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 10:15 pm
Tallest Red
are the times when I might need to ready myself for avoiding becoming a target for a flying random object of WRATH.
....which fly through the air in exactly the way that bricks don't? whee  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 10:36 pm
Unless of course...they happen to be bricks...or posses simliar characteristics...  

Ghost Chef

Yuki-Onna Reed

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 11:34 pm
But... if they fly through the air in exactly the same way that bricks don't, and you're saying that won't happen if it's an actual brick, then... eek Doesn't that mean that the only thing that won't act bricklike is a brick? The mind boggles.

Hmm... random quote time.

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems with potatoes." xd This is true.  
The Official Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Guild!

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games