"Soldiering"; As a Career

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Suicidesoldier#1

Fanatical Zealot

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:09 pm
I've been seriously considering joining the military and then trying to get into the Special Forces.

I don't have perfect 20/20 vision, so I can't be in the air force or be a Navy Seal, so that's out of the options.

So that leaves the Marines and Army. I'd like to be in the Marines and be in MARSOC, but you have to be at least a Sergeant, serve so many years in active duty and then go through a bunch of other hoops to finally be SELECTED to join. Seeing as how promotion can vary on a variety of things, and so can "selection", I'm not sure it's the best way to go.

Which leaves me with the Army. There is actually a way to fast track to the Special Forces in the Army- you can join the Airborne training school or something like that which is now actually a precursor, or at least considered a precursor to special forces, and a requirement to join any Army special forces.

At this point it's Army Ranger or "Green Beret", although I'm leaning towards Green Beret as Army Rangers are more intensely focused about running, and it's hilarious to learn that people are actually losing 10-20 pounds during training. Although either would probably be fine.

I'm pretty much physically capable and can do well over a hundred push-ups, a few hundreds crunches and I can probably run two miles under 12 minutes (sometimes I'm slower). There are other problems associated with it.

Essentially, if I was going to the military, I would want to make a career out of; I.E. I would want that to be my day job. There's also the option of being an officer, although you need to go through westpoint (?) or some other military school.

I heard that westpoint was no longer taking applications or something- so fast tracking it to being an officer seems out of the question.

Basically, if I decided to make "Soldiering" my occupation, would it be a good idea, what are the best ways to fast track and what are some of the benefits I can earn?

Seeing as how there are "Special" Requirements to be being an officer (such as having to have a college degree) what are some ways I could become an officer, as that's a reasonable full fledged "Military" Career.

As well, If I did go into special Forces, would I be granted Scholarships on my college education as well, and go through "military" college and whatnot?  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:50 am
You're going to make it a ******** fast tracking. s**t takes time.
I've been in the Army 4 years, im a Corporal *Canadian army*
My advice to you, If you really feel the need to be Special forces...
Find out if you can do it.. sign an Infantry contract. if you are able to progress then your chain of command will know what to do with you.  

instant coffee

Suicidesoldier#1

Fanatical Zealot

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:38 am
I'm thinking about ROTC, which is essentially military college. xp

If I want to do Special Forces then, I'll just go through airborne training and go after that. blaugh  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:49 am
It's very easy to get airborne in your contract when you enlist. That's what I did I got airborne and Ranger in my contract.  

Envoy_of_The Funk

Witty Elocutionist

7,000 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Elocutionist 200

Satil

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:02 am
If you want to be an officer you have to have a Bachelor's degree. No ifs, ands, or buts. It doesn't have to be from a military school. Joining ROTC through a contract and becoming an officer after graduation is a pretty common method.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:18 am
In the Army, you can start out as an officer if you have a college degree (four-year, I think) and CHOOSE to be one. You have to attend Officer Candidate School after Basic if you want to start as an officer, otherwise you will just progress through the enlisted ranks like everyone else.  

uryu ishida

Suicidesoldier#1

Fanatical Zealot

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:02 pm
Well, if I joined the military, I would go "all out" and try to be like, an Officer or Special forces unit. Or both.

Not that there's anything wrong with being an "ordinary" unit.

It's just...

I kind of want to be in the Special Forces, and if I ever decided to go in the military, that's probably what I would be gunning for.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:03 am
Officers are garbage, they are worthless unless they are prior enlisted. Be a soldier first to gain the experience. There is a program called Green to Gold, youll gain troop respect which youll need to be a successful platoon leader which you'd be. You can also go infantry and contract for Rangers. Rangers is a step in the door for SF. There is no fast way to becoming the baddest son of a b***h on earth. If you are dead set on being an officer you can get your butter bar with any degree, example..Underwater basket weaving. I have had Platoon leaders with art degrees before, and as a note i hope they died a violent death. They are the most stupid assholes ever who just dont have the skills to lead.  

Corinthius

Off Topicness

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff