Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Chief Chilly

4,500 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Forum Regular 100
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:57 pm
Alright, I'm going to get straight to the point, and try not to waste anyone's time with this question:

So I was at a spiritual retreat a while back (last year I think) and one of the last activities we had was we were given a list of common sins and we had to circle ones we were responsible for. As you can probably guess, fetishism was on that list.

Now a little thing to note is that I, unfortunately, have a fetish myself and have been working like crazy to try and get rid of it.

Now I come to you guys asking a question: what exactly is so wrong about a fetish? I just want to know. I know there is something wrong with it and that my work isn't going to waste, but I'd like to know what it is.

You don't have to answer or respond for that matter, but I would appreciate if you'd at least read this and give it some consideration.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:07 pm
It's the obsession or idolatry of an act, characteristic, trait, or thing. According to the bible, we are to sacrifice our old selves once we accept Jesus Christ as our Savior and into our hearts. This sacrifice of the self means sacrificing addictions and obsessions. We are not to be caught up with worldly things when are looking to furthering our education of God and developing our faith in Jesus Christ.

Colossians 3:1-4
3Since, then, you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above, where Christ is seated at the right hand of God. 2Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things. 3For you died, and your life is now hidden with Christ in God. 4When Christ, who is your life, appears, then you also will appear with him in glory.

A worldly obsession will only hinder our faith and hold us back. We are to shed ourselves of this hindrances in order to build a strong faith and keep our connection to the Lord strong. We are to burn with passion for Jesus Christ, but not to be obsessed with worldly things. This, in my humble opinion, is why fetishism is spiritually unhealthy.

According to www.webster-merridian.com/dictionary, Fetishism is defined as: "belief in magical fetishes", "extravagant irrational devotion", "the pathological displacement of erotic interest and satisfaction to a fetish". These are things that conflict with the Christian faith since we are called to devote everything we have to the Lord.

Wishboxx

Chief Chilly

4,500 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Forum Regular 100
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:10 pm
Oh wow, how did I forget something like this? Thanks for the fast reply.

Now that I come to think about, I do see your point about hindering our faith. Maybe this is why I'm making little progress in Christianity.

Well thanks for proving this much needed information.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:15 pm
You're very welcome. (: I pray that you continue to further your education in God and make an even stronger bond with the Lord.

<3

Wishboxx

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:24 am
i think that fetishes are fine as long as hey arent too extreme and you dont let them rule your life. know that god and his wants come first and your desires come last  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:24 am
Shanna66
i think that fetishes are fine as long as hey arent too extreme and you dont let them rule your life. know that god and his wants come first and your desires come last

But according to the bible, fetishes and obsessions aren't okay with God. So wouldn't that contradict your first statement?

Wishboxx

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:01 pm
Wishboxx
Shanna66

But according to the bible, fetishes and obsessions aren't okay with God. So wouldn't that contradict your first statement?

i believe that some obsessions are ok within reason  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:13 pm
Shanna66

i believe that some obsessions are ok within reason

That's our human reasoning. Our carnal mind and deceitful hearts get us to reason with whatever sin we're committing to make it sound okay and make us feel less guilty. If you believe the bible is God-breathed, would it not stand to reason that we should rely on God's word to lead us through this life? Or are we to indulge in what we like because it's convenient for us?

Wishboxx

Fighting Fefnir

Perfect Winner

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:09 pm
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that the wrong word has been used here. Fetishism is, as has been defined, an idolatrous thing. However, I have a feeling that the subject matter was fetishes, which is a different thing. Those would be a preference for sexual relations of a certain type that is not the accepted norm, at least in colloquial understanding. Fetishes are not against the Bible, but fetishism is. The OP's saying he's trying to get rid of a (singular) fetishism isn't the proper terminology based on the context, so it's possible you're talking about different things.

Fetish - preference
Fetishism - obsession to the point of idolatry  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:12 pm
@ Fighting Fefnir: This is true. If this is the case, then it would really depend on what sort of fetish the OP has.  

Wishboxx

~Ancient Scrolls~

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff