Welcome to Gaia! ::

Veni Vidi Vici

Back to Guilds

A poll guild for fun-lovers, RPers, craziness, and hippies. 

Tags: poll, games 

Reply Extended Discussions
Optimism, pessimism, cynicism, hopefulness, positivity

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Easy to change perspectives?
  Yes
  No
View Results

Iakun

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:44 pm
Please bear with me here because I'm not entirely sure where I'm going with this. A recent post of Dude's got me thinking about some of my own thought patterns at times in my life. I'm only gonna paraphrase since I'm too lazy to quote the actual post he made lol. He said something along the lines of ignorance is bliss, better to live in fantasy, nothing in the world is that great blah blah...

I've had these kinds of conversations with a close friend before, where I talk about how I'd rather avoid a lot of scenarios in life because often I feel the pain isn't worth whatever good you get out of it. (relationship drama, having children, making friends etc) But are we really hardwired into thinking negatively/positively or do we honestly simply choose to think the way we do?

I'd like to say that biologically we're probably hardwired to lean a certain way, but the experiences in our lives can alter that to a degree as well. Lately I've been very cynical and negative about everything in life: society, hobbies, relationships, world events etc. Sometimes I wonder if it's really in my power to simply flip a switch and force myself to try and see the bright side of everything.

I think a lot of people might say that's psychotic, but is it really worth being all shitty negative for the sake of being "real"?  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:40 pm
I've had convos along these lines with dude multiple times. As you can see, tho, he's happy with his negativity.

As far as the Why, I think it's just like everything else about what makes us us. You start with what you're born with, certain attitudes, traits, etc. But our lives, experiences, and environments have a huge impact on us and change how we view the world.

But I also think choice plays a ginormous role. Sure, there are days when I just want to give up. We all have moods and whims. But you can choose to have a general positive outlook most of the time. Or choose not to.

I don't think this is psychotic. Pretending to be happy can lead to you feeling better. Pretending to be sad or angry has the same effect. So why not control it better? It's just how the brain works.

I spent years of my youth being "all shitty negative" for the sake of being "real." In the end, I came to the conclusion that it WASN'T worth it. I had missed out on a lot of positive experiences as a result. Even the shallow, "empty" things have some value when they make you happy. Life is too short to not be happy. And being "real" doesn't have to mean just the bad stuff. Good stuff is real too. You might have to look harder for it or learn to flip life over and see the other side, but it's better than depressing yourself and everyone around you for no good reason.

Being happy is nothing but an attitude. I've seen happy people who have nothing but a single outlet for their energies and passions, whether it's a person, their job, or a hobby. And I've seen miserable people who have every apparent reason to be happy. I really think there's more choice involved than people realize.

I chose to be more positive. Maybe I'm not the happiest or most optimistic person in the world. I try to be realistic without focusing on the negative. And I try to be optimistic without overlooking reality. It's a fine line, but I choose to walk it.

purpleravenhawk
Captain

Iakun

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:14 pm
Wow. lol This was sorta intended to be an extended discussion but I have to be honest, your post seriously helped me and brightened my mood.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:54 pm
Yes! surprised I always aim to help people, but I don't always see the results. Thank you for letting me know. whee *snuggles*  

purpleravenhawk
Captain

Extended Discussions

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces